Biting on the lead.

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sez88

Biting on the lead.

Post by sez88 »

Hi :)
Everything is going well with Our pup Charlie atm, his loose leash walking is improving slowly, his mouthing has decreased alot,his recall is getting better, he is going all night without peeing (and barks in the morning to wake us if he reeeaaally needs to go!) which is great :D but one thing is really bugging me and i cant seem to work it out. :?

When on a walk Charlie sometimes bites or rather tugs on his lead. He only does it at the beginning and near the end of his walk and its only sometimes and mostly with me and not my OH.
Charlie is 4months now and being a collie cross lab is already getting pretty big-and strong! When he tugs on his lead he gradually jumps higher and comes very close to my hand-he has nipped me a couple of times.
We are working on drop it but we arent quite there yet so that wont work at the moment, I have tried just dropping the lead and walking away until he is calm again which works sometimes but isnt always appropriate due to safety, I have also tried holding a treat in front of his nose then rewarding him when he drops it but he sometimes eats the treat and then tugs the lead again straight away and im a little concerned he will start to offer the lead tugging behaviour in order to get a treat.
Another thing we have tried is the no chew spray but he didnt seemed phased by it.

As I said we are working on 'drop it' but we need a short term solution for right now. What do you guys reccomend we do :?:

Thanks
Enjoying life with our pup charlie...he had us at 'woof'!
Horace's Mum

Re: Biting on the lead.

Post by Horace's Mum »

Quickest and easiest way to stop it is to use a chain lead for a while, at least until he grows out of the need to bite and grows up a bit!
Sweetie0202

Post by Sweetie0202 »

Hello,

Have you tried the leave it command? If not that's where i would start. Say leave it and when he does reward him for doing so. Or you could also try each time he goes to bite at the lead stop and put him into a sit command, again reward him for doing what you have asked.

I hope this is of some help and good luck.
Image Image
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Chain lead worked wonders for mine. Bruiser ate through 2 leads before we got the chain lead. The day we got it, he tried to chew it once and decided he didn't care for it so stopped trying.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Give him a toy to carry at the beginning and end of walks.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Also, wear gloves and put your hand holding the lead in your pocket so that on the off chance he jumps and nips he wont hurt you so wont make you squeak... which is fun for him!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
sez88

Post by sez88 »

Thanks for all the advice. Just been out for a walk with Charlie and he was brilliant!!
He walked perfectly on a loose leash for the entire time he was on it which is unheard of for him, he came EVERY time he was called and didnt bite on the lead once!! :D
AMAZING! Of course he got loads of clicks and treats and even when I ran out of treats he still walked beside me content with praise.
He was sick not long before we went out, so it could just be that he didnt have the energy to pull and bite too much but for now im just going to put it down to him listening to me :)
I will still try all your tricks tho just in case :P
Will have to wait and see what he is like on our walk later.
Enjoying life with our pup charlie...he had us at 'woof'!