Strange aggression to other small dogs (bullying)

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

neil62

Strange aggression to other small dogs (bullying)

Post by neil62 »

im desperate . Have been round the net asked around to. My gsd, is 18 months old and she will attack another small dog or cat. I would trust her with any person, any age. She did go for one person but i was really scared of him to, it was dark and a hoodie came past and not the sort i would cross. Its seems to be just small dogs she feels she can bully. But not the new puppy we've just got though or dogs she is used to. Im really hoping for help. they are walked 3 times a day together. one 1/2 to 3/4 hour, and twice ball chasing or short walk depending on my mood. usually till they toilet, thats going out not in the garden. They are feed royal canine puppy for dogs up to 18months 2 years.. and she is not neutered. We got her from a house were she was left in the back garden with a terrier. i wondered if she had been bullied and is getting her own back. I must stop this though.
jacksdad

Re: Strange aggression to other small dogs (bullying)

Post by jacksdad »

Ok, lot of new posts came in and your getting a little lost in the shuffle.

here is a thread that talks about different stages a dog goes through from birth to 2 years old viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1981
From the Link

"Young Adulthood 18-24 months

Many dogs may show a rise in aggression levels during this time. They may become protective and territorial and take advantage of any relaxation of the guidelines set by the owner."

This is why I am a bit hesitant to try and offer too much advise. Not 100% sure all that goes into helping dogs at this stage. Not having a puppy my self.

However, I can give you a few tips that can't hurt as I also have a reactive dog.

First, one more thread link. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6111

Aggression is often misunderstood and when you have a dog that is otherwise sweet and loving and calm, but when X happens flies into a "furry" there is often more to it then "oh you have an aggressive dog. Which to most people means your dog is out hurt things for kicks. when in reality your dog may just be putting up a good show hoping whatever stirred them up goes away. So why is your dog doing this? You may never know for sure, but it is possible that the terrier picked on your dog and now your dog has generalized strange small dog = being picked on, so I should put up a good show in hopes they go away. Or maybe it is more a I need to get them before they get me approach.

So, What to do. Well for the time being, avoid cats and small dogs or even strange dogs in general if your dog reacts to other dogs across the board. You need to break the cycle of see dog/cat explode into attack mod. if you see dog or cat ahead on your walk, turn and go the other direction. Or let them pass on the other side of the street, or duck behind a parked car until they are out of sight etc. basically you don't want your dog to see and react if at all possible. things will get by you, it happens don't worry do the best you can.

You will need to find the distance your dog does not react to other dogs or cats. this is the distance you need to keep if at all possible. This will also be the distance you will begin to reward your dog for either focusing on you and not reacting to dog/cat (ie "watch me" behavior) or looking at dog/cat and not reacting (ie "look at" behavior).

There are a few more things to discuss, but again, because of the above mentioned 18 month stage, I want to wait until one of the more "teen age dog" experienced members can check in. But for now, do your best to avoid dogs and cats. You might consider upping your dogs exercise so she can burn of more of her energy and explore clicker training. clicker training thread viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513

regardless of if this is the 18 month stage or a strait up case of a dog that needs help relearning other dogs do not need to be "attacked" or even a combo of both, you are in the right place. stick around, help is on the way.