walking on a leash

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

buddy509

walking on a leash

Post by buddy509 »

My 3 month old goldendoodle is not doing wll walking on a leash. He will just lay down in the grass and will not move. Any suggestions? Thanks
Wicket

Re: walking on a leash

Post by Wicket »

Out of curiosity, what have you been doing to try to fix this problem?
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Can you describe what usually happens and what leads to that - you grab the leash, call over for walkies, you walk out the door, etc.

How is your dog in general? Does he eat okay, does he respond to training, does he play? Are you walking on pavement? Maybe it's too hot.... think of all the variables that may be causing it, and if you describe what happens maybe we can help you figure it out as well.
buddy509

Post by buddy509 »

We walk out the door, down the driveway to the sidewalk. he is doing well at this point. I walk early in the morning, so the sidewalk heat is not an issue. We walk well for about 200 feet and then he starts to get distracted by sticks, leaves, etc. and will just stop walking and lay down in the grass. I have tried to ignore him by turning by back to him, I think he would be happy just to lay there. I have used the excited voice of "lets go" and have also offered treats and give them when he gets up and walks. Then this starts all over again. He also wants to carry his leash in his mouth. Othr than this, he is a happy, healthy puppy. Thanks
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

The "experts" on the board have often suggested 5 minutes exercise for each month of the pup's life (a little more for dogs with high energy requirements like border collies), so you should be taking 15 minute walks at this point. You may be going for too long. Does he stop walking at about the same distance every morning? If so, try walking until just short of that, then turn around and go home. Can you increase the number of walks you go on and decrease the duration? If he prefers to carry the leash in his mouth then try buying a chain leash for now, as that isn't as fun to hold in your mouth, until the habit fades.

I hope others can chime in here in case someone has more/better ideas.
troop

Post by troop »

Hi just a few thoughts and things ive done ... sort of thinking outloud so bare with me.... are you feeding the treats at the point he is walking not walking toward you and then stop to eat treat? Does your pup like toys can you get him to follow without a lead try putting something tasty/smells good on the end of a rope toy perhaps so his nose is at the height of the treat.When pup is in the right place say heel or whatever word you want to use and give the treat/toy after a few correct steps. Do this indoors first without a lead then with and go from there.Take baby steps.. Are you certain there are no health issues? also try making the walking interesting keep changing direction so your pup has to look to you to know where "mum/dad" is going....... :D
Zeldacorgi

Post by Zeldacorgi »

buddy509 wrote:We walk out the door, down the driveway to the sidewalk. he is doing well at this point. I walk early in the morning, so the sidewalk heat is not an issue. We walk well for about 200 feet and then he starts to get distracted by sticks, leaves, etc. and will just stop walking and lay down in the grass. I have tried to ignore him by turning by back to him, I think he would be happy just to lay there. I have used the excited voice of "lets go" and have also offered treats and give them when he gets up and walks. Then this starts all over again. He also wants to carry his leash in his mouth. Othr than this, he is a happy, healthy puppy. Thanks
I have a 4 month old puppy who does the exact same thing. My interpretation of the laying down has been that she doesn't want to continue walk in a certain direction. This is either because she doesn't want to be in the hot sun (she'll lay in the shade) or she doesn't want to go back inside (she'll lay down in our entry way). If it's the hot sun, I'll hang with her in the shade for a couple minutes then try again. That usually works for me. On the way back inside, I'll turn away from her and kneel down on the ground and make funny noises or pat the ground with my hand. When she comes, I give her lots of praise and treats. If she doesn't, I just pick her up and take her to our stairs which she'll walk right up.

A good way to regain his focus if he's running after leaves is to stop, pat your leg or make a funny noise. When he comes back to your side and focuses on you, praise, treat, and continue on. It takes a lot of stopping and starting, but it will click eventually.

She also wants to carry the leash in her mouth, which I don't find too harmful as long as she's still loose leashing it. It's when she's tugging the leash to go in a directions that I correct. Pulling makes me stop. When she's loose leash, we continue on. If the leash in his mouth is bothersome to you, try switching to a chain leash or bitter spraying the leash.

Anytime you are walking him and he enters your loose leash space, make sure to treat and praise. The more you do this while he's a puppy, the more he'll get the idea that walking by you is the best thing ever!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

He'll grow out of this by and by. Just keep taking him to the spot he feels happy in and let him smell the flowers. He's only a babe, and confidence comes to each one differently. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS