Loose leash training by disabled owner

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

footsieb

Loose leash training by disabled owner

Post by footsieb »

Penny is a 6 year old Lab who I got from a lab rescue 3 years ago. Her training was perfect in every way except pulling when on leash. At that time, I had some difficulties walking, so took her to a training class where we were taught using a treat held out in front of her (sort of like a carrot on a stick method). It wasn't overly successful and, before I could try something else, I had surgery that kept me from walking her at all for several months. My husband walked her when needed, but, as he is much more able, he had really no problems. This was the status quo for over a year due to both of us having surgeries, etc.

During this time, most of her exercise was in our 1/2 acre lot with balls and other such toys. Last year, I discovered the Gentle Leader Easy Walk Harness and bought one. Our pet sitter (we have two cats and a Pug puppy, too) says she is able to control Penny much better with it, but Penny still pulls and, due to my disability, will most likely pull me over within a few feet.

I have watched Victoria train dogs for not pulling by changing direction immediately when they pull. I feel that technique would work with Penny, but I can't move that rapidly and frequently need a walker when outside. Any suggestions how I might be able to use that or a similar technique on my sweetheart? :) I would love to be able to walk her. Particularly into the petstore where her "big sister" (our daughter) works and she gets spoiled rotten with treats. :D
Buddy'smyboy

Re: Loose leash training by disabled owner

Post by Buddy'smyboy »

footsieb wrote:Penny is a 6 year old Lab who I got from a lab rescue 3 years ago. Her training was perfect in every way except pulling when on leash. At that time, I had some difficulties walking, so took her to a training class where we were taught using a treat held out in front of her (sort of like a carrot on a stick method). It wasn't overly successful and, before I could try something else, I had surgery that kept me from walking her at all for several months. My husband walked her when needed, but, as he is much more able, he had really no problems. This was the status quo for over a year due to both of us having surgeries, etc.

During this time, most of her exercise was in our 1/2 acre lot with balls and other such toys. Last year, I discovered the Gentle Leader Easy Walk Harness and bought one. Our pet sitter (we have two cats and a Pug puppy, too) says she is able to control Penny much better with it, but Penny still pulls and, due to my disability, will most likely pull me over within a few feet.

I have watched Victoria train dogs for not pulling by changing direction immediately when they pull. I feel that technique would work with Penny, but I can't move that rapidly and frequently need a walker when outside. Any suggestions how I might be able to use that or a similar technique on my sweetheart? :) I would love to be able to walk her. Particularly into the petstore where her "big sister" (our daughter) works and she gets spoiled rotten with treats. :D
I can get where you're coming from with the walker. It would be like my grandma while on oxygen and with a walker trying to walk our dog before we trained him not to pull . Buddy's a six year lab also, and he's above average size and strong, similar maybe to your Penny so I can relate to that.
Well, I trained Buddy mainly with the U-turn method, but since you aren't able to do that, maybe you could just stop instead? For example, you take Penny on a walk with your walker. You take a step and she pulls, trying to get moving. You stop, using the walker to steady yourself (if you have breaks on yours like my grandma that might help more). The harness could help also maybe. Don't move forward until she has relaxed and is focusing on you. Then move forward again. If she pulls, stop again. Just keep repeating that until she learns to watch you and stay beside you. I did something similar with Buddy. I don't think it worked as well as the U-turn method, but it did make him stop pulling (although he still did walk in front of me). It might take longer too. If that doesn't work because of your particular disability then I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. :(
UNLESS, you could get someone else to do the U-turn method with her well enough that she doesn't pull with you or other people either. Maybe have them associate walking beside a person with treats and affection? Also, maybe she could be taught a "watch me" command? I'm just throwing around ideas. I'm sure other people migh have better advice too.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Footsieb, why don't you put the Gentle Leader or get one for your lab?

I was on a walker a little over two years ago, too, and had to walk my then-boyfriend's dog. Believe me, it was no easy feat but I did it anyway. I didn't have a Gentle Leader but I did have a head collar and used that because the dog pulled me too! When I was walking the dog with the head collar, and the dog pulled, I just made a u-turn and the dog would follow because the leash and head collar would pull the dog towards my way. Then, after I made the u-turn, the dog followed, and I moved the other way. Maybe the last sentence is redundant but you get the picture.

