House/potty-training help

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

china_cat84

House/potty-training help

Post by china_cat84 »

Okay, I've decided to fully dedicate myself to house training this dog. I've got a schedule set up and I'm even rescheduling my normal behavior so that I can train Otis to go outside.

He will go out first thing in the morning at 8 am because I've noticed that he goes potty on my floor about 15 mins after I let him out of his room. He eats at 8:30 am and at 6:30 pm.

My first question is: How often should I take him out? He's 9 months old. On one of the episodes of It's Me or the Dog, Victoria made a schedule in which the dog went out every hour. On a different episode, the dog went out every 2 hours. So my only conclusion is that it's based on the dog's age? Otis should be able to hold it for a decent amount. He has managed to stay in his room all night and not have any accidents so I'm thinking every 2 to 3 hours - what do you guys think?

I've also noticed a weird issue with him - every time I go to eat something, about 5-10 mins after I start eating, he goes potty on the floor! No matter what - every time that he sees me eat. If someone else is eating, but not me, he doesn't do it. I can't figure it out because I don't eat at the same times everyday (which will probably change with the new schedule) but he still has the need to go. And most of the time when he goes while I'm eating, it's not a very large amount - just a tiny puddle of urine and maybe a small bit of poo. So, I'm concluding that he doesn't really NEED to pee or poo, he's doing it because I'm eating. But that just doesn't make sense. Oh, and when he goes while I'm eating, he always makes sure that he's in my sight of vision. Otherwise when he has accidents, he slinks down the hall and does it in private and waits for me to find it. How should I correct this? Today, I took him out at 4 pm and when we came back inside I had a small snack because I forgot to eat lunch. About 5 mins after I sat down with my food, he peed on the floor right in front of me and then he pooped as well! Right after he'd been outside for 15 minutes!

Also, if anyone has any tips for managing frustration, that would be fantastic. I'm incredibly frustrated with this dog today - he's had more destructive behavior today than he has in the last week! Now I'm really thinking that it will be Me or the Dog! I swear, it took all my willpower to keep from strangling him!

Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks!
Mattie

Re: House/potty-training help

Post by Mattie »

First thing to do is to open a bottle of wine and pour yourself a glass, you need to relax and chill. :D

As you have noticed times when he will toilet, take him out just before he does it. Always take him out so you can see if he goes and give lots and lots and lots of praise. Go over the top with the praise, make him feel like a king.

Take him outside as soon as he wakes up, during the day as well if he has a sleep.

Take him outside before and after he is fed, some prefer to to before some after, several of mine like to go both times.

Take him outside after a training or play session.

As he is 9 months old, I would take him outside every 45 minutes in between. Yes this time is related to the age of the dog, older dogs can go longer in between. Dogs can hold better over night because their body slows down like ours does.

Most important, be very very very very consistant, the more consistant you are the quicker he will learn.

Good luck. :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
china_cat84

Post by china_cat84 »

Thanks for the advice. I am MUCH calmer today.

I'm wondering - is it possible that he just doesn't WANT to potty outside in the cold? It's about -2C/28F here at the moment. Just took him out at 7:45, brought him back in and he proceeded to poo on the floor. We stood outside for 15 minutes. I think I've caught a cold from being out in the cold so much today. Why won't he just potty outside? I take him out every hour and I wait for 15 mins. So far, he's peed outside 2 times and pooped outside 2 times. He's pooped inside 2 times and peed inside 2 times. Every time that he's gone outside, I lavish him with praise and give him treats. Why oh why won't he go outside? Why does he have to potty right when he get through the door?

Should I maybe take him out for a few minutes, bring him back inside for a few minutes, and then back out?

UGH. :x
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Yes - go out.. come in. go out again!

The more you can get him to go outside even if its accidentally by 'tricking' him with the going out... coming in and going straight out again, the better. It forms a habit of going outside and the more consistant you can get this, the quicker he will stop going inside.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Don't worry about the cold. Minus 2 is nothing. He's a dog, and dogs are outdoor beasts even if we keep them indoors. keep a coat by the door with a hat in the pocket and grab it as you go outside. :wink:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
china_cat84

Post by china_cat84 »

Thanks for the help!

Ok - this is the progress so far: NOTHING.

I have:
1) Gone outside with Otis. Waited 10 mins. Brought him inside. Waited until he showed signs of needing to go (sniffing and circling). Then brought him back outside to the potty spot. Then going back inside and waiting. I did this so much that he actually just didn't go at all - inside or out. I put him in his room (the bathroom) and when I got up this morning, there were no accidents but as soon as I brought him out to hook him to his leash, he went on the carpet.

2) I've put his used wee pads outside where I want him to go. He did pee and poo twice where the pad is, 2 days ago, but now he won't do it. It's not like the pad or spot is dirty. It was only used 2 times before I put it there and when he peed on his outside, he missed entirely and peed on the snow.

3) I've brought his poo down and put it in the spot as well. Still nothing.

I'm beginning to think that I should just put wee pads down inside and wait until it's warmed up outside. Whenever we go outside, he runs around for a bit and after about 10 mins he actually just sits on the wee pad because the ground itself is covered with ice. He's also extremely easily distracted by EVERYTHING. He tries to eat acorns. He does everything but use the potty. I don't know how else I can get the point across to him.

My husband and I are in the process of buying a new house and we should be able to move into it in a couple weeks. So even if we teach Otis that it's okay to potty inside on the wee pad here, will it be like a fresh new start at the new house? Or will he think that it's still okay to potty inside? We have no carpet at all in the new house, so that's good, but I still don't want him peeing and pooping on my hardwood floors! Help!

(Thanks for all the advice given thus far! I really appreciate it!) :)
china_cat84

Post by china_cat84 »

Oh, I forgot to say (just in case someone mentions it!) that there's nothing I can do about the ground being covered in ice - we had an ice storm yesterday morning and the ground is covered in a thick layer. We've tried ice melt (ice just melts partially and refreezes), chipping it away (too thick), and trying to scrape it away (still too thick). The best I could do was I scooped on area on the lawn for him to go - I scooped as much ice and snow away as I could and you can see pieces of grass poking up. But the area still has ice and snow.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Keep trying he has to go eventually! Trying stuff like moving some of his mess outside often does help, if you have to go out or otherwise leave him then a pad is better than nothing.

Do you crate him (I cant recall now) - if not I would, unless he goes in the crate already. If you can, crate him by your bed so when he wants to go you can whip him outside and give him a few goes at 'in and then out' then - pick him up if walking to the door means he is likely to go.

Start this now and carry it on in your new house, whilst I suspect the new house means you will crack it, getting used to the level of vigilance required and trying now to crack it will do no harm.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant