Sensitive collie

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

pat

Sensitive collie

Post by pat »

I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how to handle a sensitive collie. I do a lot of agility with Sasha but within the last year she's become quite stressed at shows and sometimes at training classes. I'm wondering if I'm trying to impose too much control over her and making her a bit neurotic. When she's training she has learned to sit and wait at the start of her run and this is very difficult for a hyperactive dog that just wants to go. I've been looking at video clips where I have to keep nagging her to sit while I walk a little way ahead. Also, at some training classes we've started going to they've insisted that she waits quietly for her turn to jump. Sasha finds this almost impossible but she has managed it, however she seems a lot more stressed and has less drive than she did. Any ideas would be welcome.
Getting eliminated is all part of the fun, or so I was told
Fundog

Re: Sensitive collie

Post by Fundog »

I think it's time to give her a bit of a vacation. No matter how much you love your hobby or sport, we all need a break sometimes. Instead, since from what you've said she does still very much enjoy the sport, you could set up a mini-agility course in your own backyard and just have fun with her there, without the stress of competing.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
pat

Post by pat »

We have to go to a show next weekend as I'm helping to run it and I need to be there to manage a ring and help to set up the show. After that we'll have a break for a few weeks. I'm not going to continue with the trainer who likes wait at the start and keeping quiet during the class. I think Sasha's finding it too frustrating and I seem to be constantly nagging. I'm not rubbishing the trainer as she is excellent and is also a good friend, it just doesn't seem to suit Sasha. It's probably my fault. We'll carry on training at home and going to an occasional class where I'll encourage Sasha's drive and enthusiasm.
Getting eliminated is all part of the fun, or so I was told
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Okay, good luck with your upcoming show, and enjoy a much deserved rest afterward! :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.