Housebreaking Blues

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Calin

Housebreaking Blues

Post by Calin »

Well, today we have a pretty bad thunderstorm in our area and it scared the bejesus out of my little girl. Early this morning, Maddie refused to come out of her crate for her morning pee. She refused to eat her breakfast after that and I had to feed her later in the day. This threw her ENTIRE schedule off. The end result? We've had 5 accidents today. That's more that's she had the entire past week!

I'm so depressed. :cry:

How can I get her back on track?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Try as much as you can to keep the pressure OFF her - its really really hard as its so tempting to console her and comfort her and tell her the scary sky monsters arent going to get her....

But long term that will make things worse, so behave as normal, offer her her meals at normal times, offer opportunities outside at normal times, if she doesnt want to go, then dont push her as if you do it will just make the whole experience more stressful.

I would feed a little less, and up the value of the treats, something really stinky and delicious, thats better encouragement than talking to her or asking her or taking her anywhere.

Up the volume of your stereo slightly, and just act all 'jolly' - everything is fine.

When shes a bit hungry, everyones behaving normally and there are multiple opportunities for tasty treats to be had, she will come out of her shell.