Trouble With Clicker Training

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

mustlovdoggs

Trouble With Clicker Training

Post by mustlovdoggs »

Hello again, I have got a problem with Spencer, my 9yr old King Charles/Cocker mix. He is scared of the clicker.I knew that I may have a problem with him because he has always been scared of a poping noises. something happened to him as a puppy. I don't really have to clicker train him but, I'd like to clicker train Tristan. He is the one that needs it. Spencer is one of those boring dog, he doesn't do anything wrong. Just a great dog. Tristan on the other hand, is a barker, head strong and will not listen to me. That is why he needs the clicker. I took Spencer out of the room, covered it with cloth and put it in my pocket. He still could hear it. Later I tried to charge the clicker with Spencer, Thinking if he could get past the fear of it, then I could train Tristan. When I did the clicker I had it so covered up with a cloth , alot of cloth.I hardly heard it, boy he did he took off running. :shock: :shock: What to do? :cry:Jan
I wished I was the person my dogs thinks I am.
emmabeth

Re: Trouble With Clicker Training

Post by emmabeth »

You neeeeed a clicker that doesnt click :)

You have to get a bit inventive though, some keyring item or childs toy that makes an easily repeatable noise at the press of a button. I think there MAY be a clicker that has several different noises.... I shall google/ask around for this for you.

Something that goes 'beep' might do it.. i cant quite think what at the moment though!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Emmabathm, You are to much :P Hey, I forgot, have to look back in post. One of the members has a dog that can not hear, she used a light. But I don't know if that would stop Tristan. Yea, forget that, he needs something that will make noise. Thanks you made me laugh until I was cryed.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Tsk, I am but a figure of fun to you all.... really *fakesulks*... :lol:

Right, for a 'clicker that doesnt click'..... try a novelty keyring, I fail to find a useful link but ebay ought provide you with these items. I believe their original purpose is to take the annoying sound effects from such games as Mario Bros.... and put them into a keyring so that small human persons can irritate a much larger audience, outside of their own homes!

Ok ... I also think it would be amusing to have a dog who worked for the sound of the 1-up or coin grab...

There seems to be lots of these sound effects keyrings around with either sounds from popular games or just silly cute noises - I would just pick one that a/you can replace the batteries in, b/ its easy to hit the right button and c/ doesnt recreate a sound your dog is likely to hear elsewhere.

If it fits those criteria you ought to be able to use that instead of a click. (Oh checking that it plays the sound the second you hit the button is also a good idea).

Horaces Mum teaches Horus with a light instead of a click sound because Horus is deaf but I think you are right that sound is the way to go... and if you can use sound its a lot easier.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

I really wouldn't advise using a light for a hearing dog because I don't think they would notice it nearly as much as a deaf dog (who are very tuned in to watching for small signals) and also because it is very restrictive in what you can do. If you get really desperate then you could try a vibrating collar, but I have no idea how a hearing dog would respond to it, they may be scared by the noise. You are much better off getting imaginative and going to all those silly shops that sell the keyrings like Em suggested, or looking around the house for a suitable noise. Try the toy shops, they should have some good noises. Or what about a bell of some kind? Like a portable doorbell? it might be a bit bigger, but you could operate it with your foot!
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

Emmabath, Hope you did not take it the wrong way, :oops: Its just I don't have to much to laugh at lately so the clicker thing with out the click was cute, :D Thank you, Horace's Mum I think the key chain may be the way to go. The door bell well,Tristan barks at the door bell on the tv and the barking is what I want to work on with him. Thanks to all of you for the info you have given me.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Heeee Im not offended - glad I made you laugh, everyone needs more laughter (or more sillyness...Im quite a big fan of sillyness!).

Go find some keyrings.... let us know what you get! Especially if its a funny sound! :lol:
sez88

Post by sez88 »

If it is an old style clicker (not the ones with the raised button) try putting a small piece of blue tack on the clicker, it muffles the sound, then you can gradually reduce the amount of blue tack as your dog gets used to the sound.
If you have a raised button clicker then I read somewhere that you can do the same thing by putting strips of tape under the button (on the underside of the clicker) then you can take strips of one at a time as the dog gets used to it.

You can buy clickers that you can adjust the volume on too...http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/item--M ... ick---dogs

Hope that helps :)
Enjoying life with our pup charlie...he had us at 'woof'!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

mustlovdoggs wrote:Emmabath, Hope you did not take it the wrong way, :oops: Its just I don't have to much to laugh at lately so the clicker thing with out the click was cute, :D

Image Mustlovdoggs :D Life isn't always very nice at times, hope things improve for you.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

Thank you Mattie, That was so nice I almost started to cry. But not sad cry. Its just nice to know that you all are out there. Before it was my dogs that klept me going now, I have you all. Thanks Jan ......SEZ88, I try that today maybe that will work. I'm also going to site you gave me. Thank you :D
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

I had a clicker that made a pretty loud click noise but lost it so I went to get another one at PetSmart. Well this one made a vey low and dull clicking noise, Cadence did not pay any attention to this new one so I had to find another. Since you're dog might be sensitive to the noise, this one may be a bit easier on its ears?

Here's the link incase you don't live near a PetSmart

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... B+Behavior
whenhoundsfly

Post by whenhoundsfly »

lots of good advice already, but may i suggest a specific product - the karen pryor i-click. It is one of the quietest clickers on the market. much quieter than the shoebox or dog bone style ones, or the fog horn of clickers, the starmark triple-crown.

also a verbal marker can be used, although it is less precise. i actually make click noises with my mouth when i find myself w/o a clicker.
Tailwags and Clicks,

http://www.whenhoundsfly.com