Chasing Behaviour

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Jessirue

Chasing Behaviour

Post by Jessirue »

I have four adult dogs and three pups, two of which are going to their new homes in 3 weeks and one I am keeping. They are all Irish Setters apart from my eldest, a Golden Retriever.

I am posting to ask advice about the behaviour of Rue, my four year old entire Irish boy on walks. he loooves to chase other dogs. He doesn't want to hurt them or fight, he just loves to chase and be chased. He woofs with excitement as he chases. He has a good recall usually but when he is chasing, not so good. This isn't a problem if he meets another dog who also enjoys the chasing game but sometimes we meet a dog who is afraid and is running away thinking he is attacking them. This is very embarrassing and I feel bad for the poor dog who is scared but I don't want to confine my Rue to a lead. Should I get Rue on a lead every time we see a dog coming until I have checked with the owner his dog won't mind being chased? I'm concerned this will give Rue the wrong message. Also, it's a case of spotting the dog before Rue does so I can get him back.

I tried line training him every day for about 2-3 weeks last summer to try to get a really strong recall but progress was very slow as he is not a foody dog and very easily distracted. It was hard work as I had to take him out alone leaving my other dogs at home and walk them separately so I am ashamed to admit I gave up. I suppose I should just try again with it but if anyone has another idea that would be great.
The key is not forced control over the dog but .....the dog learning control of self
Mattie

Re: Chasing Behaviour

Post by Mattie »

My little man Joe was terrified when dogs approached him, he would go into a panic attack and have a seizure later in the day, if you let your dog run up to mine you would be told in very plain English what I thought of that and to get your dog under control.

You don't know if that other dog has been attacked previously by a dog running up to him, your's is a big dog which makes it worse. You need to make sure he is under control or keep him on a lead. It takes more than 2 - 3 weeks to teach a good recall, it can take several years of consistant work so to expect him to have a good recall in that time, especially as you allow him to chase other dogs, is unreasonable.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

You should go back to the long line training.

Also yes, it is common courtesy to recall your dog and either have him under close control or pop a lead on, when approaching other dogs. You can then ask if its ok for him to play if you meet the owner.

I know you dont want to curtail Rue's fun but.. so far I think you have been pretty lucky - I have a dog here who wouldnt necessarily be on a lead, even though he is at times dog aggressive. He is under close control and wont give up playing fetch with his ball to see another dog.... unless that dog harrasses him, chases and bullies him. Then he would 'kick its ***'. (I say hes dog aggressive tbh he ISNT.. but OTHER owners dislike how he reacts to their rude dogs so I am very careful not to allow him to react unless he has to).

That you havent come across a dog like Rocky yet is just luck... and I would hazard a guess you wouldnt be too happy if Rue was leapt on by another dog and told off, or chased across a road, or learned to become dog aggressive after one too many incidences with truely aggressive dogs..

So the best thing is improve his recall, use the long line and a harness, teach him that he recalls before he gets released to play with anyone which gives you the chance to find out if the other dog will appreciate being chased.

I do feel for you, dont let my example of ROckys behaviour make you think I am not sympathetic - I have an old saluki ***** here whos most favourite game is to chase other dogs and if they are scared well she likes that even better because shes an old bully! If they stand their ground and tell her to get lost shes fine and does so, but thats no consolation to the owner whose dog is cowering in a heap with my dog bouncing round it, barking and grring every time the poor dog dares move (never happened to someone elses dog though only my own dogs!). She is so awful and we have never managed to dissuade her from this, that we cannot walk her with one of my dogs because she bullies him so badly he either runs home or spends the walk glued to my leg which is no fun at all for him!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yep, get him on-lead. You can see further than him, so you keep a good lookout (no mobile phone, no music, no gossiping) get him on-lead and when you are close enough, you ask the owner of the other dog if it is all right for them to play chase. Any place you can't see ahead, blind corner etc, get him on-lead. It actually improves recall if the dog knows he will be let off again after a short spell on-lead.

I am plagued with dogs attacking mine - owners think 'they want to play' but it isn't play at all.

The other dog might have fear issues, be undergoing training, be ill, pregnant, recovering from surgery, might be a fighter - so many things. It's good manners and good dogmanship always to check first if it's okay for them to run. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Jessirue

Post by Jessirue »

I know, I know and I do feel guily. It is very rude behaviour. If a dog doesn't run away, he'll just have a circling sniff like they do and move on but it's if they run - he assumes they want to play chase and to be fair, most of them do. Its just the odd dog that is scared but as you say it could be a pregnant ***** or something. I shouldn't let him do it. I'll try the line training again when it dries up a bit, as it's a nightmare in the mud. In the meantime I'll take him to the country where we don't often see another dog. I have a ***** who is dog aggressive (a bully) so she has to stay on the lead usually. I have to walk her separately so she doesn't teach my younger dogs to bully as she will have a go even on the lead. She never does it to confident looking dogs though! Thanks for the advice although I pretty much knew what would be said.. I think I just needed a bit of encouragement. Line training is a nightmare!
The key is not forced control over the dog but .....the dog learning control of self