Jack Russell poohing in the house straight after coming in

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

trickytroggle

Jack Russell poohing in the house straight after coming in

Post by trickytroggle »

Hi
we have a jack russell (2 years old)
we take him into the garden in the morning and he does a wee, comes in and does a pooh inside almost straight away.
He is clean overnight and sleeps in his little crate in the utility
He has not been 'done@ (is the official word castrated?)
H E L P
Thanks
leigh

Post by leigh »

hi Tricky. Do you have a backyard that you can leave him out in? He may just need longer to do his business. My dogs can sniff around for a good 15 minutes sometimes until they find a good spot to poop on!

Another way to make them go in the mornings I've found is to take them for a walk - walking seems to make them automatically need to poop! Can you get up half an hour earlier and take them for a walk - and is there anywhere you can let them go off lead (mine prefer to do their business off lead) - but make sure you always carry doggy poop bags!!! (I have to carry 3!!!)

if he doesn't go on the walk, leave him outside a little longer before you go inside, and see if he goes then.

OR, once you've been outside and then gone inside, keep a close eye on him. Watch out for his signals that he's going to poop - sniffing the ground, walking in circles, looking for the perfect spot to go - and then getting in position to go! As soon as you see these signs, tell him his command to "go potty" or whatever (ours is just "do a wee" - for wees AND poops!), and take him outside and wait......... if he doesn't go then, then go inside and do it again. It may take time.

As soon as he poops outside, praise him a LOT (I still praise my little 1 year old, and she's been housetrained for 6 months now!) - and even give treats for going outside.

If you catch him about to go, you can distract him with a loud bang - I used to just slap my hand on the table, or clap my hands, and it would startle Bella enough to look up and stop what she's doing - and then I'd immediately take her outside and tell her to go.

Patience and persistance!!! and good luck, let us know how you go!
leigh

Post by leigh »

one other thing - I'm not sure what your living situation is like - if you're in an apartment (i hope not with a jack russell! LOL) or if you have a garden that is yours or not..

something that I read when I was trying to teach bella to poop outside was when she did go inside, I took it outside and washed it into the grass, so that her scent was where I wanted her to go, and she could recognise it as a bathroom area. I then took her to this spot when we went outside to go........ she now has a few spots that she uses, but this area is the most used spot.

You don't want to have poop piling up, but I found it helped to leave a little bit there until she got the hang of it.