Potty Training

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Midget

Potty Training

Post by Midget »

Hi, im new to tis forum but i already like it!

I have a puppy for 2 days now. My friends found it and i took her in.
She's gone to the vet and stuff so she is healthy.
My concern is the potty training.

This is actually my first dog i have on my own.
Im working and live alone. My work scheduel is not fixed. I work same days,same time but half are in the morning and half in the afternoon.

Questions are, does my puppy have to "go" outside?is it ok to teach her to go inside only?
Can i teach her to go in and out?
My problem is, cause of my work, i wont be able to walk her on the same time every day.
Do adult dogs need only 1 walk? cause if thats the case i think i can handle.
I know its gonna be hard and slow cause of my scheduel, but im patient.
I waited almost my whole life to be mature enough to raise a dog.
Anyways i just need training tips. Ive searched the forum a bit but i couldnt find answers for these "weird" questions.

Any help would be very much appreciated:D
Thank you:D
Mattie

Re: Potty Training

Post by Mattie »

Have a read of these threads, they will help you and give you an idea of what stage your puppy is at and what to expect.

Toilet training viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6125

Stages of a puppy viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1981
Questions are, does my puppy have to "go" outside?is it ok to teach her to go inside only?
Can i teach her to go in and out?
It is better to teach your put to go outside not inside, when you allow them to go inside many think they can go anywhere so you can have a problem with her toileting all over your home and then keeping the smell away.
My problem is, cause of my work, i wont be able to walk her on the same time every day.
Do adult dogs need only 1 walk? cause if thats the case i think i can handle.
Exercise is important to a dog but they don't have to be walked at the same time every day. For puppies a guide is 5 minutes walk a day for every month of their life until they are about a year old. After that as long as they are fit enough you can walk as much as you want. There walks are better split into 2, you can have a short walk and a long one, they don't have to be the same length.

Do a search for various questions, read and then ask if you don't understand or there isn't anything to cover your question.

Good luck with your puppy, with our help you will have a lovely, obedient, dog.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Midget

Re: Potty Training

Post by Midget »

Thank you sooo much.
The links are pretty helpful.
I have a long road ahead and im sure that you guys will be the best to help me!!

Thanks again!!