No treat training

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

redwtblue

No treat training

Post by redwtblue »

I am really frustrated with my Yorkie. She is 5 months old and I am having trouble training her to sit, come etc. She will not take any treats. Up until she was about 3 months old she seemed to be doing fine. Then almost overnight she changed. She went through a personality change. All of a sudden she acted like she didn't even know me. Stopped taking any treats, slept alot and really didn't play much, and acted like she could care less. She has gotten much better over time. She no longer shakes, and does play like a puppy should. She is responding some to me now.
I am wondering how do I train her if she will not take treats. I have tried all the tricks, scenting them with garlic, bacon, giving her meats, veggies, and multiple dog treats. She turns her nose to them or acts like she doesn't care. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Calin

Post by Calin »

My puppy wasn't interested in treats at first, either. Then, I cut back on how much I was feeding her and she magically seemed to get interested!

Also, I don't bother to train her directly after she's eaten. I either train her before I feed her or a couple of hours after she's eaten. If she's a little hungry, she'll be more focused on what's in your hand.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Train before meal times, cut down on the food if you think she could possibly be getting too much, it will do no harm to even half her food intake from a bowl and give her the rest as treats earned for working for you.
redwtblue

No treat training

Post by redwtblue »

My Yorkie weighs 3 # and is healthy but only eats one meal a day and that is at 6 am in the morning while I am showering. She may eat a few bites in the evening and I have tried to train her before she would eat that but she won't. She will go without eating then and wait til morning. Can someone possibly come up with another alternative to training before she eats. I really cannot train at 5:30 am.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Yes. Feed her at 9am instead, train before that, or feed half her food and train later on in the day with the rest of it.