Dog attacks me when I yell at my children

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Joeyboy

Dog attacks me when I yell at my children

Post by Joeyboy »

Hi Victoria.
My name is Jeannemarie. I have a 4yr old black lab. He's a wonderful pet and a great friend. Each time a discipline my daughters, Joey attacks me. Even if I hug my daughter he becomes very aggressive. Recently, I was screaming at my daughter and stood up and Joey attacked me and ripped a hole in the side of my stomach. My daughter grabbed him and put him in the bathroom. I couldnt even go in the bathroom to get peroxide/bandages. My daughter had to. I love Joey but this must stop. He is overly protective of children. Even when another child comes in the house and i hug them he growls. I've never ever lifted a hand to either of my daughters but I have screamed at them. Please help me. I don't know how to correct this nor do I know where this originated from. I've had him since he was 10 weeks old and have never displayed any type of violence. Where is this coming from?????

Please help... Thank you,
Jeannemarie
Mattie

Re: Dog attacks me when I yell at my children

Post by Mattie »

The short answer is stop screaming at your children, it doesn't work, children learn to turn off when you scream at them. All you are doing when you scream is letting out your frustration, you shouldn't get to this stage. Positive training also works with children just as well as it does with dogs,Image

I have 3 sons, I found positive training worked a lot better with them than anything else, your dog could think that you are going to hurt your children when screaming at them, he doesn't know that you won't, he doesn't understand that it is your frustration that is coming out. Even when we hug each other it could look like we are attacking the other person. When I had a dog like this I would call my dog when I wanted to hug one of my children, and give her a hug as well as my child, she loved it. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
bordercollielover

Re: Dog attacks me when I yell at my children

Post by bordercollielover »

Even when we hug each other it could look like we are attacking the other person. When I had a dog like this I would call my dog when I wanted to hug one of my children, and give her a hug as well as my child, she loved it. :lol:[/quote]
My wife and I have a 3 yr old female border collie and starts barking and carrying on when my wife hugs me and to get her to stop and be calm i just snap my fingers and tell her its okay. After,we both give her some attention,she seems to act like hey don't leave me out of this hugging party.lol