Simple (sort of) question about puppy training schedule

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

leslie123

Simple (sort of) question about puppy training schedule

Post by leslie123 »

Hi! I've searched through the forums and I can't seem to find any threads that address my question. If I'm missing it please point me in the right direction. :D

We've had our puppy Sulley for 3 weeks now. He's half white German Sheperd and half Great Pyrenees. We started his basic obedience the first week we got him. Sit, down and come initially then added in wait the next week along with find me (just for fun) and touch. This week I added shake and roll over along with leave it (because of our two cats). He was only worked for about 15-20 mins once a day the first week and always ending the sessions on a positive note. The second week I added a second session on a couple of the days. This week I also added second sessions to about four days. To be honest, I really have no clue if I'm working him too much, not enough or if its too many commands to learn for his age. He's very responsive, and so far we've only used treats, no clicker. He sits, touches and lays down very well with sporadic treats. Most everything else requires a treat every time. So right now I basically have these questions:

How much time per day is effective to spend on training or what signs can I look for to see that he's "done"?
He is very intrigued by sound, is there a way I can use this in training to help him focus/learn along with making it fun?
I just ordered this book today http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159253 ... ss_product Does anyone have any experience or comments about it? It does use clickers, so I hope I won't confuse things if I introduce a clicker.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and help out a new owner. Oh and a little bit more background. I have two teens and a husband who are participating, but I am doing the bulk of the training at this point.
Noobs

Re: Simple (sort of) question about puppy training schedule

Post by Noobs »

Honestly, with a young pup if you can devote 15-20 minutes in one session, then you may want to break it up. 2-3 minutes for several sessions. Keep it short, keep it fun, play in between, etc. Sounds like you're doing pretty well otherwise!
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Sounds like Sulley is one smart cookie! My Charley-dog is smarter than I am :lol: . We adopted him when he was 5mths old, and I was amazed at how long he could focus on a training session - and that he really wanted to! He's always been very food motivated and he l-o-ve-s earning food :D If he started to really confuse commands and get frustrated, I'd go back to something really basic and then end the session with a success. If he wandered away (only happened a few times), I'd call his name excitedly, give him a food reward for even a glance at me, and then end the session. But other than those situations he would work for 10, 15, 20mins - more if I had the time!

If this sounds like Sulley, I'd say go for it. But I'd also take Noobs' advice an do short sessions, too - that way Sulley gets used to focusing on you for different lengths of time so that things don't get predictable and boring. Also, for the "long" sessions I'll have Charley "wait" in one room while I walk into another, then "come", then do some other commands in the "new" room, etc. And having him "sit" and "watch me" before going outside helped me start to figure out how to reward him without treats (because he loves going outside). So you can do little stuff like this with Sulley throughout the day so that he learns good stuff happens for paying attention to you even if it's not in a training "session".

If Sulley is interested in noises, it sounds like he'd enjoy clicker training. There's some great posts on this forum about how to do it right so your dog learns that the "click" means "yes, that was the right thing to do". Here's the clicker training article: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I would be working every day, but for 5/10 minutes at a time, several times a day... whilst its great that he is staying focussed on you for 15/20 minute sessions its likely he could learn a lot faster and more effectively in smaller chunks, and you drastically decrease the risk of him getting bored or 'sour'.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
leslie123

Post by leslie123 »

You guys are awesome! This is exactly the kind of information I need. I've been around dogs a lot, (worked in a vet clinic for a while before I was married and also lived with a family who showed Danes) but this is the first time I have a puppy of my own to be responsible and care for. Sounds kind of funny to say that at 45, but hey, we all have to start somewhere. :D I will try breaking it down into smaller increments throughout the day when possible and see how that goes. He is a serious napper and often its all I can do to get him out for a potty break during the day. I'm also thinking that the shorter and more little sessions will be great for getting everyone involved. Thank you so much, I will keep posting on our progress.