Dogs behaviour on our bed hindering our relationship..

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

N2703

Dogs behaviour on our bed hindering our relationship..

Post by N2703 »

Hello Victoria,
I am from Slovakia and we have great difficulty with my husband with our dog. It is a female, a cross between mid-size and sleeps in bed with us. But is not this the worst, but let us have sex. Even the kiss, touch and even during the day when they are converging. When we start the night she will love the awful bark, growl and prints are among us. It has four years and already know what to do with it. When to close the bathroom door or a room terribly barks and scratching them. They break the door. What do we do? Please consult us. We are desperate, so never have children or not.
emmabeth

Re: Dogs behaviour on our bed hindering our relationship..

Post by emmabeth »

Hiya,

I hope you dont mind but I have edited the title of your thread because the translation there was not quite right and it meant something rather different to what you intended!

You need to start in another room, leave the bedroom for now.

In your living room, try a cuddle or a touch or a kiss, and before your dog starts to react badly, throw her some little tasty treats. Keep doing this but only for a few minutes at a time and each time you do, treats for her.

So, cuddle/touch/kiss for you - treats for the dog.

The idea is that she begins to associate you and your husband touching with rewards for her, as she finds it worrying or even frightening when you do this. For dogs, close physical contact is usually not a good thing. When two dogs get close and face to face it usually means there is going to be a fight! So she may well be unnerved by your behaviour.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Let me add one more thing to what Emmabeth said. When you do as Emmabeth said and your dog attacks the both of you, stand up, turn your backs (you and your husband can face one another) to your dog. When he/she is calm, sit back down, kiss, cuddle, and if she attacks again, get up and turn your backs toward him/her. Keep doing this until your dog is calm and allows you and your husband can freely kiss, cuddle without your dog attacking you or your husband. Don't forget to reward your dog when he/she is calm and allows the both of you to kiss and cuddle! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
N2703

Post by N2703 »

Thank you attempt to do so. Yet I want to ask whether that would help the bedroom door gate. We want to give her pillow into the hall and door barrier. Do you think it may help? How to behave when you benefit from the bedroom? I think it will bear better than when you close the door?
jjphoenix

Post by jjphoenix »

just to add, could yoy crate train her, so that she sleeps in her crate next to your bed rather than in it?
money can buy a dog but only love will wags its tail - DEED NOT BREED
N2703

Post by N2703 »

She sleep in our bed with us and we can not have intimate life when I want to have sex she start snapping and going between us. She very snarl and bluster. She does not tolerate even the day to give me a kiss or touch. What do we do?
N2703

Post by N2703 »

Ask me. I want to buy the barrier-to-door room and I do not know what she do when she left the hall for the barrier. I want that she slept in the hall and not in our bed with us. What should we do? Buy a barrier to the door and she sleep in the hall or not? This will help? Thank you
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I would try her sleeping either in an indoor dog crate, or on the other side of a babygate/door barrier - be prepared for her to cry though, try letting her get used to it in small amounts first, try just five minutes at a time on the other side of a baby gate, during the day first.

If you go for putting her either in a crate all night, or on the other side of a baby gate she MIGHT bark/whine all night, so if you do attempt this do not be surprised if you dont have total success the first night.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
jjphoenix

Post by jjphoenix »

jjphoenix wrote:just to add, could yoy crate train her, so that she sleeps in her crate next to your bed rather than in it?
if she is in a crate she can still be sleeping in your room next to your bed, but without being in your bed. it will also give her a 'safe place' to go if she wants.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... 80&bih=610

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... 80&bih=610

you can buy them on ebay, and they go up to massive sizes, great dane sizes.
money can buy a dog but only love will wags its tail - DEED NOT BREED