Rescue Ridgie

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

katowaggytail

Rescue Ridgie

Post by katowaggytail »

Hi, I'm very new to all this!
I have a rescue ridgeback who is 4 years old in October. He has settled in very well and we are now getting spontanous tail wags at last and he is really good in the house.
He is ok with small dogs, but has developed a lunge/bark at dogs springer spaniel size and upwards. It's not an agressive toned bark and his tail is going at the same time. I have a halti and am being tough again with my "no s". I'm seeking any further advice/help on the matter. We are down to start training classes in 3 weeks. I have a gut feeling that he is actually scared stiff and is unsure how to cope or meet with larger dogs that he perceives as a threat to me. He was bought up with his brother and now he is a single dog, he spent 6mths+ in kennels and I have had him for 6months.
I would be grateful for any futher advice/thoughts on the matter.
Calin

Post by Calin »

Are you sure he's not trying to play with the other dog? From what I've read the wagging tail/non aggressive bark combo is dogspeak for, "Let's play a game!"

Does your dog ever do that little thing where he sorta bows his head and then barks?
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Hi, nope It's more of a "I could muller you if I wasn;t scared enough, and if you have a go back I'll run a mile" sort of attitude. Bit of a hoodie really. Trouble is he's 8st and I dont want the reuptaiton of being a nasty dog when he isnt. Tough one.