Resource Guarding Help Please

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Milo&Oliver

Resource Guarding Help Please

Post by Milo&Oliver »

I have a 2 year old male dachshund, Cooper. He's never shown any tendency toward guarding his bones, food, etc until a couple of months ago. We spent the weekend with friends of ours that have a 6-ish month old male westie puppy. The westie took Cooper's bone away from him and basically the owners said oh you are such a bully and that was it. At this point we gave Cooper another bone so they'd each have one. The westie took this one away as well, so we removed both bones from the situation trying to stop any problems before they start. The same behavior continued with the westie with any toys that Cooper would play with. At this point, I had no idea what to do. It wasn't my dog and they weren't interested in doing anything about it. The westie is also very food agressive and snapped at Cooper when he wandered nearby.

The westie has had very little training. They would rather repeat commands 8 times with no result and spank the dog than train it. I suggested clicker training since it was amazing for us but was just looked at like how dare I suggest such an awful thing. But anyway....

So throughout the weekend, Cooper started to display some guarding behavior after everything he touched was taken away from him. We didn't really know what to do since we've never encountered it before. So we removed the objects that were causing the issue to keep it from progressing to a fight between the dogs. Since then Cooper will display his protectiveness with a look at the other dog, hovering over his bone/toy, and usually picking it up and walking away with it. We also have 2 cats that he doesn't like to get near his bones. He will sometimes give a tiny growl but no snapping. I have no idea what to do to stop this and keep it from getting worse.

I am thinking we shouldn't take away what he is guarding so we don't show him he has a reason to protect it. So I've basically been trying to ignore it so he'll know things won't get taken away from him. I just really don't want the behavior to turn into aggression. His favorite thing to do it to chew on bones so I would hate to not allow him to have any.

I'm just lost and want to do the right thing. Thanks!!!!
Noobs

Re: Resource Guarding Help Please

Post by Noobs »

My first instinct on reading that is - it's a good thing Cooper is showing signs (hairy eyeball look, taking the bone somewhere else) rather than getting violent right away. When you see this behavior, don't take away what he's got; if you do you just confirmed for him that he needs to guard his bone. Instead manage it so that the other dog can't take what he's got.

Is there anywhere Cooper can be away from the Westie to play with his bone in peace? If not, then you may have to just remove all objects to begin with since your friends aren't interested in managing their Westie.

You said that was a couple of months ago. Is Cooper still displaying that behavior now at your own home?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Are you still there?

There shouldn't be any toys or bones around, that can lead to problems, if there are none around the dogs can't take them or protect them. I take everything up when I get a new dog and only allow them to have one at a time and not pinching off other dogs. As you are not in your own home it can be very difficult.

Unless they train their dogs they are going to have problems, Westies are terriers and are independent dogs.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Mattie wrote: Unless they train their dogs they are going to have problems, Westies are terriers and are independent dogs.
I was thinking that too, Mattie. If they're not interested in training that Westie they're going to have a huge handful of problems.
Milo&Oliver

Post by Milo&Oliver »

Yes, it was a while ago and he hasn't been around the westie since. He is still displaying the behavior however. He's the only dog we have but he will hover over things if the cats come too close. It's not all the time though, it's almost just like whenever he feels like it. He has no issues with food aggression. He's never snapped, just mainly communicated to back off with his body language.

He loves for us to throw his toys and bones for him to chase after and has no issues if either of us picks up something he has to throw. He knows the drop it command and will drop anything I ask him to. I will make sure not to bring any bones out when there's another dog but what do I do if they are already out and then another dog comes? I don't want him to think they are getting taken away or associate things being taken away with another dog being present. Do I try to put myself between Cooper and the other dog so he will know I won't let him have things taken away?

I'm just so frustrated I didn't do more when this happened. We were on a weekend trip with the other couple a few hours from home so we couldn't just leave. I'm just so sad he has this issue now when he never did before just because someone can't be bothered to train their dog. They said they don't like or agree with clicker training yet they hit their dog and put him in an alpha roll. I just can't understand it :(
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Definitely dont punish him (which taking things away would be) if he politely (and so far his behaviour is extremely polite!) tells others to keep away from his stuff.

If you know other dogs are coming over, put things away when hes out of sight. If another dog comes over unexpectedly to your house, take the dogs away from the toys/bones, then tidy them up, then bring the dogs back. Always always remove dog from item, rather than item from dog in a situation like this.

Should you have the misfortune to stay with the people who wont train their westie, take a soft crate and put your dog in it so he can enjoy his stuff un-molested by the other dog, I have a dog who will attempt to take everything off the others and it is bullying and I dont permit it to continue, as long term it will teach a dog to over react and get really really narky about his stuff.

I dont think your dog has gone that way, hes just learned a bit about life, that some dogs are mean and take your stuff and so he has to be a bit wiser about these things. Theres no reason he will get overprotective about things unless such situations continue.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
shybird

Post by shybird »

I do not feel a dog protecting his food or toy from another animal is resource guarding. Usually an older dog will teach a younger dog to back off from "my stuff" with little problem IF the humans keep out of it. When humans interfere, they disrupt normal animal communication. If it happens with humans, you do have a problem and you will have to use correct training methods to correct the behavior or you will make it worse.
Myia
Don't buy,while shelter pets die.
Ban irresponsibility,not breeds.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

shybird wrote:I do not feel a dog protecting his food or toy from another animal is resource guarding. Usually an older dog will teach a younger dog to back off from "my stuff" with little problem
This is a case of know your dog, yes you can leave some adult dogs to teach a pup but not all, I know dogs that will really attack and do a lot of damage if another dog goes near them when they are eating. Thankfully none of mine are like that but several came that way but have been turned round. As we can't see what is happening nor know the owners, it is safer for the owners and dogs if they don't get the chance to interfer with a dog eating. Safety for everyone has to come first.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
shybird

Post by shybird »

Mattie wrote:
shybird wrote:I do not feel a dog protecting his food or toy from another animal is resource guarding. Usually an older dog will teach a younger dog to back off from "my stuff" with little problem
This is a case of know your dog, yes you can leave some adult dogs to teach a pup but not all, I know dogs that will really attack and do a lot of damage if another dog goes near them when they are eating. Thankfully none of mine are like that but several came that way but have been turned round. As we can't see what is happening nor know the owners, it is safer for the owners and dogs if they don't get the chance to interfer with a dog eating. Safety for everyone has to come first.
I do agree with you about safety first. I do believe what I said is accurate, although not the best advice for a novice owner, more for someone with more knowledge of their own dog. With unknown dogs, I would not allow nature to take charge, because of not knowing whether or not humans have messed up the normal dog communication skills.
Myia
Don't buy,while shelter pets die.
Ban irresponsibility,not breeds.