recall advice please

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: recall advice please

Post by Nettle »

You need to read the walk and see the cat first. You are taller and can see further than the dog. You have to keep a very good lookout and when you see a cat, either have the dog on a short lead focused on you or if you doubt being able to keep his focus, walk the other way. The shorter the lead the less force delivered to your arm, and the less the dog is able to take off.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Sarah83 wrote:
If he decides to go the look on their faces when they realise they can't is wonderful.
Sadly the feeling in your arm when an 80lb dog hits the end of 20 meter line at full speed because they saw a cat and took off after it isn't so wonderful. Nor was the feeling in my knees as they hit the ground, or my boobs as they followed. Thankfully he stopped so I was saved the indignity of being dragged along on my face. Can I ask how you prevent this Mattie? I have Rupe on a harness and generally he's very good on a long line but if he sees something to chase he's completely blind and deaf to everything else which is why he's on the long line in the first place.

Been there, done that, it is even worse with a 2 year old colt on the end of the line :lol:

You have to be aware of what is going on round you, just concentrating on your dog won't work, you also need to see what is ahead. Many people look but don't see, they don't notice what they are looking at, you have to. You need to look ahead, you are taller than your dog as Nettle says, you can see over fences, hedges, etc. even look under vehicles ahead, you can see legs. Be aware of your surroundings and take action before your dog sees them.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Yeah, the problem arises on the rare occasion I don't see it before he does. If there's a cat crouched down in waist high grass at 11pm I simply can't see it. I don't know whether he sees it or smells it but we take off. Thankfully it's only happened twice. Both times it was too dark for me to see anything before him. On the street it's not an issue, he's on a regular leash and most of the time I spot it first. We have a lot of terraced houses and privacy fences round here so corners can be tricky. I put him behind me slightly so if there is a cat or other dog there I have some warning.

Ah well, I had a feeling I may get the answer I did. Thanks anyway folks :D
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Sarah, I've been there too. I think I have it managed, and scanning the road ahead has become second nature to me. Looking in all directions while Murphy is sniffing, checking behind us if we're not walking that fast, etc. Yesterday he was sniffing and taking forever, my mind wandered, next thing I knew he was off - I didn't see a cat had come up behind us. It wasn't the first time, won't be the last. I let out a pathetic yelp because he nearly had the leash twisted around me. After the cat ran away, we "pulled over" and had a massage to calm both our nerves.

Luckily Murphy is only 50 pounds so easier to handle I suspect than your 80 pounder. You have Rupe on a harness but what kind? The kind of harness you use might affect how well you can keep hold of him or how much he can yank you.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I have no idea what type of harness it is to be honest :oops: I didn't want him on a regular collar when on a long line and the halti I walk him on is obviously a huge no no with one so I just bought a harness. It's not one of the ones where you attach the leash at the front, wasn't sure they'd be suitable for using with a long line. I had a look online but can't find the one I have.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Sarah83 wrote: Sadly the feeling in your arm when an 80lb dog hits the end of 20 meter line at full speed because they saw a cat and took off after it isn't so wonderful. Nor was the feeling in my knees as they hit the ground, or my boobs as they followed. Thankfully he stopped so I was saved the indignity of being dragged along on my face. Can I ask how you prevent this .....
smaller dog???

sorry, couldn't resist. actually as you most likely know smaller dog doesn't help all that much, just being a smart@55

I actually love these kinds of threads all the good bits of info. I am hoping to let Jack off lead one of these days, but being a terrier mix when he zones in on scents such as food and dogs and cats and ducks and squirrels and...... well you get the idea, he REALLY zones in. Worst of all, considering all his confidence/fear issues cars/trucks/buses are not on the list. shows no fear or realization they can hurt him. and knowing Jack he will only get one shot at making the right choice when it comes to cars/trucks/buses and if he makes the wrong one he will be an ex doggie. despite how smart as he is, I am not betting the farm he will make the right choice.

