Interesting viewpoint ?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

globe

Interesting viewpoint ?

Post by globe »

Cam across this article from a NZ trainer the other day. Be interesting to see what others make of it.

http://www.paulhutton.co.nz/industry/index.html
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I very much dont like.

He is extremely quick to dismiss positive reward methods, and does so in a very rude way. That doesnt impress me in the slightest.

Then he doesnt actually say what he DOES do either. Again, not impressed.

I do agree with pretty much everything on his 'fact or fallacy' list, yes.

I would be expecting he uses extremely harsh NILIF/rank reduction programs, and quite probably a lot of aversives, such as spray collars, choke chains etc.

Whilst he goes on and on about not shouting and not hitting, and he doesnt like electric shock collars, he makes no mention i can find about spray collars or choke chains and there still are a lot of people who will at least avoid admitting that these things ARE positive punishments, if not claim that they are not.

Ignoring a dog is every bit as much of a punishment as hitting it, but the former is negative punishment (taking away in this case attention) and the other is positive punishment (adding int his case, a slap).

What he also fails to mention is that with positive reward, it goes hand in hand with negative punishment.

I reward my dog when he does the right thing, so i give him seomthing nice.

I ignore him, when he doesnt, so i take away the attention he wants.

So reward based training is not just throwing food randomly at your dog, in fact you can do it without food, just use something else your dog likes.

In fact, if he does use NILIF type programs he DOES use positive reward because he rewards the dog with his attention when it behaves the way he wants.

Im confusing myself now and probably everyone else, so i think its time for bed. Id love for this guy to actually honestly TELL us all what he does though instead of just ripping into everyone else. Put his methods forwards for the same level of critiscism he has applied to others.
Calin

Post by Calin »

Yeah, I noticed that too. He is quick to put down every other method....but he never really mentions exactly what HE does. I combed through his site looking for specifics, but he is purposely vague about it. Just calls it 'non verbal control' or something or another. Personally, it's hard to take him seriously unless I can figure out exactly what he's doing.