no confidence yet lots of confidence

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

globe

no confidence yet lots of confidence

Post by globe »

my dog zoe (4 yr old am bulldog mix) is a wimp. She gets scared quite easily. For example when going for a walk the other day a car ran over a kerb by mistake, rest of the walk she had her tail between her legs and kept looking around in a very nervous manner. Couldn't shake her out of that mode until we got home. Down the park with outher dogs heckles aways go up and tail goes between legs and it is very rare that she get all "waggy tailed" as most other dogs seem to. She sticks to the outside of groups most of the time - which is fine by me.

However, she is also very confident when it comes to things like food and possesions. For example the other day the builder was installing some wool wall insulation which she was chewing. Cat was lying near this and stretched meaning she touched the insuation, dog went for cat. Down the park dog playing with stick other dog comes over teeth bared and growling.

My concern is that this mix to me (and this is my first dog) would appear to on the road for trouble. i.e. nervous dog may bite soembody or something one day due to fear.

Any comments / thoughts ?

thanks
emmabeth

Re: no confidence yet lots of confidence

Post by emmabeth »

Defending her stuff isnt confidence it is another sign thats shes anxious/fearful.. in this case of losing what she views as hers.

I wouldnt panic but its good that you have identified that she is anxious and worried.

I would not take her to parks where she is in close contact with other dogs - she isnt enjoying it anyway, so take her to places with fewer dogs or at times when there are less dogs about.

For now also try to avoid walks that have a lot of traffic, again different routes or different times of day may be necessary.

On your adapted trips out, take plenty of her favourite treats, toys.. whatever really floats her boat and spend time working with her, whatever she finds easiest really so she can find the experience rewarding. If you get into a sticky situation, take evasive action and try to get back to a 'this is really rewarding' state as soon as possible.

Avoiding these things wont make her more fearful as long as you are working on it, pairing icky things with good stuff. If you find she wont take treats and normally will at home, then thats a good indicator that shes too stressed and you need to back further off.

Have a look at the clicker training thread in the Articles section as working with the clicker can really improve confidence and the bond between you.

Gradually you should be able to build up to heavier traffic or busier parks, but take it slowly!

As far as guarding things she has.. you can make her safer by teaching her to swap and to leave things using treats and toys, and if she has issues with people close by when shes got a treat or food its possible to recondition that too (though you don't mention if this is a problem),.

As far as other animals go.. thats a bit harder, improving her overall confidence and reducing her anxiety ought to fix this to some extent, with you managing the situations shes in carefully so shes not likely to have something worthy of guarding when another animal is around.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Noobs

Re: no confidence yet lots of confidence

Post by Noobs »

My dog is also very sensitive to loud or sudden noises, and sometimes if something happens he can't relax until we're back home, too. I would suggest doing T-Touch to help your dog de-stress. Massaging my dog relaxes him AND me! I've been working with him on reactivity for over a year and I combined that training with massages and he really loves it. He lies perfectly still and he tolerates being handled for several minutes without getting fidgety.

http://www.ttouch.com/shop/index.php?productID=171