Sneaky Poodle

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Linda

Sneaky Poodle

Post by Linda »

Hi,

I have a 7 year old male desexed toy poodle named Pierre. He's generally a good boy. He's gentle and loving and playful. But still loves to get up to mischeif.

One problem i've had with him, is his barking. The obedience school trainer said it was natural and there was nothing i can do. The problem barking is:

1. Barks at noises outside. He hears a car door, he barks at it. He hears neighbours talking, he barks at them. The trainer said it was natural and as long as he's barking at something there's no problem. But this is no comfort and 2am nor on a sunday afternoon when the neighbours are having a BBQ in their backyard. I've tried the firm, "no" when he does it, it doens't last long.

2. He can't walk outside without running out and barking to announce to the neighbourhood he is outside. I've tried making him sit calmly and then making him walk out calmly. And the sneak is good right to the point he knows he can make a dash for it out of my reach, and runs around the yard barking.

It's a problem, cause i can't leave the doggy door open for fear he'll run out and bark and if he hears noises, he will bark at them too. I'm even considering getting him one of those audio "stop bark" collars.

If anyone has any ideas, that would be great.

Thanks
Linda
Sam-chan

Post by Sam-chan »

Try applying a 'quiet' command, it came up a few times in Victoria's show. Wait for your dog to stop barking, say 'quiet' and praise, eventually he will associate this word with being quiet and being quiet with something good. It takes a long time, but I think it's well worth the trouble.
leigh

Post by leigh »

I'm in the process of doing this myself, Linda - I have 2 small "yappy" dogs that love to bark at anything that moves, and even the wind if they think it might be coming near us! lol.

I am teaching my little one "speak" - making her bark and using a hand signal (Victoria did this in season 1) and when she barks, give her a treat for barking. Victoria did it by holding treats, and the dog barked, wanting a treat. and as he barked, she used her hand signal and said "SPEAK, SPEAK". My dogs don't bark when I have treats though - my little one just got so excited that I was looking at her, doing a hand signal and saying excitedly "Speak" that she drops to the ground, whines, then barks at me.

It sounds insane, doesn't it? Making your dog bark which is what you don't want! But to make your dog stop barking, it helps to train him to bark, and stop on command. Next step (which is where we are now) is making her speak, and then use "Quiet" with another signal, and give a treat immediately for stopping.

This method works with my little one, coz she is a bit more clever than my 4 year old... My 4 year old will look at me like I'm stupid when I'm saying "speak" and he refuses to bark! Aside from me getting on my hands and knees and starting to howl, I can't get him to bark!

so with him, I just have a bowl of treats by the back door, and EVERY SINGLE TIME that he barks, either my partner or I are at the back door in a flash, and call him (we have to use a high pitched "Teddy" and a whistle, because if we just yell "TED COME HERE" and sound angry, he annoys us) - and as soon as he comes, we use the quiet command, and the signal, and give a treat.

I don't know if this is working and he's understanding it - but his barking really doesn't last as long now, and if we're outside with him when someone walks past he'll give a little growl or his hackles go up, and as soon as we say "Quiet" he stops.

There are times that he ignores us - if it's a bike he still gets very excited, so we're patiently still trying!
Josie

Post by Josie »

Quiet commands don't always translate to when the dog is barking for a reason though.

There are several things that can reduce it.

1. Is your dog getting enough exercise and mental stimulation? Bored dogs will make their own fun! Poodles are really intelligent and benefit from training. Have you tried clicker training? It's a great way of using up a clever dogs excess mental energy.

2. If you hear the noise first, give a treat before your dog starts barking. This is where clicker training is so great because it means you can get your timing right. If you practice enough, your dog will hear noises outside and view it as a cue to come to you for a reward.

3. Territorial barking is usually due to a dog wanting to keep a threat away. If you think of fight/flight, barking is the 'fight' option so you can teach your dog to choose flight instead. Have a pot of tasty treats at the back of the house, put a house line on your dog (a really lightweight lead that you can leave attached to the dogs collar) and when your dog starts barking, say nothing and lead the dog by the collar away from the threat and towards the treats. If you're consistent, the dog will hear the noise and rather than chase the threat off, will find the option of moving away from it more rewarding.
leigh

Post by leigh »

thanks Josie, I'm gonna try a couple of them! (Just got my clicker, and learning how to use it!)