My two dogs have started fighting with each other

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

LorranC

My two dogs have started fighting with each other

Post by LorranC »

We have two rescue Malamutes. Our first one is a very dominant and territorial female. She is used to other dogs in her 60X60 dog pen but not inside. Our newest dog is male. He was abandoned at his owners property when the owner moved so he has major trust issues that we are working on. The two are fine outside and enjoy playing together but when they come inside, the female is very aggressive towards the male. This does not happen all the time and usually without any provocation from the male. The last fight was bad enough that she bit off the tip of his ear. They are still best of buds outside. We are doing our best to give both attention and to let the female know that he is not a threat to her. We have started leashing her when they come inside and if she shows any aggression towards him, we put a muzzle on her. When she calms down, the muzzle comes off. During this, she is usually laying on the sofa between my husband and myself and he is wandering around the house. I have read that this is something that may never be corrected but if anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated. Both of these dogs have been tossed around from owner to owner and we want to have them feel safe and wanted in our home. They are now in their forever home and my husband and I will not give up on them even if this is something that can not be corrected.
LorranC

Re: My two dogs have started fighting with each other

Post by LorranC »

I don't know if this is an unusual problem but someone out there must have a suggestion. Please, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Hi, I just saw this; sorry I've been busy the last couple of days and have not got on until now. I have experienced your situation, and have overcome it, so I do have some advice for you. However, this is what I'm going to do: I'm going to draft up an article in my word processing program, and then import it into the "Training Articles" section of the forum, so I can finally have it down once and for all (I'm kind of burned out with repeating myself, you understand). So... Do Not Despair, help is on the way. Just give me a little bit. :wink:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Thanks Fundog! Looking forward to reading that
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Okay, here's the link to the article I've just written and posted:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6103
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.