Female Puppy vs 6 year old Male

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Midget

Female Puppy vs 6 year old Male

Post by Midget »

Ok im new on owning a dog on my own,sorry for "spamming" th forum with newbiw questions xD

Im planning to go back home next weekend and i dont trust anyone to leave my new puppy with so im taking her with me.
Problem is, my brother has a mixed 6year old male Labrador.As far as i know he hasnt had a problem with other dogs,but he never lived with one in he same house. Neighbours have dogs, dont htink he has had a problem with them.

Anyways, is it dangerous? Is there a chance for Male to eat her up?:D
or ..."hump" her?
Shoud i keep them away from each oher when they will be left alone even if it seems to go good at first?
or would male be jealous of us having pup in the house or on the porchwhile he is tied on the tree(dont judge me on the tieing, not my dog)?
I would love to keep her in the house,but my mom will have issues, and again the jealous thing..

My logic says that 1st she is female and 2nd she's a pup. Dont dogs have good instincts when it comes to puppies? at least most of the times?

Well i guess you got more than the concept here, please help the newbie!! xD

note: pup is 2,5 months old

Thank you in advance:)
emmabeth

Re: Female Puppy vs 6 year old Male

Post by emmabeth »

Most dogs wont hurt a puppy on purpose and it sounds as if your brothers dog is ok with dogs in general.

That said, especially male dogs, can be unnerved and wary of puppies, as puppies are something they have little experience of and puppies can be quite horrible to adult dogs, biting, takign their stuff, climbing all over them etc.

Introduce them on neutral ground, ie NOT in the older dogs home or garden. Introduce them on leash (or at least have the adult dog on leash) so you can be safe and go ffor a little walk together (just up the street and back nothing too far!).

Then go into the house together - now any toys of the adult dogs should be picked up and put away, ditto food bowls - so there are no resources for him to worry aobut the pup 'stealing'. Keep things low-key and relaxed and if the pup tries to get in the older dogs face, distract and redirect puppy to do something else instead. The adult dog MAY tell the puppy off and if he is restrained about this do not panic too much, adult dogs roar or airsnap and puppies WILL react by freaking out and screaming the place down. That is normal and as long as it is occasional, and the adult dog was justified in doing it (ie puppy was ragging his ears, had ignored earlier warnings to nto do that etc) its ok.

Dont just leave them to it unsupervised though, a nasty fright now can do a pup a lot of damage, and some adult dogs do not like puppies, nor do they know their own strength. I definitely wouldnt leave them unsupervised together, and I would give both dogs plenty of time out away from one another to relax and also to do things like walking/training etc with the respective owners so that they are tired and happy, not bouncing with energy looking for trouble.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Midget

Post by Midget »

emmabeth wrote:Introduce them on neutral ground, ie NOT in the older dogs home or garden. Introduce them on leash (or at least have the adult dog on leash) so you can be safe and go ffor a little walk together (just up the street and back nothing too far!).
emmabeth wrote:Dont just leave them to it unsupervised though, a nasty fright now can do a pup a lot of damage, and some adult dogs do not like puppies, nor do they know their own strength. I definitely wouldnt leave them unsupervised together, and I would give both dogs plenty of time out away from one another to relax and also to do things like walking/training etc with the respective owners so that they are tired and happy, not bouncing with energy looking for trouble.
I can do the first neutral ground thing,but not sure about the not leaving them unsupervised:/ To avoid a fight between the dogs though i am willing to fight with my mother:D

Its only for 2-3 days so i will hope Male dog wont mind keeping the pup in the house cause if i leave her on the porch he will surely get off his leash to go to her.

Thank you for your advice,i will certainly follow it and let you know how it went! :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Have you a safer option eg leaving pup in kennels while you are away, or with a sitter?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS