Playing is going to far

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

loza123

Playing is going to far

Post by loza123 »

So i no that my dad does play rough with bob but that never really bothered me. I took bob on his last walk of the day so so he could go to the toilet. As we were coming back there was a group of girls about 5 of them around 16 and Bob went up to smell them and growled a little which is not normal for him. So we got back in the house and scott my brother was in . We have this thing were we say ' Big hugs' and me and scott hugged each other and bob jumped up which he normally does.
Yet tonight he was making a high pitch noise and scott thought he was hurting i told him is because hes excited , but bob took it further nipping and when he jumped up he would scratch. At one point bob grabbed hold of my sleeve and was pulling on it like when he plays tug of war. There was a limit and though he was only playing , when i had had enough i said ' Ah Ah' folded my arms and turned my back to him. Though am concerned about it if he was to do that with scotts gf holly who is lighter then me and plus i was wearing a riding jacket at the time. I told scott that we have to nip it in the bud as his a big strong dog and that we cant tell him off when we have probalby taught him in, but in a way am worried how can we stop him doing is. Will it be by just not playing rough games with him? Cause even though bob is only playing its a little worrying that he feels arms are play toys when there not there peoples arm.:(
emmabeth

Re: Playing is going to far

Post by emmabeth »

Teach him that hugs time for people is 'sit for a treat' time for him... dogs can find our human, face to face, body contact hugging RAELLY weird, for dogs thats usually a precursor to a big fight! So if your dog is already a little wound up it makes sense that this could make him react badly - either by jumping around playing the fool trying to diffuse the situation or by getting grumpy about it.

So if you pair hugs with treats for him and keep the hugs low key and breif, he should learn pretty quick that its ok. If he does jump around and nip, stop, turn away, ignore him for a second, then go back and ask him to sit or something, hug and reward again.

Dont do it too much too soon though you dont want to freak him out!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant