Digging issue

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Midget

Digging issue

Post by Midget »

Its me again:D

My Lovely puppy Ziggy wants to bury her bone. Watching her try to dig up the apartment specially tiles is cute, but i feel bad for her. I dont have a yard or anything(sometimes i thank god i dont) and i dont think the city would like for her to dig up the little grass they have in town.

What to do? (except get it on tape xD)
Leigha

Re: Digging issue

Post by Leigha »

If your apartment has a back patio you could put a small plastic sandbox in. Either get the kind that are designed to be sandboxes that come with a lid, or get a plastic kiddie pool that you can put sand in.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

If you can't do a sandbox, then you can layer some blankets or towels in a stack, and hide her bones and toys and treats and such in between the layers. She will have fun rooting around between the layers to find her treasures. To keep the house neater, you can keep the blankets/towels in a box or laundry basket, and that's her "sandbox." It will keep down on the vacuuming, lol.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Can you fit a wooden box, like a sandpit, into your apartment. Only instead of sand... fill it with scraps of fabric - I would suggest something like vet-bed or similar rather than anything she may mix up with your own clothing/bedding etc, though keeping the digging purely to the box may be a sufficiently clear context for her not to make that error?

Then she can dig adn bury things to her hearts content :)
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Midget

Post by Midget »

Thanks! very good ideas.

I think my apartment is the worst to get a dog,it only has windows.Im gonna try the fabric box thing cause till now i was trying to show her to hide her bone under a some pieces of fabric i have,so putting more fabric in a box will do it!
I'll keep an update :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Scrunched up newspaper in a big cardboard box is good for digging in as well
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS