two males

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dixie's mom

two males

Post by dixie's mom »

We have two males that are " humping " and they are seeming to go crazy at it ! Should i leave my chi outside ? She is fixed !
Sweetie0202

Re: two males

Post by Sweetie0202 »

dixie's mom wrote:We have two males that are " humping " and they are seeming to go crazy at it ! Should i leave my chi outside ? She is fixed !

I have a friend who has two males and they hump one another. But i do tell my friend to get the one who is doing the humping fixed, and try to keep them from one another each time they go to do it. Reason i say that is because some dogs will get upset and it will turn into a dog fight which is not good. And if you have your other dog they may turn on her if she were to get in the way. Are both of them fixed? If not that's where i would start, and keep them from one another each time they go to hump the other.

Good Luck!
Image Image
emmabeth

Re: two males

Post by emmabeth »

Neutering may not fix humping as it is not always directly about reproduction!

Its often about stress, desire to control things without the ability/knowledge how to do this in any other way.. insecurity and anxiety can play a part too.

I would discourage dogs from doing this to one another and look at the reasons why they are doing this, it may be that they are getting too giddy through boredom/lack of mental/physical exercise.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant