Red Light

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Kalo

Red Light

Post by Kalo »

Hi All,

Just looking for advise. Since Cuddles loves playing with bugs, lizards, etc. and being that it is too hot outside to let her out all the time, I was wondering what you all think about those "red light flash light" toys that when the dog sees the light they run to try to chase it.

Is it good for me to flash it and let Cuddles try to catch it or does this create some kind of obesseve behavior. If not, I was thinking of buying one at Petsmart. Just want to see if it's okay to buy one...

Thanks Kalo
Noobs

Re: Red Light

Post by Noobs »

It does create obsessive behavior so definitely don't do it. Your dog might end up focusing on lights reflecting on walls and shiny objects, etc. Do mind games and puzzle toys and clicker training instead.
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

[
Noobs wrote:It does create obsessive behavior so definitely don't do it. Your dog might end up focusing on lights reflecting on walls and shiny objects, etc. Do mind games and puzzle toys and clicker training instead.
Thanks Noob!! I won't buy it as Cuddles is already obessed bugs, and lizards..I don't want to create OCD with the lazer light. I would love to get her chaseit or as some call it fox on a stick, but no one here in AZ carries them and I guess when I find a job i can always order one then. Ugh, some on the forum told me how to make one, but....Well, I am just more comfortable with buying one...

Thanks again for the warning...

Kalo
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Oh yeah, laser lights are about the best way I know of creating an OCD in most dogs....!! I wish they didnt sell these for dogs but some places still do.

Make that fox-on-a-stick - you SO can do this its really easy! Plus once you did it, you will really get a kick out of your achievement!

You need a broomhandle, cut down to a comfy length for you and Cuddles, drill a hole through one end, tie a string on, tie the string to the empty soft toy/Skinneez toy. Job done. the only hard part there is drilling the hole through!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

emmabeth wrote:Oh yeah, laser lights are about the best way I know of creating an OCD in most dogs....!! I wish they didnt sell these for dogs but some places still do.

Make that fox-on-a-stick - you SO can do this its really easy! Plus once you did it, you will really get a kick out of your achievement!

You need a broomhandle, cut down to a comfy length for you and Cuddles, drill a hole through one end, tie a string on, tie the string to the empty soft toy/Skinneez toy. Job done. the only hard part there is drilling the hole through!
Thanks Emmabeth!!!

I actually went to a dog training supply store today and they had in stock the CHASEIT/Fox on a stick and because I am not working I couldn't see spending $24.00 on it. Plus, if Cuddles didn't like it the dog training place told me that they would not accept returns.

If I was working I would chance it with no problem....I've got this cool stick that I was looking at tonight that I think will work...Drilling the hole..I am thinking maybe my Dad can help with that...

Thanks again and you're right I don't want my Cuddles getting OCD from that red light....I know she would become obessed because she likes chasing bugs, etc...

Kalo
heninla

Post by heninla »

For those who, like me, want to try fox on a stick but aren't interested in making one, here's where you get the Chase It ones that another poster mentioned: http://www.chaseitpettoys.com/products.htm.

Of course, if you do it and then the dog isn't interested, you've wasted like $30-35...
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

heninla wrote:For those who, like me, want to try fox on a stick but aren't interested in making one, here's where you get the Chase It ones that another poster mentioned: http://www.chaseitpettoys.com/products.htm.

Of course, if you do it and then the dog isn't interested, you've wasted like $30-35...
UGH, you can't return it??? Well at this dog training place in AZ they have something similar to chaseit and it is NON REFUNDABLE as well. To bad Petsmart doesn't carry it because they would have no problem with returns...

Maybe in the future they will carry it and for a better price as well. In the meantime I might just get the courage in trying to make one...

Kalo
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

I used a horse lunge whip to make mine, but emmabeth's would probably be cheaper, I just like the flexibility of the whip, the plush toy moves like a live one. The dachshunds love it, so does the GSD.
GllntKnight

Post by GllntKnight »

The prices they are asking for dog stuff kongs etc is getting way out of hand, I only paid a few dollars originally for a couple Kongs of course I was working then now I'm on a fixed income and disabled and it is time to replace the Kongs and they want $15. + I don't think so my dogs can do without toys of any kind at those prices. They got plenty of natural prey to go after even in the house live mice are better and don't cost anything.
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. ~Author Unknown

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. ~Gilda Radner