Oh, by the way, my then-boyfriend's dog was a St. Benard/New Foundland mix and that was a challenge! I hope my advice works for you, Footsieb!
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

footsieb, there are several disabled people on here, I am myself and have to teach the loose lease walking on my good days and even then I can't turn quickly, I found holding a treat in front of their nose didn't work either. :lol:

Only teach this when you don't have a walker, you can teach him to follow on the command "This way", by turning with the walker, reward him when he comes with you, I find dogs pick this up really quickly and it will help when you are teaching without the walker you can still give this command when you turn.

On the days you can do a little work without the walker, watch him, as soon as his head goes in front of you, using the "This way" command, turn and walk the other way. You don't have to turn quickly or shapely, make the turn as big or small as you can do. It may take a little longer for your dog to walk on a loose lead but he will because you are unpredictable. When we are unpredictable our dogs have to watch us to see what we are doing. :lol:

Just do what you can depending on whether you are having a good day or a bad one. If you start off doing this training but can't do it, change to something else like working on his sit, down etc. We all have to teach within what we are capable of doing.

Good luck and stay with us, we may be able to offer suggestions to help.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
footsieb

Post by footsieb »

wvvdiup1 wrote:Footsieb, why don't you put the Gentle Leader or get one for your lab?

I was on a walker a little over two years ago, too, and had to walk my then-boyfriend's dog. Believe me, it was no easy feat but I did it anyway. I didn't have a Gentle Leader but I did have a head collar and used that because the dog pulled me too! When I was walking the dog with the head collar, and the dog pulled, I just made a u-turn and the dog would follow because the leash and head collar would pull the dog towards my way. Then, after I made the u-turn, the dog followed, and I moved the other way. Maybe the last sentence is redundant but you get the picture.

Oh, by the way, my then-boyfriend's dog was a St. Benard/New Foundland mix and that was a challenge! I hope my advice works for you, Footsieb!
I tried the Gentle Leader head collar and she almost went insane. When I called the foster who took care of her before we got her, she said that, the concensus of opinion is that something had happened in her past that was totally terrifying. I gave it to a rescue after that.

I think I will get DH to take us down to the high school and practice with her in the parking lot. We live in a very rural area with very little pavement - quite rocky. I might have to concentrate too hard on handling the walker if I do it at home. :lol:
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

There is also a Gentle Leader harness as well as headcollar, I haven't used one but others have. Teaching a dog to walk on a loose lead by turning when they have a headcollar on can be dangerous for the dog, it is much better to have a harness on.

I am sure you can do this, getting your OH to take you were it is flat is a good idea, once your dog knows what to do you will find that just stopping will loosen the lead but your dog has to be taught first.

Good luck. :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
footsieb

Post by footsieb »

I suddenly thought that I'd teach myself first. DH has a 6 month old pug who he spoils rotten. Sammi pulls incredibly hard for such a small dog. So, I tried the stopping as soon as she pulled method. With just two short sessions, she had stopped pulling. She's a curious puppy, so doesn't always walk in a straight line, but it's not hard to straighten her out. Now, to just get over to the school tennis courts with my lab. I know she can do it!! :D
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I would do several things here to really proof walking beside you/beside your walker.

As well as what is alraedy mentioned and the use of an EasyWalk harness, I would add a lead with an elasticated section (have a saddler make you one! )to take the jerk out of any sudden pull.

At home, using a target stick and a clicker, work with her walking beside you OFF the leash. If shes good at targetting you could have her target the side of teh walker or the side of your leg with her nose, and you can do this in tiny little stages, and also have other people do it with her too. The early stages of proofing the behaviour out on the streets you can do with someone else holding the leash and you rewarding her for targetting you, off leash in a secure area, and of course just walking beside someone else working her too.

A real belt and braces approach teaching her both that pulling will NOT work, AND that walking beside you is super rewarding should give you the results you need.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant