Nervous dog

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Styl

Nervous dog

Post by Styl »

Hello everybody,
My dog is a male Siberian Husky; he is about 3 years old. He constantly tries to mark his territory by urinating. The problem is that he is too posessive and insecure from times to times. When i walk with him and another dog is present, he immediatly urinates at the nearest bush. He is sometimes hostile to guests. If you know something that can help me or been through a similar case, pls help me. Thanks in advance
Be well
Mattie

Re: Nervous dog

Post by Mattie »

Welcome to the forum. Can you give tell us his usual day including when fed, what he is fed, how much exercise and what type, how much training etc. The more information you give the better idea we will have.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Pawzk9

Re: Nervous dog

Post by Pawzk9 »

A lot of male dogs mark. (Is he intact?) I teach my dog to eliminate on cue when we are out and about, which prevents marking in the neighbor's prized azaleas, on car tires, and other places it would be rude to allow my dog to lift his leg. It's likely that all this has to do with the insecurity, reactivity is that maybe you need to let your dog know that you will be there for him, and keept things safe. Part of being able to do that is being a good leader (not the stuff you have probably heard referred to as "alpha".) But set rules and boundaries, and be confident in situations. Also be aware enough of your surroundings that you don't set your dog up to fail. A good first book to read would be "Click to Calm" by Emma Parsons. A good second book would be "Control Unleashed" by Leslie McDevitt (I say that one second because it pretty much assumes you are going to understand a lot t hat is in the first book mentioned. Patricia McConnell's "Feisty Fido" also has some good ideas. Even better, find a good positive reinforcement based trainer in your area and get the dog in class. If he's too reactive to other dogs, you may need some private help to begin with.
Sandy in OK
www.positivelycanine.com