Need housetaining advise for 8 week old

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Blansten

Need housetaining advise for 8 week old

Post by Blansten »

I do understand that at 8 weeks he really has no control and it's up to me to make sure he gets out regularly.

The details

Olde English Bulldogge (named Moe)
Eating Royal Canin puppy food (it's what the breeder fed them and I don't want to change it for a few weeks until he is settled)
8 weeks old
Have had him 40 hours
Has already made his crate his "den"
I have a schedule for him and write down when he goes

The Story

Friday went really well no mistakes inside and lots of praise outside
Saturday morning he threw up at 4 am, 4:30 and 8 he had diarrhea and was lethargic and would not eat or drink much water. I called the breeder and found out that before I got him he had been chewing on grass and a shrub. I took him to the vet at 1pm. After the vets he was showing signs of improvement and ate his 5pm meal (I gave him the normal portion). He had one accident which was entirely my fault for confusing pre-pee sniffing with exploring.

He slept until 4am when I took him outside and he peed. He ate his 6am feeding and had another accident when he peed immediately and not 20 minutes later like he had Friday night. I took him out immediately and he pooed and I praised him. Inside I quietly cleaned up and directed him to his toys. After playtime I again missed his signal because it is so like his researching sniffing (not an excuse I accept full responsibility)

Finally the Question
How badly have I set him back. I have gotten to the point where I am taking him out every 20 minutes but he only plays and tries to eat more plants. I take him out when he wakes up from a nap and will now switch to immediately after he eats. If I take him out when he doesn't have to go will that just confuse him, or am better safe than sorry. I know his being sick has thrown him off I am just hoping I haven't messed up too badly by missing his cues. Also he is too little for stairs so I have to carry him and I am not sure if he connects the door with what leads him to his potty area.

Due to his illness I have really just been working on recall (easy with a puppy) and teaching him what to chew.

Hope that made sense I am aware that I am being a bit neurotic, I am being as calm as possible with Moe though :wink:
Zeldacorgi

Re: Need housetaining advise for 8 week old

Post by Zeldacorgi »

From my perspective, you haven't set him back in the least. I too was a neurotic puppy owner, and I was convince one piddle in the house would take years to correct (I too knew that was silly). :D My puppy is now 5 months, nearly broken and still has about one accident every week, sometimes none at all! Your puppy is going to have plenty of accidents despite your best intentions. Just continue keeping a diligent potty schedule. You'll see plenty of improvement in no time.

Taking him out when he doesn't have to go won't confuse him because he doesn't yet know where he needs to go. Taking him out often at this stage is providing him with the opportunity to get it right, so keep doing it and keep praising every time you see him potty outside. Messing inside when he's sick, while not ideal, is a little different than your run of the mill potty accident. Again, don't worry. I also dealt with a sick puppy for a week with lots of mess in the house. Once she was better, training resumed as normal.

This is my long winded way of saying, You're doing great! Keep up the good work!

I'm curious, are you thinking about switching him to something different than the RC? I think you're ok to wait a couple weeks before switching to let him settle, but really you don't have to wait too long if that's the plan.
Blansten

Post by Blansten »

I want to switch him to Wellness (gradually when I do) I have done some research and I like the ingredients in Wellness and the fact that it is Natural. I work full time and don't have the time to make his food myself. I am however lucky enough to be able to take him to work with me so I will be able to stick to the schedule. He has a crate ready in my office and I have lots of help there for when I am in meetings, plus it will be good socialization for him.

Thanks for the reassurance :D it has been a zany first couple of days.

He will be starting puppy classes in the next week or so as well. I have sat in on a couple of the trainers classes and she uses positive methods and corrects the owners when they are too harsh.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I think you are doing pretty well, dont beat yourself up!

Take him out frequently, give him just a few minutes to go and then come back in - instead of taking him out and waiting aaaaaaaaaages for him to go, because then he will play around and mess about too..

If he DOES go, praise and reward and have a good game with him outside, so that the over all message over the next few months is going to be ... 'potty first.... play later' and you will produce a dog who potties as soon as he gets outside! Very useful!

A few accidents at first is no big deal, obviously you try to keep them to a minimum but they are not the end of the world - you will soon learn the difference between 'mooching for a poo' and just 'mooching about' but it is hard at first!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Blansten

Post by Blansten »

Thanks for the kind words and good advise.
leslie123

Post by leslie123 »

Welcome to the board Blansten. I'm a crazy new puppy owner too! My pup is around 14 wks now and only having one or two accidents a week. I feel so lucky because he sleeps all night and keeps his sleeping area dry all night! We put him to bed around 11 and he gets up around 5:30am before my husband leaves for work. We missed his cues the first two weeks too, when he wanted to go outside. He's learned to be much more direct with us on wanting to go outside which makes me very proud. I taught him "touch" the second week we had him because I was wanting to hang a bell by the door and teach him to ring it to go out. I haven't actually got the bell where he can reach it on his own and touch it to ring it yet. We do try to remember to pick it up and have him touch it, then we say outside and off we go. A couple days ago, he did use touch to get me to take him out though. He just kept touching my arm, then looking at me. After the third time I was like.. "OH.. you want to go out!" Duh, sometimes owners can be slow, lol. I was pretty proud of him nonetheless. :D
Blansten

Post by Blansten »

leslie123 wrote:Welcome to the board Blansten. I'm a crazy new puppy owner too! My pup is around 14 wks now and only having one or two accidents a week. I feel so lucky because he sleeps all night and keeps his sleeping area dry all night! We put him to bed around 11 and he gets up around 5:30am before my husband leaves for work. We missed his cues the first two weeks too, when he wanted to go outside. He's learned to be much more direct with us on wanting to go outside which makes me very proud. I taught him "touch" the second week we had him because I was wanting to hang a bell by the door and teach him to ring it to go out. I haven't actually got the bell where he can reach it on his own and touch it to ring it yet. We do try to remember to pick it up and have him touch it, then we say outside and off we go. A couple days ago, he did use touch to get me to take him out though. He just kept touching my arm, then looking at me. After the third time I was like.. "OH.. you want to go out!" Duh, sometimes owners can be slow, lol. I was pretty proud of him nonetheless. :D
That's a great idea, 14 weeks sounds so far away but we will get there.

Today was a great day with Moe. He is back to full form and full of puppy energy which is great to see after this weekend. At work he has met so many people who have convinced him that he is the cutest puppy ever now when he sees someone new he bounds towards them and soaks up the adoration, on the rare occasion when someone just walks by him and don't say anything he looks confuse (he's getting a big head). He has had a couple play dates with a 14 year old Boxer puppy and they have gone really well, she gives him the smack down when he starts thinking he's all that. He has also met some very patient and well behaved adult dogs. The icing on the cake though was when we got home he played a bit then walked to the front door, I opened it he walked out and down the stairs (he just learned how yesterday) and went 1&2 in the right place. I couldn't believe my eyes, I don't think I have ever been more proud. I know there will be a lot more mistakes but it was so encouraging to get a glimpse of what life will eventually be like. I am on a puppy high at the moment :D