Potty Training

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Zoeypuppy21

Potty Training

Post by Zoeypuppy21 »

I have a 4 year old pekapoo. She is not fully potty trained. She will go potty when I take her outside, but sometimes she sneaks away and goes potty somewhere in the house. The house has gates in a few places to try and keep her in one area. When she does go outside I give her lots of praise and a treat. Am I not taking her out enough? There are many pet stains in our carpets what are your recommendations on how to clean the carpet? I was also wondering if you think it would be to late to puppy pad/litter box train her. The reason I ask if she can be trained using puppy pads is that when it is cold she can't stay outside very long with out freezing. She gets a walk in the morning and sometimes at night. She is fed in the morning and whatever she doesn't eat is left out. She has free access to water all day. I am willing to try lots!!!!
Thanks!
Mattie

Re: Potty Training

Post by Mattie »

Have a look at viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6125, it will give you an idea of how to potty train her. Consistancy is the key, the more consistant you are the quicker she will learn.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

How low do your temperatures go? It's always best for them to potty outside. If you give mixed messages by saying it's okay to potty inside sometimes, you won't have a clean dog.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
djordan

Post by djordan »

A couple questions..are you home during the day? If so I would definitly say take her out more, after napping, after eating. If you are not home, I would crate her, she does not need to have that water and food all day as long as you are not gone for more than 8 or 9 hours. I would not leave the food and water down, it is hard to potty train when they have free access. It may take a day or 2 for her to get used to eating on a schedule but I would feed her at least an hour before you leave so she can have time to go out and do business and then feed her in the evening. Look up and see how much she should be eating for her size and divide that for 2 feedings. She may not eat it all at the first feeding, but by the second she will. I feed my dogs and I have 5, at 6am and 6pm. They eat it within about 10 minutes. I have not had any potty issues. Good Luck
Zoeypuppy21

Post by Zoeypuppy21 »

Thanks for the advice! I will make sure that she is kept on a strick feeding schedule. I am home for most of the day so I will begin to take her out more. When I am gone she will be in the crate! Thanks again for the advice :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Always always leave water available for your dog, but food should be when you decide to feed.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Midget

Post by Midget »

Nettle wrote:Always always leave water available for your dog, but food should be when you decide to feed.
I have almost the same issue,well its not a problem considering im talking bout a 2,5 month puppy, but i work 7-8 hours 4 times a week. Im working on Mattie's Potty training advice. So i got rid of the newspapers and got the remedy for the odor cleaner.

When i am at work of course i cant control the potty, when i come home, i feed her around the same time and once i see her ready to "go" i put on her leash, take her outside (no backyard) for 3-5 minutes. Once i take her back in she is ready to "go" again so i just keep walking her for 3-5 minutes until she goes.Unfortunanlty i can repeat this only at night cause for me to keep the food on time i cant feed her earlier in the afternoon, so the afternoon walks arent so victorious when i work after.

Praise and a treat come with the win ofcourse. When she tries to go inside i give a treat for her to smell and then take her outside and give her a smell where i want her to go.Am i messing with her mind?
The vet told me to try a special treat like sausage only for the potty victory. Havent tried yet.

Should i keep this slow thing going cause i cant get a month or so time off from job. A week max. Should i wait for her meals to be cut down to 1-2* so i can handle it better with the week off?

note: i do leave water for her but she always spills it :| any tips?

*does the dog eventually eat one time a day?I do 3 at her age(2,5months) is it too much?
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Midget wrote:note: i do leave water for her but she always spills it :| any tips?
They make bowls that don't tip. I couldn't even begin to describe how they look, but we got ours from petsmart.
Midget

Post by Midget »

Leigha wrote:They make bowls that don't tip. I couldn't even begin to describe how they look, but we got ours from petsmart.
Thanks, although my country doesnt have a petsmart i think i have something in mind, i was going to get it for her when she grew up a bit because its big. It has a rubber base,almost cone shaped and pretty heavy so i'll try it !