Can No Longer Walk Dog

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Kalo

Can No Longer Walk Dog

Post by Kalo »

Hi Everyone,

The heat in Arizona is scorching and it's now hitting 112 degrees and in the morning it's already hitting 90 at 5:00 a.m. :(

However, the worst thing out of all of this is a coyote attacked this man's dog and was able to jumped the man's 6 foot brick wall to get into the backyard. :(

A couple of months ago my Dad saw a coyote across the next door neighbors lawn, and seriously, every time I go out to walk Cuddles I PRAY we don't run into one. I could NEVER forgive myself if something happened to my girl...NEVER!!!

My Dad has forbidden me to walk Cuddles anymore...I have looked for indoor dog parks and can not finding any in Arizona...So, what I've been doing is letting Cuddles out early in the morning and throwing the ball to her for exercise...

UGH, I HATE AZ and I know that not everyone that lives in Arizona has to watch out for coyotes but we do...

Next week my girl goes to the Vet to have her stitches removed. She is 18 pounds and one years old...I am going to ask the vet how much exercise she needs...

I REALLY want to walk her and do not have a problem, and I am not lazy, but damn coyotes are scarying me....

Any suggestions? Is it okay to just play fetch in the back yard??

Thanks Kalo
DogzRule1996

Re: Can No Longer Walk Dog

Post by DogzRule1996 »

The amount of exercise depends on breed and size. If she was a golden retriever, then she'd need a lot of exercise, but if she's a chihuahua or any small dog then playing fetch is fine. Maybe you could go out when the coyotes don't. Don't coyotes usually go out at night? Why don't you go during the day? Even though it's going to be hot, you could bring water and take a short walk and then play some more fetch, or some really good exercise for your dog is find another dog friend to play with. They would chase each other until they're all puckered out :lol:
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I just moved from southern Utah (a couple hours from Las Vegas), so I know your reality, including both the heat and the coyotes. I walked my girls out in the middle of the night, even though I knew coyotes were around. But I'm an adult, and have the privilege of taking risks for myself. You are forbidden by your father to take this risk, and I don't blame him-- I wouldn't let my own teenage children take that risk either. So the only solution is for your father to walk the dog in the evening or early pre-dawn morning (yes, I know it's still hot, but carry water for both you and the dog, and since the sun is not out, the heat is less intense), or for you father to walk with you-- it's some good father/daughter bonding time.

As an alternative, some retrieving drills in the backyard can serve as an acceptable substitute, but not every night of the whole summer. You and your father are going to have walk around the neighborhood. Like I said, take lots of water, and try to keep the walk down to 30 minutes.

As an aside, Mr. Fundog just read this over my shoulder, and he thinks that it is very likely that a coyote that would jump a fence to get to a domestic dog has rabies. So encourage all of your neighbors to keep your dogs current on rabies vaccine.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

aaahhh coyotes......

I live in a town, near the coast and still have to keep an eye out for them. about a month ago walked out my front door and turned right around and went back in as there was a coyote sitting about 10 yards from my front door. we dodge skunks too. depending on where I go for a walk and time of year, mountain lions are becoming a concern too.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

I am very happy that I am lucky enough to only have to worry about the wild bunnies. Our subdivision has a bunch of cute brown bunnies running around, and they breed like, well, rabbits. So every year there are more and more.

I did see a random opossum climbing a pine tree behind my back fence, but still nothing like lions, and tigers, and bears, oh my!
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Another way to exercise a dog is to challenge their mind with clicker training games like things to do with a box. See clickertraining.com for clicker games.

Around here we are dealing with rabid foxes, (I have orders from my husband to no longer walk the dogs in our favorite park. :( I understand his concern for our safety.) We also have an explosion of poisionous snakes, and August temperatures in June with high humidity to boot. All before the dogs have finished shedding their winter coats. (Plus my dogs just have issues that make finding a place to walk them a challenge anyway.) Mornings are cooler than evenings and thus the best bet for getting out. Taking plenty of water breaks and keeping it short and in the shade if at all possible. If mornings don't work, maybe try a pet friendly store. Pet supply stores around here allow and even encourage dog owners to walk around inside of their stores during the summer hot as well as the winter cold.

Best wishes as you solve this challenge.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

DogzRule1996 wrote:The amount of exercise depends on breed and size. If she was a golden retriever, then she'd need a lot of exercise, but if she's a chihuahua or any small dog then playing fetch is fine. Maybe you could go out when the coyotes don't. Don't coyotes usually go out at night? Why don't you go during the day? Even though it's going to be hot, you could bring water and take a short walk and then play some more fetch, or some really good exercise for your dog is find another dog friend to play with. They would chase each other until they're all puckered out :lol:

