Pomeranian Puppy has no fear- acts like a cat!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

yogismom

Pomeranian Puppy has no fear- acts like a cat!

Post by yogismom »

We have recently added a wonderful addition to our family, a beautiful five-month old Chocolate Pomeranian named Yogi. He is our first family dog though we did grow up with dogs as children.
We watch "It's Me Or The Dog" religiously, and my entire family is doing terrific in training our new puppy. He is never yelled at or scolded, is well socialized with children and other dogs, and he learns very quickly, sometimes as fast as three or four tries, and then we reinforce it positively with lots of praise and treats. It's amazing how wonderful he is doing. He's almost completely housebroken with only an occasional accident. He sits, stays, comes when called, lays down, does great on a leash, leaves it/drops it, allows us to poke and prod him, brush him, and has even learned "friend", and "quiet" when he gets excited and becomes yappy. This was all done with your positive reinforcement tips which we greatly appreciate! Thank you! He is so much fun and seems to want to learn something new all the time. However....

The one problem we're having right now is that he tends to do very dangerous things and I'd like some advice on how to break these habits positively, perhaps with some distraction suggestions, because I'm really afraid he's going to hurt himself. For instance, we do allow our puppy on the couch with us, and it hasn't been a problem, until recently he started jumping on to the back of the sectional and walks back and forth like a cat on a very narrow ledge. It doesn't matter if we are with him on the couch or not. (He is never left alone as we all work from home, but he does have range of the house since he's become trained). He also will climb chairs and balance on the back and he recently actually stood on his hind legs (and balanced perfectly) while standing on about a 2-3 inch chair back. When outside he will jump from the highest step (about three feet off the ground) rather than walk down the stairs. The stair jumping is not motivated by fear or by not knowing how to get down. If it is a long staircase he can walk down them just fine. He just seems to be a daredevil and I'm terrified he's going to fall and really hurt himself. He is only five pounds and is still very young.

Lastly, I should mention he does this whether he is calm or excited. There is no rhyme or reason (that WE understand) as to when he will do it or why. It isn't puppy zooms or over-excitement. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! When he does this we do tell him "down" and point to the floor and give a treat when he gets down. We don't panic or run to get him because we don't want to startle him and have him possibly fall, but we do calmly tell him, "down" followed by a treat. (Even though I'm about to have a heart attack every time he does it-- maybe he senses that?)
bikersblu

Re: Pomeranian Puppy has no fear- acts like a cat!

Post by bikersblu »

Wow! He sure is a brave little guy! My pup also liked to climb. He has mastered climbing onto the back of the sofa and onto the windowledge...but bearing in mind he is 3 times the size he was when I got him lol.

The only thing I can think of is something I had to do with Leo when he tired to go downstairs when he was little (his legs never quite made the next step lol) We had to put obstacles in the way as it were. On the stairs I would always make sure I was in front of him, and when he walked down them calmly I would praise him. With the backs of chairs, only thing I can think of doing would be to put something on the backs of them to stop him doing it. Maybe for the steps you mentioned outside, try putting a different toy or something similar on each step so he has to stop and give it a sniff.

Im probably doing it all wrong but that is what I found helped with Leo. But it sounds like you'll have to keep telling him no when he does what he shouldnt. Next time he climbs onto it, just lift him off and tell him no. Dogs are almost like children, you need to give them boundries (Yes I am guilty of spoiling my dog :lol: but he gets disiplined just like my kids...am just trying to teach him how to pick up and put his toys away lol :wink: )
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Don't bother with telling him "no" - he doesn't know what it means, and you are doing much better already by giving him the down command and then rewarding him when he does come down. And please don't lift him off - you might well end up teaching him to be defensive which would be a terrible shame when you have done so well. Even though he is small you are far better teaching him to respond to your voice commands and hand signals than resorting to picking him up to move him - he may be acting like a cat but he is still a dog and prefers to be asked not just moved!

It sounds like you have done such a good job with him that he is a very confident little fellow! When he climbs, is it to see out of windows or anything? My dog climbs onto the back of the armchair to see out, if he can't do that then he climbs on the table, so I just gave in and gave him the chair :roll: But if your little dog is looking for a viewpoint, is there any way you can create one that is safer for him? Maybe using a cat cradle or something similar. But again, if you do this, make sure it is a safe place for him, so don't allow anyone to pick him up from it or grab him from it, ask him to come down as you are doing already.

If it doesn't give him a viewpoint, then maybe he does just like exploring, and you have the choice of very consistently asking him to come down and making a big fuss of him on the floor in the hope that he might eventually give it up, or prevent him doing it by blocking the chairs somehow - if it is a dining chair for example then push it under the table so he can't get up.

