Dog doesn't like to be sniffed

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

yummybagel

Dog doesn't like to be sniffed

Post by yummybagel »

My male one year old beagle used to be fine with being sniffed (or greeted) until several months ago. He would approach other dogs to sniff them, but when other dogs come to sniff him, he jumps and avoids them. When we go to the dog park, he lets other dogs sniff him on the nose, but when they greet him by sniffing on the weaner or behind, he jumps or shy away. He has been chased several times by big dogs, but it was during play. We try to stay in a small dog area, but my beagle seems to think that he's bigger than he really is because he doesn't want to play with them, and just stares across the fence towards the big dog area. Also, he seems to like being chased because he always comes back for more, even when things get rough. He's not acting aggressive or anything, but he shy away when other dogs come to sniff him. Does his behavior suggest that he is afraid of other dogs? I've read that when they are 6 months to 14 months, dogs go through a "second fear" stage when they are afraid of new people and new situations. Could he be going through this stage? What can I do to help him not be afraid of other dogs? (He has been socialized since puppyhood, and he was always friendly towards other dogs)
Fundog

Re: Dog doesn't like to be sniffed

Post by Fundog »

It certainly sounds to me like he may be feeling a bit awkward, or even fearful around other dogs. My own Dottie has a very similar issue-- she's happy to watch other dogs, and even acts like she wants to play with them from the other side of the fence. But when it comes down to the actual greeting protocol (sniffing), it is as though she can't handle the intimacy and then changes her mind and gets snarky. (When I explain her behavior to other dog owners, I use the "first date" analogy) I also have a second dog who actually enjoys the company of other dogs, so when I take my two to the dog park, I let my social dog off to meet and greet, and I just keep the shy one close to me, letting her observe other dogs at play from a short distance. She's getting better, but it just takes time. Meanwhile, if a dog gets too close for comfort, I will step between and body block, keeping both dogs safe.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
yummybagel

Post by yummybagel »

I'm kind of confused, because he does the play bow and everything, he even wrestles with some of the dogs, but when it comes to sniffing, he seems kind of nervous.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Yep, some dogs are just like that-- say you were at a dinner party, where you were happily chatting with some of the other guests, whom you didn't really know-- and one of them sits down next to you and wants to hold your hand and drape his arm around you....

Several years ago, when I was attending church and helping out as a Sunday School teacher, it just so happened that the Children's Ministry Director was a "huggy" person: whenever he greeted me, he embraced me in a hug and started caressing my back with his hand... needless to say, it made me a wee bit uncomfortable. Of course, I didn't try to bite him though, lol. Instead, I made more of an effort to keep out of arm's reach of him.

Come to think of it, I don't really even like to shake hands with people-- I always carry hand sanitizer and make sure to apply a generous layer when all the hand shaking is done.

I figure it's a lot the same way with some dogs.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.