keeping dogs from jumping on the gate when we come home

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dixies momma

keeping dogs from jumping on the gate when we come home

Post by Dixies momma »

ok so i have bella, diesel and dixie. i would like to know how to train them to stop jumping on the gate when we get home etc. dixie already know sit, stay, wait etc. diesel and bella on the other hand have no desire to figure things out(so it seems) when i try to work with them with treats. they want the treat and keep jumping to get it. training them is very diff from when i trained dixie. any suggestions with that as well?
many thanks
Jake n Dixies momma
jacksdad

Re: keeping dogs from jumping on the gate when we come home

Post by jacksdad »

treats might not be the best here. The higher value reward maybe your attention. try working on a greeting ritual that has you as the reward. might need to be shaped and with 3 dogs not entirely sure how you would do that being I only have one dog.

But to example what I am thinking, and I am sure others with multi dog experience will chime in with ideas too...

Anyway, I would just stand at the gate until my dog sat for even just a second...then try and go in and greet him. if he were to get up...close gate and step back and wait for the sit again. you might have to accepts close is close enough to get started, then slowly increase the standard by which he has to perform to for you to open the gate and come in and greet.

just an idea, not sure if it's a good one or not.

but if nothing else, this gets you bumped up on the list of threads needing help :lol:
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I agree with jacksdad.

But, you will have to teach it to each dog seperately and practise it seperately untill they all know it. Then you have to start again with 2 dogs at a time, and then with all 3 of them
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Poloplatinum

Post by Poloplatinum »

Dixies in a situation like this consistency is key. Let me walk you through the steps.

1) Ensure that somebody else is home before you get their. (if possible)
2) Have them take 2 out the three dogs inside. Start out with only Dixie outside.
3) Do exactly as Jacksdad has said except when they jump on the fence turn around and walk the other way. If you have a corner where you go so that youre dog does not see you that is even better.
4) Wait 3-5 seconds
5) Try again if youre dog jumps on the fence repeat steps 3-5
6) After Dixie has learned that you are not going into gate until she doesnt jump than give her the sit and stay command (before you enter the gate) and wait another 3-5 seconds and then enter and give her a nice and calm "good girl" with a little pat on the head.
7) After Dixie has this down then you can introduce your next dog (introduce your wildest or least obiedient dog last). Many dogs learn best by watching other dogs. Now, you are obviously not expecting bella/diesel to sit and stay but you might be surprised. Repeat steps 1-5 until Diesel/Bella are nice and CALM before you enter.
8) It is very important that your second dog see you rewarding Dixie for her good behavior. She will notice this and catch on a little bit earlier this way.
9) After 2-3 pups have stopped jumping on the fence it is time to bring out the third. Again, repeat all of the steps listed above and be very very very patient and you will be rewarded. When you bring out the third dog it is again very important to reward the first two dogs good behavior IN FRONT of the third dog.

Youre dogs are jumping because they love you SOOOOO much and they know that it gets your attention. So instead of giving them treats when stop jumping on the fence ensure that they know that they must not jump on the fence AT ALL and be calm before they get any love or treats.
ALWAYS trust your dog.
Poloplatinum

Post by Poloplatinum »

Just to add into step 1: You want to ensure that somebody is there 1st so that THEY can be the person who puts the dog inside 15 minutes before you get home and not you... I wouldnt make much sense if you had to put 2 dogs inside and then pretend like you are coming home again to train the 1st dog. The whole key with this is your calmness in the situation. Much of dog training is acting. You must act like it is no big deal when you come home and it shouldnt be that big of a deal to them either.
ALWAYS trust your dog.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Thanks for the assist Melissa and Poloplantinum

This greeting issue the op has is very similar to what my dog does, I was just drawing a blank on how to address it with multiple dogs.

This situation is a great reminder though of how reward does not have to be food/treats. even my dog who would probably sell his soul for food, doesn't always get a food reward. I have used just my attention and even getting to sniff as rewards.
Poloplatinum

Post by Poloplatinum »

The most effective treat is always praise... b/c it won't make your dog fat :lol: and you can always give it to them...
ALWAYS trust your dog.
Dixies momma

Post by Dixies momma »

ah yes sort of like what victoria does when people come visit inside the home but i use the theory in gate node. hmm....glad u mentioned having someone to help with it. many thanks on that.
as i said earlier it seemed dixie was so much easier to train least quicker to learn., it seems my dachshunds are a whole diff matter. i just got a book for dummies on their breed and i just started reading it and it mentioned they are one of the stubborn breeds and if not trained properly they will have a mind of their own to to what they want. i am thinking that has happened bc one is 2 and the other is 1 yr old. so i will have my work cut out for me it seems. any suggestions on that? food treats? they love pepperoni BUT they obviously dont seem to want to sit for it. instead they dance and jump.
thanks
Jake n Dixies momma
Poloplatinum

Post by Poloplatinum »

Getting your dog to sit is the easiest command to teach your dog. Make sure that you do this with one dog at a time in a room with minimal distractions. Get a SMALL piece of pepperoni and raise it above their head slight behind them. They will dance, bark and do all of that stuff and then you will see the wheels turning when they realize "Hey, I gotta do something do get this". That is almost always the time when they sit. When their butt hits the floor say "sit". Only one time but in a pleasant, teaching tone of voice. Do this 3 times and then make sure that you end your dog on a good note! Act like you just won the lottery and you are just soooooooo pleased and truly act excited and then put him up and move on to the next dog. It is important to always end your dog on a good note b/c they will be eager to learn on their next training session. Make sense? :D
ALWAYS trust your dog.
Poloplatinum

Post by Poloplatinum »

And yes I found this technique from watching victoria in action
ALWAYS trust your dog.