And then he does something SO sweet ...

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MichelleD

And then he does something SO sweet ...

Post by MichelleD »

I know i post a lot about my "beast" and how difficult he is to manage outdoors ... so I have to share how sweet he was yesterday, he can be so endearing (which is what is keeping him in my home these days!).

I have a very fragile neck and upper back and it doesn't take much to throw it out sometimes (which is another issue with all of his lunging and pulling on walks). Yesterday morning I got a "twist" in my upper back and it's excruciating. It hurts to move in any direction, can't lay down, etc. I went to the chiropractor twice yesterday, and I'm going back today.

Anyway, yesterday afternoon I laid down on the bed with an ice pack under my shoulder and it was SO painful just getting into that position that I moaned and winced and nearly cried at the pain. Gordon -- my beast -- put his cute little head right on my arm and sat there for a few minutes looking concerned, and then just laid down on the floor next to my bed. Didn't get up until I did a few hours later. So sweet!!

OK .. so I do have a question now! I've shortened his walks and kept them to times of the day when there's (hopefully) fewer dogs and fewer distractions which has helped. But now at night he gets a MAJOR case of the "zoomies" (I saw someone use that word on one of the other forums, and it's perfect!) -- he races through the house, sometimes picks up a toy or a rawhide and throws it, barks at it, throws it again ...

Now with my back pain the walks will be extremely difficult for the next several days until I get back into alignment ... what can I do to at least keep his mind occupied in the house since outdoor exercise will be limited?

Thanks!
emmabeth

Re: And then he does something SO sweet ...

Post by emmabeth »

Check out the mind games thread in the health/diet/exercise area, theres lots of stuff you can do.

Clicker train, puzzle games, destruction boxes, meals from food dispensing toys... exercising the mind is very tiring!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

They do this so we can't help but love them Michelle. My evil hound from hell cuddles up to me and takes care of me after I have a seizure. If he hears a bang when I'm in the shower and my husband isn't home he comes rushing in to check on me. Not sure what he'd do if I'd fallen or something but it's the thought that counts :lol: If I'm ill he's as gentle as he knows how to be and will cuddle up to me for hours and hours.
Carol F. King

Post by Carol F. King »

Training a loose lead heel. Take a very high quality (to the dog) treat (something he will sell his soul for.) I use ham. I buy it in the packaged deli section of the grocery store. It is small chunks of ham cut up to use in a salad or omelet. I then put it in several plastic sandwich bags, and freeze. When I need it for training I take one sandwich bag and put it in my pocket. My body heat defrost the ham.

Put a piece of ham in your left hand (the side the dog is to walk on) make sure the dog smells it, and knows it is in your hand. Hold that hand with the treat at your side next to your leg. Believe me if the dog is motivated by food his nose will be right at your hand trying to get the treat. Let him lick, nibble etc. About every 3 steps (at first) give the dog the treat and say "good heal". It will take about 520 times before the dog associates the words with being next to your leg. It will take about 3 times for the dog to figure out, he gets a treat if he keeps his head near your hand and stays in that spot.

This will stop the dog from pulling. I saw Victoria use this with dogs on her show. I use it all the time. With a tiny dog it is a back breaker (bending over and walking that way so the dog is able to reach my hand with the treat.)

So you can save the pain of your back and teach the dog to walk on a loose lead at the same time.

This is a good example of why teaching our dogs good manners is a must. When we are hurt and can't deal with the pulling, if we trained the dog, we don't have to deal with it while in pain.

Carol F. KIng
MichelleD

Post by MichelleD »

Sarah83 wrote:They do this so we can't help but love them Michelle. My evil hound from hell cuddles up to me and takes care of me after I have a seizure. If he hears a bang when I'm in the shower and my husband isn't home he comes rushing in to check on me. Not sure what he'd do if I'd fallen or something but it's the thought that counts :lol: If I'm ill he's as gentle as he knows how to be and will cuddle up to me for hours and hours.
Awww ... "it's the thought that counts" lol!
MichelleD

Post by MichelleD »

emmabeth wrote:Check out the mind games thread in the health/diet/exercise area, theres lots of stuff you can do.

Clicker train, puzzle games, destruction boxes, meals from food dispensing toys... exercising the mind is very tiring!
Will do!
MichelleD

Post by MichelleD »

Thanks Carol -- I continue to work on loose leash training with him, including a heel ... the issue is his intense prey drive and volatile reactivity to other dogs. Haven't found a treat yet that will convince him not to lunge at a dog on a walk. Yet. But I have had some success with a high value treat in the backyard where he can see a neighbor's dog two houses down. Not great success, but SOME success! Timing is everything ...

I've found roasted chicken works well. I will never again use a hot dog!! Ugh ... I won't even describe how awful his eliminations were for the next 2 days ... never, never, never again! :lol: