My dog grabs other dog's neck while playing

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Jesse

My dog grabs other dog's neck while playing

Post by Jesse »

We have a 1 year old terrier/fox hound mix. His name is Jesse and he is a wonderful healthy, happy dog. We got him 2 months ago from a local shelter. He was brought here to NYC from North Carolina by the local shelter along with a bunch of others who were going to be killed. We have a feeling he was very much an out door dog.

Until now there were no behavior problems of any kind. A few weeks ago we noticed he started holding onto the neck skin of most dogs he plays with at our local dog runs. He doesn't bite the neck but holds onto it sometimes tightly. While we have been told that is a form of dog play it has a scary look to it and bothers the dogs owners. (If it happened to Jesse it would probably concern me.) Every time I separate Jesse from the other dog the other dog returns to continue playing with Jesse which tells me the other dog is not being hurt but it still worries the owners which I understand.

A dog owner told me that Jesse may have picked up this new habit from pit bulls since he plays with them a good bit at the run but the man who owns the shelter we got Jesse from says its not uncommon playing behavior for many dogs not just pit bulls.

I wonder if this behavior could be part of his breed since he is part hound.

Can anyone offer ways to stop this neck grabing?

Thanks a lot for any help.
Zeldacorgi

Re: My dog grabs other dog's neck while playing

Post by Zeldacorgi »

As long as it's not getting out of hand (read-causing fights or blood), there is nothing wrong with it. My corgi and her playmate (a dachshund/chihuahua) play like this too. They grab each others necks, lips, jowls, etc. It's how dogs play, and when they're puppies, it's part of learning bite inhibition. It does look a bit scary. That combined with a paranoid dog owner is what I believe is going on.

The other dog will tell your dog if it's too much. But you'll just want to stay on the look out for the situation escalating (increased growl intesity, more teeth being bared than is "normal", tenser body posture). I don't know if you can get him to stop playing like this (although others might have something to add to that). I'll be interested to see what others have to say.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

If the other dogs are returning to him to continue play thats a good sign they are not worried by it.

If he introduces himself politely and plays nicely until he 'knows' the dog and then this element of play is introduced, thats ok too..

Really the time I would worry is, if thats his FIRST approach to another dog... if he does it and the other dog clearly doesnt like it and he doesnt heed their 'get off yuck horrible' response.

I would work on his recall away from games so that you can call him back when you think the game is getting out of hand, or to demonstrate to other owners you ARE in control (which may make them happier about it).
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

BIG thanks to you both. I stay close to Jesse playing all the time so the other owner sees I'm aware and on top of it. Your comments are very spot on in that it is a problem that the other owners don't get what is actually going as far as understanding its ok dog play behavior but to be fair I will work on recall a good deal to nip it in the bud if it gets out of hand.
Thanks again.
junebug

Post by junebug »

It's really very normal. Some dogs are mouthier than others. It doesn't happen so much anymore, but when Juno was younger it was just normal for her to come home from the dog park with scabs on her neck (she's a boxer, so with short-haired dogs I imagine it doesn't take much for their skin to get scraped). She always ends up playing with the super mouthy dogs.

I think your biggest issue here is simply going to be the other owners. It's all in play, and if the other dogs continue playing with him then they clearly aren't bothered by his style.... but unfortunately many people think biting and/or growling equals aggression. When he's playing with a dog this way, I would just ask the other owner if they're comfortable with it. If they are, cool; if not, you definitely want to have a good recall in place or at least be able to go grab him (I have to add that last part in because my own dog dodges me if I go get her :roll: ).

It seems like most dogs I see at our dog park play rough like this, so I'm kind of surprised that the other people at your park aren't more familiar with it!
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

junebug wrote:It's really very normal. Some dogs are mouthier than others. It doesn't happen so much anymore, but when Juno was younger it was just normal for her to come home from the dog park with scabs on her neck (she's a boxer, so with short-haired dogs I imagine it doesn't take much for their skin to get scraped). She always ends up playing with the super mouthy dogs.

I think your biggest issue here is simply going to be the other owners. It's all in play, and if the other dogs continue playing with him then they clearly aren't bothered by his style.... but unfortunately many people think biting and/or growling equals aggression. When he's playing with a dog this way, I would just ask the other owner if they're comfortable with it. If they are, cool; if not, you definitely want to have a good recall in place or at least be able to go grab him (I have to add that last part in because my own dog dodges me if I go get her :roll: ).

It seems like most dogs I see at our dog park play rough like this, so I'm kind of surprised that the other people at your park aren't more familiar with it!
Many are ok but some aren't. Some get upset so I stay close. Yesterday Jesse played with a few dogs at the run and all was great. A lot of give and take that included the neck stuff but they were trading it. Also the owners were knowledgeable and all was very good. I see need to improve Jesse's 'recall'. He comes when I call but not when things get intense.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

There is a "right" time to call, and that is when he stops and looks at you. It is a very short time and most people miss it as often as they get it, until they are tuned in.

He will not hear you when he is highly aroused in play-fight and it is a mistake to want him to, as if he is distracted while in mid-tussle, another dog might take the chance and go in with something harder than play in mind. They are animals highly tuned to detect even a moment of weakness, and then damage may be done. Think of children and how quickly over-active play turns to tears.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Very valuable info! Thanks!
DeeDeesMom

Post by DeeDeesMom »

This was a very informative post, I am having the same issues with my dog as well. But I wanted to see if the OP had these issues as well (and if anyone can comment/feedback that would be great).

We believe Dee Dee is a Beagle Pit mix, about 27lbs and we've had her a little over 2 months now. She's roughly 9-10 months old and she was very content to just run at the dog park until she started playing with dogs about a month 1/2 ago. She started playing rough with older bigger dogs, and now that's all she really wants to do. Her best friend at the dog park is a Boston, who plays just as rough she she does.

My husband and I notice that she dishes/takes it with certain dogs. If the other dog can take it, she submits and lets them over power her. if another dog does not play as rough as she does, and is more submissive, she never gives them a chance to be 'dominate' in the play.

Once, a dog just laid on its back and Dee Dee was gripping it by the scruff of the neck and trying to drag it! :(
The owner was naturally upset (as my Husband and I were) and after we 'broke it up' the dog still wanted to play with Dee Dee!

I fully understand the rough play, she's a puppy she's going to do it. I agree some owners are a bit overprotective of their dogs, and Dee Dee's size tends to intimidate play with owners with smaller dogs. I try to be considerate of the owners, but sometimes I just want to say 'f your dog didn't want to play with mine, it would make that clear"-- but it's really no use in saying that... When larger dogs in a pack single Dee Dee out as the rabbit I get concerned too... it's all relative.

But should I be concerned about this dominate play she has with some dogs (she's also overly dominate with puppies- only of the large kind)?
I am glad someone asked this Q... hopefully my RE goes deeper into the 'problem'.