Dominatrix labrador

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

hjdoney

Dominatrix labrador

Post by hjdoney »

We have two male labs, one 18month black lab and one 5year old yellow lab. The black lab is a very dominant male and even though we have had him neutered he attempts to dominate the other one on a regular basis. He used to do it to other male dogs but this has stopped now.

How can we stop this behaviour?
H J Doney
Owner of 2 naughty labradors
Josie

Post by Josie »

What does he do that makes you think he's trying to dominate the other dog?

Dominance is a VERY over used term in dog training, often bolshy, pushy dogs are described as being dominant but they're actually just rude!

I'm assuming that it's mounting behaviour just because you mentioned your dog was neutered, is that right? If so, it's often due to over excitement and not necessarily dominance at all.
hjdoney

Dominatrix labrador

Post by hjdoney »

Thanks for your comments. In response, my 18 month old labrador tries to dominate my other labrador by mounting him, putting his paw over the other one's neck, standing over him, getting attention / food / cuddles first. At first I thought that this was just jealousy but after having read a few articles about dog behaviour I realised that he was trying to be the leader of the pack. I have now tried to establish myself as the leader and so I go out / in a door first, I eat before they do, etc etc and this seems to have improved his behaviour towards me and my husband.

However, he is still intent on "dominating" the elder dog. I have to say that the elder of the two is a very submissive dog and I get the impression that he would rather just ignore it than try to fight it, I would just like to know how I could go about toning down the dominating behaviour.

I understand that a lot of the time it is just excitement and playfulness, but there are other times when it is really not.
H J Doney
Owner of 2 naughty labradors
Josie

Post by Josie »

Dogs will always have hierarchies between themselves.

Most behaviourists disagree about whether or not a human can be a pack leader, but even so it wont change your dogs establishing a pecking order between themselves.

As long as it is not aggressive, it's not really a problem, but I would do some general obedience training with the older dog, and some work on teaching self control.

Make sure the younger dog gets lots of attention as well.

It's tricky to get the balance right because if you interfere too much, you can cause fights, but at the same time the higher ranking dog can become too pushy and bad mannered if allowed to.

If you can't already, learn how to read your dogs body language to make sure neither are stressed, and just make sure all their basic needs (affection/exercise/mental stimulation/good food etc) are met.
Aidan

Post by Aidan »

One of the most basic things every owner of multiple dogs should do is teach 'go to mat' and stay there.

I will be writing a detailed article for Positive Petzine on this before too long.

It will describe how to send one dog to mat while giving the other attention, food, etc
Regards,
Aidan
http://www.PositivePetzine.com