That's what I am thinking as well. Cuddles is only 18 pounds and she is considered a small breed. As for the coyotes they are unpredictable on what time they go out. My Dad saw one at 10:00 a.m. in the morning and I remember when I was working an office job and getting back from a lunch break I saw TWO coyotes roaming around in my parking space:shock: At the time my work was only two miles away from my house. I was walking Cuddles at 5:00 a.m. in the morning. My next door neighbor has a cute Las Apso dog named Charlie and she has invited me to let Cuddles come over an play with Charlie. I took her up on her offer and Cuddles had lots of fun. She loves her Charlie :) I guess I will just take my next door neighbor up on her offer more often.
Fundog wrote:I just moved from southern Utah (a couple hours from Las Vegas), so I know your reality, including both the heat and the coyotes. I walked my girls out in the middle of the night, even though I knew coyotes were around. But I'm an adult, and have the privilege of taking risks for myself. You are forbidden by your father to take this risk, and I don't blame him-- I wouldn't let my own teenage children take that risk either. So the only solution is for your father to walk the dog in the evening or early pre-dawn morning (yes, I know it's still hot, but carry water for both you and the dog, and since the sun is not out, the heat is less intense), or for you father to walk with you-- it's some good father/daughter bonding time.

As an alternative, some retrieving drills in the backyard can serve as an acceptable substitute, but not every night of the whole summer. You and your father are going to have walk around the neighborhood. Like I said, take lots of water, and try to keep the walk down to 30 minutes.

As an aside, Mr. Fundog just read this over my shoulder, and he thinks that it is very likely that a coyote that would jump a fence to get to a domestic dog has rabies. So encourage all of your neighbors to keep your dogs current on rabies vaccine.
I like taking risks as well, but, I starting to think that a 105 pound girl with a long stick and her little dog could never out beat a hungry coyote. As for my Dad walking with me, well, NO WAY would he do it. He is a man who doesn't like to take chances like this and he always preaches to me that Cuddles has a big back yard and can run there. Oh, and Cuddles is up to date on her rabies vacinne. However, I'll encourage all my next door neibors to keep their dogs current.
jacksdad wrote:aaahhh coyotes......

I live in a town, near the coast and still have to keep an eye out for them. about a month ago walked out my front door and turned right around and went back in as there was a coyote sitting about 10 yards from my front door. we dodge skunks too. depending on where I go for a walk and time of year, mountain lions are becoming a concern too.

OMG, 10 yards from your front door. I would really be frightened!!!! Do you still wak your dog?? Truthfully, I am happy I am not alone with the coyote issue.
Leigha wrote:I am very happy that I am lucky enough to only have to worry about the wild bunnies. Our subdivision has a bunch of cute brown bunnies running around, and they breed like, well, rabbits. So every year there are more and more.

I did see a random opossum climbing a pine tree behind my back fence, but still nothing like lions, and tigers, and bears, oh my!
Leigha, you are lucky. Ugh, the other day my brother called me from San Diego and he takes his Lab out with him all the time. They don't have to worry about HEAT, and or coyotes. OMG, I would love to live there and take my little girl out to the beach. They have a beach dedicated for dogs only. I wish Arizona was like this :(

Again, thanks for all that replied!!! I NEVER realized that other states have coyote problems as well. But it makes sense that they do.

Thanks again at least I am not feel so bad. I am thinking that besides playing with the neighborhood dog and playing fetch with her in the backyard, I can also take her to pets mart to at least keep her socialized.....

Thanks again, Kalo
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Kalo wrote: OMG, 10 yards from your front door. I would really be frightened!!!! Do you still wak your dog?? Truthfully, I am happy I am not alone with the coyote issue.
oh ya every day. only reason we ducked back into the house, I didn't think my treats were high value enough to try and counter condition Jacks reactivity in this situation. :lol: after the pitbull attack a single coyote isn't all the big a deal :wink: ....now if he brings his friends :shock: that's another matter.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I appreciate your fathers worries about the risks, however running in a back yard potentially forever... because of the risk of coyotes is really not acceptable from Cuddles point of view - life is there to be lived, not locked away in a yard.

Play dates with your neighbours dog is good if Cuddles gets on well with him/ her, and is it possible your Father would allow you to walk cuddles with someone else and their dog? Even see if you could find a small group to go walking with so that no one is ever walking alone??
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

emmabeth wrote:I appreciate your fathers worries about the risks, however running in a back yard potentially forever... because of the risk of coyotes is really not acceptable from Cuddles point of view - life is there to be lived, not locked away in a yard.

Play dates with your neighbours dog is good if Cuddles gets on well with him/ her, and is it possible your Father would allow you to walk cuddles with someone else and their dog? Even see if you could find a small group to go walking with so that no one is ever walking alone??
Seriously you are soooo RIGHT emmabeth!! I don't know any one of you personally on in cyberland....But, I am going to say my Father is a MAJOR WORRIER. I seriously doubt he would let me walk Cuddles with a group of people. Heck, I am even willing to put her in my car and drive her to a dog park and BOTH PARENTS won't even let me do that...

They are scared that Cuddles is going to jump all over the car, blah, blah, blah. You know whenever my Mom is in the car with Cuddles and me (of course I am driving), she just sits in my Mom's lap and behaves. She is not jumping all over.

I am growing tired of having to fight with my parents about Cuddles and truthfully we fight EVERYDAY.

