Agility

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Christie

Agility

Post by Christie »

I want Agility equipment my sister was going to buy me that for Chrismas last year but my father said no even though I am old enough to lived out on my own but I can't because of me being mentally challenged I can't live own my own but Daddy is firm about No agility equipment in the back yard I understand where he is coming from because of my great-nephew loves to fix things but he will still stand firm even if we didn't have this issue with my Great-Nephew taking things apart he would say no any how and that makes me mad and to complicate matters there is not a indoor facility that is set up to where I can take Betsy to where I can work with her on the agility equipment in my area.:x :x :x :x :x :x :x
Fundog

Re: Agility

Post by Fundog »

There is "portable" agility equipment that is easily dismantled, (and able to load into a vehicle to take to a park) and re-assembled over and over. Even the make shift kind that we came up with on the exercise thread is not meant to be permanent, but rather taken down and put away after each play session. So look into that, and see if Daddy will consent to that, if you promise to take it down and put away after you and Betsy are finished for the day. (And this kind might even be fine for your great-nephew to practice taking apart and putting back together-- he might even be happy to set it up and take it down for you every time, so you don't have to!) :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

is the issue is solely your nephew? if so, how old is your nephew? if he is really young, then maybe you can re discuss this once your nephew is older?

if it's not just your nephew, are there any safety issues of people tripping over the equipment when not in use?

do give your dad the benefit of the doubt, he might just be being over protective about keeping everyone safe.
Christie

Post by Christie »

I'm not sure if it's because of my Great-Nephew to answer your question he is 9 years old but even if he wasn't the case my father will say no he doesn't want any agility in my back yard it doesn't matter if it is portable or not once he saids no that's it but thanks any how.
I am not going to say anything to ruin my mother's day since it is her birthday I am thinking of how to get around this but I will know it will cause another riff between him & me. but I won't start it today. I will think of something but thank's any how. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

So the real issue is your father doesn't want anything in the back yard that would, in his opinion, "clutter" it up-- he is afraid the yard would look ugly with agility equipment in it. Have I got it right? If this is the case, then you will not be able to "get around it" no matter what. Some people are just anally retentive that way, and there is nothing you can do to change them.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Christie

Post by Christie »

Fundog wrote:So the real issue is your father doesn't want anything in the back yard that would, in his opinion, "clutter" it up-- he is afraid the yard would look ugly with agility equipment in it. Have I got it right? If this is the case, then you will not be able to "get around it" no matter what. Some people are just anally retentive that way, and there is nothing you can do to change them.
You got that right we are having that issue because you know how little boys at that age can drag stuff home and my cousin has to clean it up after my 2 great-nieces and my great-nephew leaves. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
macmomo8

Post by macmomo8 »

i know where your coming from! I am in 4h and i am showing my dog in agility, rally, obedience, and showmansip. I have wanted agility equipment for ssooooooo long. we are ready to move where there is more land, and i am wonering in y'all know where i can get really cheap but good quality equipment or if there are any websites that have a "how to" on making your own jumps, tables, all that good stuff!!! :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: Any help appreciated!

Also, i was wondering if you guys knew how to handle an insesent barking collie?

Showmanship/conformation leads and/or clothes?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

If your father has said "No" you/we have to respect that. Therefore have a read of our "Exercise the Mind" thread for fun things to do with your dog that don't involve "stuff" in your Dad's yard. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
macmomo8

Post by macmomo8 »

Does anyone know where I can get AKC conformation clothes/ showmanship clothes!? Need em really soon. Also tips for from to rear crosses?

Weave guides? Where?