dog next door in heat

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dixie's mom

dog next door in heat

Post by dixie's mom »

We have a Lab that is male and every time the female next door goes into heat , it drives him crazy, he has sadly mated with her once . Anyway for weeks he went after our other male puppy for some reason , but seems fine now ! any way to maybe calm that down next time ?
Nettle

Re: dog next door in heat

Post by Nettle »

What do you mean by he went after your other male puppy? How old are your dogs? What is their routine? The more we know, the more we can help.

Are you on good terms with your neighbours? Do you know if they intend to keep the ***** whole or spay her or breed from her? What happened after he mated with her - did they have her litter aborted or did she have the pups? How did he get to her?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
dixie's mom

Post by dixie's mom »

Harley, our lab kept jumping the fence when their dog was in heat or she would come over and visit him! Anyway it got to where we had to build a higher fence ! Harley is a little older , but our puppy was born on feb 2 so we got him around that time ! They haven't spayed their dog yet , and i think each time that she goes into heat it drives Harley crazy!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It will do - labradors are very highly sexed dogs.

You have raised the fence, so they can't get to each other - that's good.

Now then - I need the answers to my other questions. I need to know what exactly happened between H and the puppy, and what H's routine is. It may be between us on the Board and you, we can improve things. How much exercise does he get and when, what is he fed and when, what training do you do with him, what other stuff do you do with him?

Also can you have pleasant non-critical dialogue with your neighbours and find out what their plans are for the b itch, so you both can manage the situation?

H will need to be kept busy, hungry and tired while the b itch is on heat. It won't stop him getting excited but it will make him more managable.

dixie's mom

Post by dixie's mom »

Harley loves to play ball alot so we try to throw him a ball, he is my nephew's dog so he isn't really on a schedule ! He eats OLe roy dog food , he will run along the fence when a car or someone pulls up or leaves ! He does love to do that alot !
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I still need the rest of the information:

When is he walked and for how long, what other training does he have, when is he fed, what is it he did to your other dog, what does your nephew do with him, we NEED to know these things if we are to help you, I'm not just asking them for fun.

What is his typical day?