training dog and using clicker

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dixie's mom

training dog and using clicker

Post by dixie's mom »

I am thinking about getting a clicker for training my chi, I have heard from someone that it is very effective ! How does it work in training and is there a book or something , just have never used one and want to get my chi under control !
Pawzk9

Re: training dog and using clicker

Post by Pawzk9 »

A really simple and basic read is Karen Pryor's "Clicker Training for Dogs - Getting Started." Basically the click tells your dogs two things 1) I like what you are doing right now - think of it as taking a picture of the behavior you want - and 2) I am about to reward you for doing that! So, it's important that you practice (without your dog) so you can click at the right time and it's important that a click is always followed by something the dog wants - even if you accidently clicked. Rewards can be food, treats, a toy, a ball, a walk, a belly rub. Make a list of things your dog really likes.
Start in an area with no distractions. Many people charge the clicker which is just clicking and treating several times until the dog connects the two. I like to start the dog also realizing that it's something HE does which makes the click happen. I start with the "name game" Say dog's name and wait for him to look at you (or possibly just twitch an ear in your direction to start with) When he acknowledges it, click and give a treat. Don't repeat his name, and don't show him the treat to get his attention. Let it be his idea.
Some dogs (especially the little guys) may be bothered by the sound at first. If you can get an i-click, they are softer and you can bury it in your hand. Or click a retractible ball point pen, or the pop up on top of a baby food jar. Or click with your tongue. Don't aim the clicker at your dog or click it is his ear. Good luck, I think you'll find it is a lot of fun. Also, under articles on this forum, there's a long discussion of clicker training. Also you might want to prowl around Karen Pryor's site: clickertraining.com Lots of good articles and equipment (including i-clicks) available.
Sandy in OK
www.positivelycanine.com
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Just to add: the clickertraining.com website requires registering, but it's free and you get access to hundreds of great articles, from really basic commands to tricks.

You could also go on youtube and search out "clicker training" so you can see people use it.

Once you get the hang of the basics, a great thing you can do with clicker training is called "free shaping". It means you wait for your dog to do something and then click/treat. Here's a post by whenhoundsfly with a link to a video of him free-shaping his dog to jump into a box. I used free-shaping to get Murphy to put a toy into a box, it only took 4 or 5 days (5-minute sessions).

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5089&p=32693
Pawzk9

Post by Pawzk9 »

Noobs wrote:Just to add: the clickertraining.com website requires registering, but it's free and you get access to hundreds of great articles, from really basic commands to tricks.
Much of it doesn't require registering, but there's more available if you register.
Sandy in OK
www.positivelycanine.com
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Ah, I stand corrected. Thanks, Pawz! (The last time I was there and asked to register I must have been trying to read a restricted article.)