so all the recall training info shared by everyone is much appreciated.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Haha Jacksdad, very funny. True though :lol: He's very much like Jack, if he catches sight or scent of something he zones everything else out. No idea on his mix, he's just a largeish scruffy mutt as far as I'm concerned, but he's damn good at catching and killing things. Rupe's gone from being absolutely scared stiff of traffic to being chilled out about standing or sitting in the middle of 4 lanes of fast moving traffic on a tiny little crossing (god I hated that crossing!) so I doubt he's going to worry about traffic if he's chasing something.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Sarah83 wrote: No idea on his mix, he's just a largeish scruffy mutt as far as I'm concerned....
according to one of my co-workers that type dog is a custom model :lol:
GllntKnight

Post by GllntKnight »

Methods described do NOT work for my JRT, Long Line etc What can I do besides I am disabled so any training is difficut for me. She is also very territorial and has bitten two people My other JRT chases cars I am at my wits end as to what to do everything I've tried does not work.

I understand Victoria Stilwell will be in the Tri State area and am hoping she can come to CT.
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. ~Author Unknown

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. ~Gilda Radner
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

GllntKnight, it is better to start new threads even if your issue/question is similar to one already in progress. this way you don't get lost in the "shuffle".

I would highly suggest a new topic/thread for your questions. in it provide

the issue needing help with
age and breed of dog
type of training to date
briefly describe typical day of your dog.

in this case, your seem to be asking about recall. What have you done and how long have you tried it would also be helpful.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

GllntKnight wrote:Methods described do NOT work for my JRT, Long Line etc What can I do besides I am disabled so any training is difficut for me. She is also very territorial and has bitten two people My other JRT chases cars I am at my wits end as to what to do everything I've tried does not work.

I understand Victoria Stilwell will be in the Tri State area and am hoping she can come to CT.
Long line recall training does work for JRTs if done properly, it can even be done by someone in a wheelchair. if you dog knows how long the long line is there is no point in teaching him to recall with a long line. I don't let my dogs know how long the line is, I call them back before they get to the end.

You have to be more exciting than what your dog wants to do, play hide and seek, hide and call him. Use only high rewards, rewards are not necessarily treats especially with JRTs, find a toy he will work for and just keep it for recall. Terriers love squeaky toys or balls, especially big balls.

Think positive, instead of thinking that is going to be difficult, think I will be able to do that it isn't too bad and yes I am talking from experience.

Your dog that chases cars should never be off the lead, not only can he be killed he could kill someone. You can't train him and your dog needing recall training at the same time, you have to take them out seperately.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

GllntKnight please please please can you start your own thread where we can talk about your dogs training problems in greater detail.

Sarah83 - you can get dogleads that have a bungee/elastic section in them or are made entirely from really strong elastic - (there are a few, the Wacky Walkr is made from super strong stretchy rubbery tubing stuff, theres another thats made of elastic cords, up to four cords for big dogs but i forget what that one is called).

I think they are advertised as curing pulling and as far as I have seen, they wont - but they will take some of the ouch out of a sudden lunge!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Sarah there are these two products that I've seen and been curious about but never actually bought.

http://www.sitstay.com/dog/supplies/ser ... 3321_23904_

http://www.sitstay.com/dog/supplies/ser ... 3321_23904_

Maybe for the time being, you can just keep an eye on Rupe and never let him get far enough on the long line to reach the end. Call him back constantly so he doesn't get a chance to get too focused on sniffing or looking around. I don't know, it's tough. I've had Murphy dash around me and winding the long line around my ankles :shock: - lost my shoe and my balance that time. Good luck anyway, hope maybe the bungee leashes help.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll have to look into those. And noobs, I've had Rupe do exactly the same thing to me :lol:
scary

Post by scary »

Thanks very mcuh for your replies, i currently have wilbur on the lead most of the time as dont want to risk losign him or him getting run over, we play lots of games and run about and he seems happy with this.
I do let him off in the forest for half the walk as theres less dense woodland there and when we get to the woodland i put him on the lead. i try and vary where i put him on so he doesnt get too used to it!!

i have tried searchng for tracker groups but as yet have had no luck!!

thanks again for your advice, will keep you posted!!