I would worry less about him jumping down stairs, its not ideal but unless you resort to putting him on lead every time you go down them, it might just be the way he does it! Dogs often don't like steps, it may actually be easier for him to jump the lot than to walk down, depends on how wide the step is.

Hopefully there will be a few more ideas along soon!!
yogismom

Post by yogismom »

[quote="bikersblu"]

The only thing I can think of is something I had to do with Leo when he tired to go downstairs when he was little (his legs never quite made the next step lol) We had to put obstacles in the way as it were. On the stairs I would always make sure I was in front of him, and when he walked down them calmly I would praise him. With the backs of chairs, only thing I can think of doing would be to put something on the backs of them to stop him doing it. Maybe for the steps you mentioned outside, try putting a different toy or something similar on each step so he has to stop and give it a sniff.

I think your idea about obstacles on the stairs might be a good idea, I'll try the toy idea, but that means going out to put toys outside before he gets out. (Then taking them back in or they'll get wet from dew or rain). I may try even plants on the sides of the stairs so he stops to look at those or thinks twice. Thanks for the tip. I'll try it today.
yogismom

Post by yogismom »

Horace's Mum wrote:Don't bother with telling him "no" - he doesn't know what it means, and you are doing much better already by giving him the down command and then rewarding him when he does come down. And please don't lift him off - you might well end up teaching him to be defensive which would be a terrible shame when you have done so well. Even though he is small you are far better teaching him to respond to your voice commands and hand signals than resorting to picking him up to move him - he may be acting like a cat but he is still a dog and prefers to be asked not just moved!
We don't say, no, but try the down command. But you're suggesting the treat to come down might be influencing him to get up there in the first place? Interesting. I'll keep trying with the down command but not the reward but praise should be okay right?
It sounds like you have done such a good job with him that he is a very confident little fellow! When he climbs, is it to see out of windows or anything?

No, that's what's odd about it, the sofa sectional is far from windows or anything interesting to see.
If it doesn't give him a viewpoint, then maybe he does just like exploring, and you have the choice of very consistently asking him to come down and making a big fuss of him on the floor in the hope that he might eventually give it up, or prevent him doing it by blocking the chairs somehow - if it is a dining chair for example then push it under the table so he can't get up.
The dining chairs we have now made sure are always pushed under and that did stop him from getting to the top of the dining chairs. It's crazy that he can do it. He's so agile I'd love to get him some agility/obstacle training in the future and maybe set up something safe like a doggie balance beam or wood plank (a few inches off the ground). I just don't want to reinforce the behavior of balancing in the house on all these crazy things, so have hesitated.

He is so interested in learning new things. Every day we have set times where we work on things he's learned and he puts himself in a sit position, and tilts his head as if to say, "teach me something new, Mom!"

Also you may be right about the stairs, it's just easier to jump... it still worries me, but so far no harm done. He won't do it on our basement stairs, he walks carefully down to the basement. Thanks for the tips.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

yogismom wrote:
Horace's Mum wrote:Don't bother with telling him "no" - he doesn't know what it means, and you are doing much better already by giving him the down command and then rewarding him when he does come down. And please don't lift him off - you might well end up teaching him to be defensive which would be a terrible shame when you have done so well. Even though he is small you are far better teaching him to respond to your voice commands and hand signals than resorting to picking him up to move him - he may be acting like a cat but he is still a dog and prefers to be asked not just moved!
We don't say, no, but try the down command. But you're suggesting the treat to come down might be influencing him to get up there in the first place? Interesting. I'll keep trying with the down command but not the reward but praise should be okay right?
No, I didn't mean that, I just disagreed with what the previous poster had said about saying no and lifting him down. You are doing a much better job, I didn't want you to take this advice and mess it up :D You are doing fine, keep doing what you are doing, use treats as the reward for now (as long as it is a case of he gets down and then the treat arrives, try not to fall into the bribery trap of showing him the treat in order to get him down) but you can gradually either ask more of him before he gets the treat (so ask him down, and then ask for a trick before he earns the treat) or see if he will accept just verbal or physical praise from time to time.
bikersblu

Post by bikersblu »

Ok so my advice before wasnt very good sorry about that!

But yes the step thing may work with plants. The only concern I had was that what if he were to jump one day but land a bit wrong :?

But Horace's Mum has given you a lot of good ideas :) I myself have been a bit wrong as I use the no command and Leo knows what it means :lol: but I do use "leave it" and "down" he's such a quick and crafty little guy sometimes it catches me off guard and I do say no and it stops him :oops: but after reading all this good advice Ive been more careful and always checking temptaions are out the way

You say he climbs onto the back of the sofa for no reason or maybe to explore? have you tried playing with him on the floor or having some stimulating toys on the floor as maybe this will show him its a lot more fun down there than it is up there! :lol:
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

No problem, don't worry, we just have to be careful what advice we give on here so as not to cause harm, and the way you deal with your dog can lead to defensive aggression - many dogs do not like being picked up in that way. As the owner of a dog who used to be grabbed all the time to move him and learnt to bite, a lot, even when he just thought you were going to touch his collar, I realised quite quickly that it is far better to learn to communicate and ask my dog to move than try to make him and get hurt. You also get a much better relationship with your dog doing it that way.

