Dog on couch

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

djordan

Dog on couch

Post by djordan »

I have a 4 month old Bullmastiff, she has been great, stubborn but great. She just now has started jumping on the couch. We have dog beds all over the place. I have tried to get her to lay on the beds and she will for a minute, then as soon as I turn my back she will run and jump on the couch. I pick her up best I can since she is at 50 pounds and take her back to her bed. It has been a week and she will not give up! What do I do? She is going get alot larger and I cannot let her take over the furniture, much less pick her up continuously.
Leigha

Re: Dog on couch

Post by Leigha »

You can try to body block her--when she looks like she might jump up on the couch get up and stand in front of her (this will probably be very hard to do because you're going to have to be quick). If that doesn't work or if you don't catch her 'til she's already on the couch you can teach her "off." When she's on the couch show her the treat (I usually show my dog and let him sniff) and then point to the ground and say off. Only say it one time. When she gets off, "yay good doggie!" and give her the treat. You'll probably have to do this repetitively but she should learn to stay off. Or at least you won't have to pick her up :)
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Djorden check yr pm.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Is she going to have access to the couch when you are not there?

If she is, i must point out right now you will NOT teach her to stay off the couch when you are not present - this thread makes me laugh a little, I have just spent the last three weeks encouraging my new dog, and trying to explain to her that she IS welcome to get on the couch whenever she wants. I think tonight shes cracked it as shes up there now and neither i nor my OH asked her/sent her up there!

If your dog wont have access to the couch when you are not present (and by present i mean in the room with her, not just in the home with her), then as explained, body block, and teach her that 'off' means 'get off the couch for a reward'.

When you ask a dog to get off something do make sure you are NOT blocking the route off the item of furniture, that you are not standing over them in a domineering sort of posture, or staring right at them. Often a couch or sofa provides a very secure place to be, with the animals back against a corner, raised up off the floor. The thing is, the minute you stand there and lean over and say all deep voiced 'OFF!'..... you are not inviting her to do anything, you are in fact threatening and challenging her!

To make ANY movement, towards someone leaning over you, staring in your face and effectively, barking at you, is a dangerous plan, its seen as takign up that challenge - she has no idea that you wont read her getting up to move as a confrontational response to your challenge/threat. So often the dog isntead of moving, almost digs itself deeper into the couch!

Then of course the person thinks 'ha thats not even funny, youa re defying me' and gets physical trying to lift or drag the dog off the sofa.... adn the dog thinks 'argh im trying to avoid you, im trapped here and NOW you are upping the challenge even further and may hurt me....' and all too often this can end with the dog growling or snapping!

So - stand back and stand sideways on, voice light and high pitched, its an invitation, its not a threat! In the teaching stages, proffer some reward so it is even more associated with pleasant things, (later on you will have the reward but not use it as bribery and later still you will get the reward from somewhere further away, and finally phase out the reward completely save for a fuss and a scritch).

If your dog is constantly trying to get on the sofa, look at the bed you are providing for her - is it in a place she wants to lay down in? Dogs like to lie down where they can see the entrances/exits, are not at floor level but are elevated slightly, adn have their backs against a wall or corner so they are safe from behind. In fact quite a few humans prefer this also which is why we sit on sofas with nice squishy corners, against walls... and we dont tend to sit in th emiddle of the room with our backs to the door, on the floor!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

It took Merlin 2 years to get onto the sofa, previously if I managed to get him up he immediately got down. One day he came in, stopped, looked at the sofa, looked at me, back to the sofa then climbed on. He spent the rest of his life on the sofa. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Dixie thinks about it. She'll put her front paws on it and get really close to us, but if we actually put her on the sofa she's very anxious about it. Maybe one day she'll enjoy it.
djordan

Post by djordan »

Thanks to all for advice, now to answer some questions..She is crated when we leave, 6 dog beds are spread throughout the house, 3 in the living room and 3 in the bedroom, none are in the middle of the floor, we have purchased crib mattresses and have put comfortable padding on them. We have 4 other dogs and none of them get on the furniture. She is very smart and that is what makes this more frustrating. While I am picking her up and removing her from the couch, I am giving her the Off command, I have tried to entice her off with a treat, she will not budge. My other dogs are sitting there watching this whole process, it is quite comical to them I am sure. Their ages are 15, 14, 13, 10 and now Zeva the baby. We do live in the country and Zeva is walked twice a day (20 -30 minutes each) and she does have evening playtime in the yard with the others, chasing a ball, eating bugs! I will try some of the advice given and try to maintain patience..if you have any other ideas please feel free to give it! :) :) :D
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Try having a short lead on her when you are with her, you can then lead her off the couch which will be easier for you.

The best way is to not let her be in a position to get onto the couch but that can be very difficult, when you are not there, keep her out of the room so she can't get on it.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
GllntKnight

Post by GllntKnight »

I don't allow access to other rooms only kitchen and porch. I will eventually allow access and will then use a scat mat. It should only takes one time and won't have to worry anymore actually she already knows not to get on the couch he hasn't had access yet so probably will use the mat once and then he will know. Occasionally gate gets left open and they make a beeline for my bed but they get off as soon as I tell them can't blame them since I have allowed them to sleep with me occasionally just like they sit my lap but when I don't want them jumping into my lap I just say off and they stop.
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. ~Author Unknown

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. ~Gilda Radner
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

What is a scat mat?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

A scat mat I believe is a mat that gives whatever stands on it an electric shock. I think there are versions that give out a loud noise but im pretty sure it is the former.

Please do not use these GllntKnight, that is a very unpleasant and unnecessary way to train, and it goes against the training philosphies of this forum as well.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

You picking her up and physically moving her could well turn the whole thing into a game for her, I know it would my dog. "Oh, if I get on the couch Sarah will come wrestle with me! This is great!" sort of thing. I have no problem with Rupert on the couch but I do want him to move when I ask. I taught him off by getting him up on the couch then tossing treats so he had to get off to get them and giving him the off command as he got off.

Does Zeva know where she's allowed to lie? I have a crate and a dog bed in my front room and have made a point of putting Rupe in/on them and rewarding him for being there. He did generalise to the spot his bed was always in at my parents so changing the bed wasn't a problem, if it was in "his" spot it was his bed. Does she ever go and lie on the dog beds of her own accord? I'm wondering whether she's uncomfortable lying in what she may see as another dogs spot. My rottie cross would not get on the bed my border collie cross used even if Shadow wasn't in the room.

Another thing that may be worth a try is giving her a visual signal that it's okay to get up on the couch. Get an old sheet or a throw or even a proper couch cover and teach her that she can get up when that is over the couch but if it's not then she stays on the floor. Especially useful if you don't mind them up on the couch now and then but don't want them getting up at other times. If you don't want her up at all then once she's learned it just don't put the sheet over the couch.
djordan

Post by djordan »

Update....

It is getting better, I have been getting her off the couch by offering her treats, she does respond, then I throw a treat on her bed and she will go there..she then will get distracted and start playing with her toys.. I am glad this is working, we took her to the vet and she is at 51 pounds already. She does have her very own crate that no other dog gets in, and she will put herself in there when she is tired, I have had no other issues. She is a wonderful dog. She gets along great with the others.

Thank you to all.