Over Reactive Dog Behavior

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JaxMom

Over Reactive Dog Behavior

Post by JaxMom »

Hi!

Thank you so much for all your help with Jax's last problem! This one is more serious I'm afraid. :( I got Jax when he was 5 1/2 months old, past his prime socialization time. Since he was a rescue dog, I don't know anything about his history.

We live in a neighborhood with a ton of dogs and I want to get him to the point where he is able to happily play with other dogs. On the leash, when he sees another dog he lunges and barks and if I walk him past he begins to bite the leash (I think out of frustration). A few times, we have seen someone we know with a dog, so they come over to say hi. I say that he isn't good with other dogs and try to keep my distance, but they walk to us anyway. Unfortunately, the last two times people have done that, he has started to lunge and nip at the other dog. I don't think he is biting hard, but it still worries me. I always try to body block and get him behind me, but today he lunged past me and nipped the other owner. There was no mark, or blood, but she said his tooth hit her leg. We were at the end of a long walk and I know he was tired. Now ,I won't let other dogs near him while on leash so neither dog freaks out.

Off leash, he has played with dogs a three times. He doesn't really like others to smell his rear, and doesn't try to smell theirs. He charges them and nips about a foot away their face, but never makes contact. He usually play bows before he charges.

I have contacted a dog trainer, but the closest trainer is 4 hours away and difficult to schedule with. Any ideas/suggestions/ anything would be so so helpful! Thank you!
JaxMom

Re: Over Reactive Dog Behavior

Post by JaxMom »

I probably should add that when he nipped the dog owner, she was coming over trying to calm him down by petting him. . . in the midst of his barking and lunging.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

People, including other dog owners, are sometimes tougher to train than dogs. :evil:

If you can, do a search on the forum for "reactive dog" and you'll find tons of posts about it.
I probably should add that when he nipped the dog owner, she was coming over trying to calm him down by petting him. . . in the midst of his barking and lunging.
That would be her own fault, she should have known better. Ugh that makes me angry!
I say that he isn't good with other dogs and try to keep my distance, but they walk to us anyway.
Tell people "He has a skin condition and it's contagious."

Meanwhile, have a look at the search function and check the other threads about reactive dogs. If you feel inclined, pick up "Scaredy Dog!" by Ali Brown and/or "Feisty Fido" and "The Cautious Canine" by Patricia McConnell. Keep your dog away from other dogs for now. Don't make your own socialization (eg stopping to talk to friends) a priority when you're with your dog. He is way too stressed and fearful for this right now.

If I get a chance I'll add links for threads for you to read.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I have a dog that is uncomfortable around other dogs too. She is content to just watch the other dogs play, but cannot handle having them get too close to her. She also cannot handle a greeting, and absolutely will not tolerate being sniffed. When I take my two dogs with me to a dog social situation, I just keep Dottie at my side while I let Annie go off to play. If any dogs come over to meet Dottie, I immediately step between them and body block so that 1) the other dog does not get hurt and 2) so Dottie sees that she can trust me to shield her from any situation that makes her uncomfortable. Another odd thing Dottie does is, she seems to get excited, pouncing playfully and play bowing when she sees dogs. But when it comes down to the actual greeting, she gets nervous and changes her mind. I use the analogy of a first date: You're so excited to be going out with this really cute boy you've had your eye on, but then at the end of the night, when he leans in for a kiss, you suddenly get "cold feet" and can't handle it, so without thinking you start squirming and trying to get away, maybe even pushing the boy away.

It may comfort you to know that I've had Dottie for a year and a half now, and she still cannot play with other dogs. But that's okay! She isn't missing anything, she doesn't feel lonely, thinking "poor little me; I don't have any doggy friends." You do need to be resolute in protecting Jax, however. If your neighbors ignore your request for distance, your are going to have to start being rude and immediately turn in the opposite direction when you see them approaching, so that Jax can relax, seeing that you will not force him to endure an uncomfortable situation that he can't handle. If you do this, you will see Jax's stress levels and tension begin to dissolve and you will both be much happier and more relaxed. :)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
JaxMom

Post by JaxMom »

This might be a bit of a dumb question, but how do I know if it is fear, or excitement or. . .anything else? He just seems like he wants to play so badly! I'll read up on the other posts. Thanks for all your advice so far!
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

It is quite possible, and even likely, for it to be a combination of both excitement and fear. As is the case with my Dottie, she does seem to be very excited, then at the last second she is overwhelmed and overloaded and can't handle it, which translates to fear and nervousness. So then she displays her apprehension with shows of aggression. It isn't that she's an "aggressive" dog; rather, she is "fear aggressive," and very nervous.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.