Getting a dog interested in play

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Helen2009

Getting a dog interested in play

Post by Helen2009 »

Hi there, just wondered if anyone had any tips for getting a dog used to playing with toys, tuggies etc... My rescue girl just looks at me with a blank if I present with a tug toy or any toy for that matter. Hardly surprising as I don't think she had much interaction from her old owner. My dog is tuggie obsessed and I'd like to start to get her interested in toys, so far I've drawn a blank. She is food obsessed so I'm hoping I can link the two in some way. Any advice or tips much appreciated!
Fundog

Re: Getting a dog interested in play

Post by Fundog »

I've found dogs to be as diverse in toys/playing preference as human children. I've got a dog who loves to play tug, whereas my other rescue quickly learned that playing tug is no fun when you constantly lose to the bigger, stronger dog. The softer dog prefers to play fight and wrestle, and she will not fetch, though she does like to cuddle with her soft toys. Sometimes I've found that when I'm playing tug with my first dog, the second (soft) dog will become interested and come over, wanting to join in. However, she simply is not strong enough to keep a grip on the tug rope, and gives up quickly. It's been almost two years since we got Dottie, and still we have made little progress. We haven't given up, though-- we still keep trying to invite her to play. In the end, she would just as soon go belly up and get tummy rubs. :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Helen2009

Post by Helen2009 »

Yes Evie too. Very affectionate but just looks at a ball and thinks "What's that?" If it isn't edible, she isn't that interested! Shame as I'd love to play ball with her in the garden and run off some energy, but she prefers to sunbathe at the moment!
Zeldacorgi

Post by Zeldacorgi »

My trainer here had a fun idea for us. Take the dogs to a dog store and let them pick out their own toys. I've already discovered that while my puppy loves the toys I bought for her before, she found a couple on her own that she LOVES! :D
jennyf

Post by jennyf »

Interesting thread as I have an ex puppy farm breeding Westie who also looks a bit blank when asked to play!!! I've tried the nylabone things but she's not really interested. She has played a little bit with a rope toy though but looks blank if I throw a ball just a little way for her. She's approx 3 years old so I'm not going to give up. Generally, any form of interaction is hard work.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

A lot of perfectly normal non-traumatised dogs don't play with toys. Mine don't once they have grown out of puppyhood. It's a human concept to want them "playful". Fine if they are that way but nothing unnatural if they are not.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

My rescue didn't play with toys until recently. She would do the blank stare, or she would run away from the toys. We left her alone when we realized she didn't know what to do with them and she ended up figuring it out with the help of our beagle. Now they play tug, she picks up toys and throws them or runs with them. She doesn't play with us with the toys, but that's okay.
Doglover42

Post by Doglover42 »

My sisters rescue - He's about 5 years old , will play with the ball for approximately 2 minutes and then he'll stop, he just looks at me with that blank look like 'what now?' I'd love to play with him and get him more play time!
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Murphy will play tug a few times and then after a few times when I try to give him the rope he won't take it. At the dog park, I can throw a ball a couple of times, but after a few of those, he'll run over to it and then keep going and sniff stuff. :lol:
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

jack has to be in the mood to play fetch and that only lasts about 5 minutes. he likes to play with a little doxie looking "stuffed" animal toy, he will play with that by him self from time to time and will play fetch a lot more with that then a ball. But what he really, really loves is a good game of chase or anything that involves running. hid and seek is another he seems to like.

rather then a lot of toys, I wonder if jack would get more out of "play" that simulated natural behaviors or if that is possibly asking for trouble?
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Jacksdad,
Agility (and other canine sports) use running, jumping and climbing, which might be something to look into.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Wicket wrote:Jacksdad,
Agility (and other canine sports) use running, jumping and climbing, which might be something to look into.
while I have neither the time or interest in serious competition in terms of these activities, I am hoping he can participate in some of the local informal agility/racing events. But the trainer I worked with briefly believes we should hold off for awhile. her concern is the high energy/arousal of dogs at these type activities will be too much for Jack right now and that I should be prepared that he may never be able to participate in these activities unless I can find a way for him to do them by him self without other dogs around. time will tell though.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'd keep him right away from the high arousal in these group activities (aplogies to Wicket: we know more of Jack's history and how far he has come) but you can put up a little agility course in the yard and see if he would like to try hopping over a low x-pole (more inviting than a single pole) or going into a tunnel you could make with your customary ingenuity :wink: and some bits from the DIY store.

Scenting trails round the garden/yard, and hiding stuff for him to find would be fun for him too and shouldn't awaken any devils.

All of this is away from other dogs and in his safe environment, while not lighting the torch for catching rabbits and squirrels.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Zeldacorgi

Post by Zeldacorgi »

Just a fun experience on my trainer's advice about letting puppy pick out her own toy:

I took Zelda to her first pet store where we tried offering her a bunch of different toys (West Paw, balls, frisbees, kongs, etc.). So which toy did she pick out all on her own? A giant stuffed animal fish! I would have never even thought to get her something like that, but she loves it! :D
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Nettle wrote:I'd keep him right away from the high arousal in these group activities (aplogies to Wicket: we know more of Jack's history and how far he has come) but you can put up a little agility course in the yard and see if he would like to try hopping over a low x-pole (more inviting than a single pole) or going into a tunnel you could make with your customary ingenuity :wink: and some bits from the DIY store.
The agility clubs like AKC and NADAC (and I'm sure others do too) have dimensions on their website for obstacles. Kiddie tunnels are recommended for practice and a lot cheaper. You can train these obstacles with clicker training and other forms of positive reinforcement. Just keep in time that since there's a lot jumping, climbing, etc. involved, it can be hard on the joints.

I'd certainly not want to stress Jack or other any other dog if Jack is reactive. My trainer won't allow any reactive/aggressive dogs in the class for obvious safety reasons.