And I'm afraid dogs don't understand NO unless it is taught in a specific situation for a specific command, they often react to it because of the tone of voice that goes with it rather than the command. They understand being given a direction far better than being told what NOT to do, so have a go at changing the way you communicate and see what happens. :)
bikersblu

Post by bikersblu »

I have already started with different commands lol...so lets hope to see some improvement soon

All I can say now is good luck yogismom :D
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Have you thought about putting your Pom into agility training when he gets older? My chi-poo acted just like you've described as puppy and enrolling her later in agility lessons has given her a positive outlet for her high prey drive and boredom. If he's had all his vaccinations, then he should be ready for a puppy kindergarten class which will help him socialize with more people, pets and new situations. Obedience classes are the primer for agility classes, especially a reliable recall.

You start agility training now by getting him acquainted to new surfaces by putting a ladder or PVC pipe on the ground. Go to a children toy store and get a cheap tunnel and train him to go through it. Once you're puppy has mastered these skills, add a verbal cues. Hopefully, the puppy will have learned that he can only climb or enter things at your command. If you are interested in agility, please read "Introduction to Dog Agility" by Margaret H. Bonham, which using positive training.
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Here is a page I found about puppy agility, which recommends similar stuff to the book I recommended.
yogismom

Post by yogismom »

I'm definitely interested in agility because it seems like it's something he's extremely interested in. For a five-month old puppy he sure is agile. Most puppies I've seen at that age are rather clumsy. He balances on the back of chairs and couches and prances around like a horse sometimes moving each foot individually. He's definitely agile. I've gotten a book already and am reading up on it. He's only five months and sometimes I'm afraid I'm overwhelming him with learning so many things so fast. For instance, we went from "sit" to "down" and he got pretty confused for a while. I'd say "sit" and he'd lay down. I'd say "down" and he'd lay down. I would like to finish with the basic important stuff like "drop it" before moving on to new tricks. Is it possible to teach too much too fast? Right now the down command is working well...that is, he's getting down from the back of the couch, but that's not stopping him from getting up there in the first place. I'm at a loss as to how to get him to understand I don't want him up there at all. Any ideas at how I show my disapproval without punishing or startling him while he's up so high?

Oh, one more question. Our house is pretty much puppy-proofed and my 20-year-old son's room is off limits, with the door closed usually. However, today he managed to get a cough drop that he probably found on my son's floor and the wrapper off before we caught him. This happened within about 30 seconds. He's never left alone. He would NOT leave it and we literally pried it from his jaws to get it out. I was very upset. He was not very happy about it and started to growl, a behavior I haven't seen him express yet. I can't blame him, I wouldn't want someone prying something out of my mouth either, but I could not take the chance he'd eat it or choke on it or get ill from the medicine. I could not get him to "leave it" or "drop it" and I felt it was dangerous. Any suggestions besides the obvious-- not having cough drops on the floor? (Believe me my son got an earful).
bikersblu

Post by bikersblu »

I have the same problem yogismom...Leo being a pup at 9 weeks when I got him, if it fitted in his mouth he claimed it :lol: we often had to take it off him and with him having staffy jaws he'd lock his jaws so he wouldnt have to part with it (needless to say we always won) but we would always tell him to drop it. Now he reponds to "Leave it" quite well...except for the odd occasion when he's determined to have it. he's still got a way to go but is learning still everyday.

He's being a typical puppy but the experts will give you great advice to catch it on the quick :)
bikersblu

Post by bikersblu »

Oh and I just noticed you asked how to stop him jumping up in the first place? I wonder if the "Stop" command would work if you see him attemping to jump?
yogismom

Post by yogismom »

bikersblu wrote:
Oh and I just noticed you asked how to stop him jumping up in the first place? I wonder if the "Stop" command would work if you see him attemping to jump?
It doesn't, he doesn't understand stop... he'll hesitate from the tone of my voice for about a millisecond but no, he doesn't stop. Down, he gets...yes, I must get down...but no I must not get up here doesn't seem to have sunk in. I do say "ah-ah-ah" when he gets up there, and then followed by down...and he'll get down (but then back up). Maybe it's just constant monitoring and repeating until he gets it. I'm new to this, and having fun with it, but at the same time there are days when I feel like I am failing miserably, and days I feel like wow, he's amazing.