Do I really need a fence?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

hah0821

Do I really need a fence?

Post by hah0821 »

I am just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to use the positive dog training to help a dog know not to go out of the yard. We love to be outside playing with the kids in different activities. We need to include our Saint in the fun but are scared she will run away. How do I teach her to stay put and she can be off the leash? I have found no literature on this just suggestions from family and friends that seem really harsh. Please Help!
Fundog

Re: Do I really need a fence?

Post by Fundog »

We just recently moved to a place with a big yard that is not completely enclosed. I've got a seven year old Springer who, by both breeding and training can roam the property off-leash, provided we go out with her and call her back when she oversteps our property line. I've also got a three year old English Setter who absolutely must be on leash or she will take off faster than you can blink, and you may not see her again for a couple of hours. One thing I'll be doing with her until we can get our yard completely fenced, is to put her on a long-line (a really long length of 1/4" nylon rope) and tie her to a solid fixture, like a tree, so she can run without getting lost or hurt. We must always be out there with her when she is tied, so we can unwind her when needed, and make sure something dreadful doesn't happen. Using the long line, I can also practice and reinforce her recall, teaching her to stay close (make a game out of it, rewarding her when she "checks in.") But it does take training, and it may take several months to solidify it.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I wouldn't chance having a dog loose in an unfenced yard no matter how good the dog is, Fundog has just moved in and not had a chance to fence off yet but she knows her dogs and is aware of what they will do.

Dogs love to chase, cats, rabbits, deer etc. once they are focused on these nothing you say or do will stop them chasing, without a fence, your dog has gone. When dogs are focused like this they will run through an electric fence without feeling the shock.

Fences don't have to be expensive, stock mesh makes a good fence and is reasonable, you can extend it as more money becomes available.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Yep, it is just not worth the risk.

Without a fence you need to train train train, and THEN, still never have the dog outside unsupervised, and supervision... means someone having 100% of their attention on the dog the whole time. So that means not BBQing, not playing with the kids, on the phone, listening to the radio, playing in the pool, talkign to the neighbours...

That isnt what you envisage in spending time outdoors with your family and your dog, so really - get a fence.

Nothing ruins a sunny summers day like the dog getting out on the road and getting run over.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
shybird

Post by shybird »

Adding to the already good list of reasons above to have a fence, it keeps unwanted dogs out of your yard. Keeping your dog safe from attack from a not so nice visitor.
Myia
Don't buy,while shelter pets die.
Ban irresponsibility,not breeds.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

One of the main reasons I finally fenced my yard was to keep wandering neighborhood dogs out. Once one has dogs that are taking care of their business on one's own yard, it is an open invitation for other dogs to come and check it out. After walking out of my door with my dogs on leash several mornings in a row to find a roaming dog visiting my yard, the fence went up asap.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Oh yes, as Mattie explained (I should have clarified better), we just haven't had time yet to get fenced-- we've only just moved in one week past. Also, as Mattie said, I know my dogs well, and know what needs to be done to manage them. Even so, we NEVER let even Annie out unsupervised-- someone ALWAYS goes out with her, and I call her whenever I change directions, to "keep her on task." For example, if I go from front yard to back, she comes with me. I would never leave her up front by the busy road with me in back or in the house.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

We can't trust Cadence at all outside (that hound nose just carries her off haha) so we always leave the long leash on her if we want to play outside and let her drag it around, but only do this is there is nothing that the leash can get caught on so your dog won't get yanked back. Before we started letting her drag the leash around, we got one of those things you twist into the ground and it has like a 20 ft leash attached to it so the dog can move all around and out 20 ft. You could always get that but be sure to play WITHIN the boundaries your dog can reach to so again it won't get yanked back.