Paws on the shoulder

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dibbythedog

Paws on the shoulder

Post by Dibbythedog »

I'm sure this subject has come up before so sorry for repeating it.
Can we go over the reasons why dogs put their paws on other dogs shoulders when meeting? Emmabeth, I'm sure you said once, it was more of asking "will you let me do this" than trying to "dominate" I know it's not dominance as such but I would think a dog must be confident to do it.
I've just read of a nine month rescue old dog , neutered male x breed , who is doing this and the dogs he meets aren't happy about it though it hasn't lead to fights yet. The owner wants advice on how to handle this behaviour. Any tips?
Thanks, Alison
emmabeth

Re: Paws on the shoulder

Post by emmabeth »

It is more of a testing behaviour, though it depends on teh dog.

Some dogs are confident and plain rude, and will do it in a very pushy way, other dogs are in fact not confident but their anxiety leads them to be very concerned about where teh boundaries are exactly.. sot hey do it in a 'what happens if i do this..' way.

It as ever, isnt about just the specific mechanics of the behaviour, its about the context too - what happens leading up to it, who the dogs involved are, who else is there, where it happens, and what happens afterwards.

So have a look at the whole picture, does this dog barrel in and chuck both front paws on another dogs shoulder/back without as much as a by your leave? Or is there wary circling and bum sniffing, ears back and cautious one paw testing, waiting for a reaction.

If a dog is barging in and doing this without any preamble, I would take steps to stop him doing that and use a long lead and probably stooge dogs to ensure he has a series of greetings that go nicely and teach him self control too, and prevent this rude greeting.

If its the other sort then you have to play it by ear a bit more - if the other dog is as interested as he is in testing like this, I wouldnt worry too much. If the other dog clearly does not want it and hes being pushy, then allow him to greet then recall (use a long line if necessary) before this stage occurs. I would be very wary though about being shouty, or hoiking him away forcibly when hes testing and wary, because that can tip the pressure to much and start a spat. Much better to recall by making excited noises and running the other way. (and having the other dogs owner do the same).
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Dibbythedog

Post by Dibbythedog »

Thanks Emmabeth . This is really useful and I will pass this info on. :) The pup in question starts by sniffing when he meets other dogs so it sounds as if he is being cautious.
Alison
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

My new dog Dolly does this to other dogs Alison, Tilly thinks it is fun, Bonnie doesn't like it and tells her off. She is more cautious with strange dogs but will attempt it if she can. Dolly has no manners yet but is learning fast. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]