Cuddles also has digging issues as well and do you know what both parents wanted to do in order to get Cuddles to stop digging???
Limite her outdoor time. Meaning "pee and poo" and BRING HER IN.. I got angry at my Mom explaing a dog needs to breath and have air...They love the outdoors. I have plead with both parents to install a sand box and they won't have it....They were getting angry at me for letting her out 5:15 a.m. and letting her run and play and waiting for her to pee and poo. I would supervisor her so she can get an hour of out door in the cool morning..They didn't like that...

There are so many ways to work around this, but, they are both stuborn people and sometimes their thinking is just wrong.

While I appreciate them having concerns about the coyote, I have been walking Cuddles for THREE months and NEVER ran into one. I was walking her at 5:15 a.m. in the morning. My Dad said it was just a matter of time until I ran into one.

I have to point out that I think some people on this forum think I am in my teens well i am not and my Parents are senior age and both have health issues.

In my opinion they had no business getting a young dog NONE at all. I think they had forgotten how a one year dog old acts and besides loving the dog and petting her and feeding her she needs more then that to make her well rounded and happy. I am not saying she's not happy and for being one she is pretty mellow...But she's a YOUNG DOG who nees her play and needs to be stimulated.

I feel like giving up and truthfully, I am soooooo tired of arguing about Cuddles to them. I am living with both Parents right now because I am out of work, but, and, truthfully, I have been living with them to semi caregive as well. My Mom is going for major surgery next week.

I can't go against my Parents because I respect them even if I believe they are WRONG.

I don't wish to come off sounding resentful to my parents as I LOVE THEM, but, I think getting this dog was a mistake on their part. I LOVE CuddlesL and only want what is best for both parents and dog. If something should ever happen to both Parents, you know I will be inherting a dog.

Truthfully, I am a responsilbe adult who is willing to walk Cuddles, play with her and take the slack off my Parents, however, they won't let me because of FEAR....

Oh, well, I guess it's not only a coyote issue after all :shock:

Thanks again for all your advise as it is always greatly appreciated....Kalo
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Ahh.. hmm.

Soft dog crate in the car, then she can't jump around at all...

Realistically though, if she is their dog then its their call and theres not a lot you can do about it. Very very frustrating for you, and for poor Cuddles as it is in the end she who suffers because of their anxieties/issues.

Im rubbish at this sort of thing, I would just have a blazing row with my parents (and did, frequently, hence I live 200 miles away from my Father and 10 miles from where my mother lived before she died!) but I can appreciate that that probably wouldnt solve anything!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

emmabeth wrote:Ahh.. hmm.

Soft dog crate in the car, then she can't jump around at all...

Realistically though, if she is their dog then its their call and theres not a lot you can do about it. Very very frustrating for you, and for poor Cuddles as it is in the end she who suffers because of their anxieties/issues.

Im rubbish at this sort of thing, I would just have a blazing row with my parents (and did, frequently, hence I live 200 miles away from my Father and 10 miles from where my mother lived before she died!) but I can appreciate that that probably wouldnt solve anything!
Your right emmabeth, even though they say that Cuddles is the family dog it is their dog and it is out of my hands. Truthfully, I think I am afraid that one day when they both are gone and I do inherent Cuddles, I just hope she's not screwed up. Because she is a Cava Poo she has such a sweet demeanor about her.

She goes with the flow..Like she has realized that she's not going for her walks anymore :( I'll let her out in the backyard and when left alone she looks in the window like she's expecting me to get the leash and take her and when I come out with no leash and the only thing I have in my hands is her little binky to throw and play fetch....She goes along with it. She could be alot worst, and develop bad behavioral habits...

I think that is what I am more afraid of, but so, far the only behavioral problem is digging and heck I just think she is doing what comes normal to her....

Thanks again for reading...Kalo
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Do you have any professional dog walkers in your area, who could take her out? I'm just trying to think a way around these problems that will suit Cuddles and you without sending the parents off on one.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

Nettle wrote:Do you have any professional dog walkers in your area, who could take her out? I'm just trying to think a way around these problems that will suit Cuddles and you without sending the parents off on one.
Hi Nettle,

A professional dog walker would be okay, but, think of it this way, if the Parents don't trust me and my ability to walk Cuddles and I am their daughter, how are they going to handle handing Cuddles over to a professional dog walker :(

What I am going to try to do is see if there is a dog walking club that I can join and at least walk Cuddles once a week on a Saturday. This is even a stretch because I would have to convince the Parents that I can drive Cuddles up to where ever they meet.

I appreciate your advise and it would cool to have a professional dog walker if I couldn't handle walking Cuddles, but, I don't think that it will work....

Kalo
gpvinnie

Post by gpvinnie »

Oh gosh, I miss living in Arizona. I didn't mind the summers too much. (I'd rather be inside cause it's too warm out than stuck inside cause it's cold out, at least Arizona has sunshine!)

I would definitely look into some sort of dog socialization class or training classes, even though it would cost money.

I would also call local Animal shelters, and see if they have any suggestions. So many people have dogs in Arizona and I'm sure there are solutions out there.

I know water useage is a big deal, but maybe you could set up a small wading pool for her in the backyard and fill it with water (maybe just once a week) and fill it with a few floaty squeaky toys.
Even if you just play for 15 minutes it might be exciting for her and stimulate her mind.