Setting dog up for success-a cautionary tale

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Zeldacorgi

Setting dog up for success-a cautionary tale

Post by Zeldacorgi »

Not so much seeking advice, but offering it for all those out there who are frustrated that your dog just won't do "it" your way. I had a bit of an I-told-you-so moment with my boyfriend tonight (although a bit hard to rub it in when he's bleeding that much :wink: ).

Since the day I brought Zelda home, all the mens in my life (the boyfriend and his friends) have had this desire to lay on their backs and let puppy squirm all over their persons, more so their faces. And from day one, I have been against this. Anyone who has ever dealt with an overexcited puppy knows why. I've tried so hard to discourage this type of play because a) I didn't want her rehearsing the behavior that she can jump ON faces when people lay on the ground; and b) someone was going to get hurt. So up until now, I've failed in discouraging...really hard when boyfriend and I clash on the subject, but the one thing I absolutely would not permit was anyone scolding Zelda if she did nip/bite/scratch.

All the boys have suffered a nip or two in several areas that I'm sure hurt like a mo fo. But none so great as the bite tonight. Boyfriend was on his back on the floor. I saw Zelda getting WAY too excited and told him to stand up and stop allowing her to play like that. I walked out of the room, and when I came back, he was laying on the floor again. No sooner did I sit down did I hear a sound like someone just got a piercing. He yelped and immediately put his hand over his ear. First thing I said was, "Do NOT get mad at her." He walked over to me and asked me to look. She sliced the bumpy cartilage above his ear lobe, and like most head injuries, it bled a lot. It took a few minutes to get the bleeding under control enough to bandage him up.

So, the moral of the story: set your dogs up for success. If you constantly encourage situations, play, handling that is rough, your dog will respond in kind AND think that response is ok. If something is too much for your dog, back off. Let then calm, cool, and relax. But if you insist on encouraging those situations, be fair. Ultimately, the "bad" behavior you get in return is NOT the dog's fault.

For my lesson, I learned that I need to be more forceful with people who I feel are encouraging bad behavior with my puppy. I don't care if they continue to think I'm a nutter! I set out to raise my dog well, and that's exactly what I'm going to do to the best of my ability. I think I now have the full support of my partner. Sadly, it took him almost losing a chunk of ear to come around.
Nettle

Re: Setting dog up for success-a cautionary tale

Post by Nettle »

I love you for posting that :D Thank you.

I'm always telling people not to roughouse with their dog. It's very hard to get the point across. I hope some will read what you have to say and understand it's not about being mean, it's about having a sensible relationship with the dog.

Funnily enough, a puppy that pees with excitement gets quicker results than one that nips! :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

My OH likes do to this sort of thing too...

What has stopped him is Errol... who is, not to put too fine a point on it.. a randy little git.

So they were rolling around on the floor and Errol winds up stood over Mikes head.... and started HUMPING HIS FACE.

Yep - they dont roll around on the floor now! I laughed so hard I nearly peed, and BOY do i wish i had a camera - I think Mike washed his face so much he took a layer of skin off too!

Another friend of mine ahs a labrador who liked to play rough with her partner - she took a different option and put the behaviour on a cue so the dog would ONLY play rough if given the command 'trample' - once told to 'trample' she would utterly flatten anyone sat on the floor, but this was a game with no teeth involved just paws and a furious washing.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Another friend of mine ahs a labrador who liked to play rough with her partner - she took a different option and put the behaviour on a cue so the dog would ONLY play rough if given the command 'trample' - once told to 'trample' she would utterly flatten anyone sat on the floor, but this was a game with no teeth involved just paws and a furious washing.
I did something similar and taught Rupert that he absolutely MUST have something in his mouth if he wants to play rough. There was no way on earth I was going to be able to stop people wrestling with Rupe and this was easy enough to teach. Our command is more body language than verbal though. He loves rough play but gentle wasn't in his vocabulary at one point, he bit and he bit hard enough to draw blood. He's nowhere near as bad now, teeth barely touch skin if he mouths now and most of it is pushing and pawing but I still insist on that toy for playing.

As with any other game, we have rules for it. It ends when we say enough, it ends if he gets over excited, it ends if he drops the toy and doesn't pick it back up. In all honesty we have more problems with his desire to be cuddled up as closely as possible than with wrestling with him. Get down on the floor here and you WILL have a dog cuddled up to you, usually with his head on your lap and an elbow somewhere painful.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Emms, I told Mr. Nettle this, and he was helpless for some time :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
leslie123

Post by leslie123 »

Oh my gosh, its so good to know I'm not alone in this battle!! Thank you for posting. What is with the guys and always wanting to play rough? Please any males reading feel free to chime in! I'm standing my ground as well on this matter though. In six months or so, Sulley will be somewhere near 75 lbs I suspect and not much fun if he's jumping all over everyone. Well, if they don't listen I can always hope for a humping the face moment to cure them! :lol: :lol:
Zeldacorgi

Post by Zeldacorgi »

I certainly hate to make the generalization that it's a guy thing, but in this case it really seems to be true. And as a result, all of them just can't understand why she's accidentally drawn blood on 5 men, and never on me or other girls. I really think from her early interactions that she thinks men can take harder bites than women. It boggles the mind! :)
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

It seems our dogs are better at training our OHs than we are :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]