Double Trouble

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Kim143

Double Trouble

Post by Kim143 »

I am trying to stop my dogs from jumping everytime they see me or anyone really. They are 2 IGGYS and weigh between 7 &10 pounds. I have tried ignoring them, turning my back to them, walking out of the room, having them sit and wait to be pet, and I have put them in a different room until they are calm but it doesnt make a difference. Actually, the problem only exists when they are together. If they are not together they are totally different dogs to some extent. They both listen so well when they are not together but the second they get together they have selected hearing and could care less what I am asking them to do...lol. They jump about 4 feet off the ground, a little higher if you are ignoring them, or they will jump on your lap and lick your face the second you sit down and they can get to you. They will eventually listen if I pretty much get right up to their ear and tell them off and relax but who wants to do that all the time...lol. If I ignore the problem and let them do what they want within about 5 to 10 minutes they have greeted everyone and they calm down and go back to playing with each other but I would prefer them to stay seated so they can be greeted and then everyone can go about their business. They just get to excited. THey will sit but once they are pet they think that is their release sign and they can go back to being little nut cases. :)

They have come along way since I got them and I have received some great advice from everyone on here so thank you for all your advice and please keep it coming.

THANKS ALL!! :D
Nettle

Re: Double Trouble

Post by Nettle »

What's an IGGY?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Kim143

Post by Kim143 »

Italian Greyhounds
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Thank you :D

May we now have some more information - how old, how long have you had them, what is their daily routine, when fed, when walked and how long for, when trained, what else do they do, anything else like that, no information too small :D

Then we can help.

Kim143

Post by Kim143 »

They are 2 females, one is 1 year 7 months and the other is 8 months. They are litter boxed trained but get 2 daily walks anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour or so on average and then I try to take them to the park twice a week but somtimes the weather doesnt allow that. They are fed twice a day, once in the morning and once in the early evening. They know their basic commands - sit, down, stay, come, roll over, leave it, touch, crawl, & I think thats it. Like I said before, when they are seperated they both listen much better. Its when they are together that they dont want to listen as well. I can get them to sit but once they are pet they think thats their release command to go nuts again and I need them to learn that they need to remain seated unitl told otherwise and no more jumping... :D I think I answered everything you asked. Thanks again!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Nettle will I am sure have some other ideas to add in, but...

Have you done clicker training with them - if not, go have a look at the clicker training thread in teh Articles area of the forum.

Now take each dog seperately and teach them to sit..... and then increase the duration of that sit. You could use a new cue word if you wanted (one you will remember though when they are getting silly, no good using a cue you will forget or wouldnt naturally say!), to specifically mean 'sit and wait until released'.

To increase the duration of a behaviour you withhold the click for the time you want - so if you want a 3 second sit... you dont click until the dog has been sat for 3 seconds (obviously you start with a dog who kows how to sit or you teach that first!). If you want a 5 second sit... dont click until five seconds of sitting.

Gradually increase the sit until its five minutes.... ten minutes.... etc (Im not sure how comfy sitting is for Italian Greyhounds though with their bony butts...).

If you can, get a friend to help and you can then teach the sit 'whilst someone walks about' and 'whilst someone touches me' and 'whilst someone makes a noise over there'.

Do this seperately though and THEN when you want to do it with them together start from the beginnign with them both, Both sit for 3 seconds. Both sit for 5 seconds...... Both sit when someone else is in the room. Both sit for 5 seconds whilst someone else touches them.... etc etc. Back tot he start and build it up gradually.

I suspect that both know 'sit' but only for a few seconds, and neither of them know 'sit' in the context you want to use it 'ie, 'with my friend, whilst someones here, when i want to greet them and im all excited'.

You MUST 'proof' behaviours in lots of environments, for different durations and with different distractions otherwise its NOT actually learned and the dog doesnt really truly understand what you are asking for!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Sounds as if they have a pretty good life :D and we only have one little thing to fix.

As Emms says, you have to train each one separately and then both together.

I work on a principle of "four feet on the ground and you get attention: any feet off the ground and you don't". It's a little different from Emms's way, and I'm not saying either way is better! I think an extra arrow in the quiver can be useful.

Do this when you have plenty of time, because it takes as long as it takes. You need the reactions of a rattlesnake in high summer.

Dog on her own with you and on a leash. Offer her a treat holding the treat low. If she takes with four feet on ground, give to her and praise. When she lifts a foot off the ground, jumps, whatever, keep the leash taut so she can't reach you and back off a step, avoiding eye contact, turning your head away. She wil offer a variety of behaviours to get you back. Soon as four paws are on the ground (or she sits) step towards her: soon as she lifts a paw, step back and look away from her.

This will become a little country dance for the next few minutes.

Soon as she is offering a longer time with four feet on the ground, up the reward (two sweeties) and finish the session some way that she likes but does not involve her jumping up eg you sit on the floor and make a fuss of her. Do not end the session on this good note and then start immediately with the other dog because that makes her think "Huh, I stayed on the ground all four and now I seem to be on time out".

Build on this so that every interaction (leash on, toy given, food given) requires four feet on the ground. Add a word if it makes you feel comfortable eg "off". Do not say "down" do not make quick movements, say anything else at all. Crucial to the success of this is taking the reward (your attention) away as soon as a paw comes off the ground.

Expect the dogs to try harder by jumping more to begin with. This is the same syndrome that has us turning the key again when the car doesn't start, or pressing the keyboard harder when it freezes. Stay calm, stay focussed: all you are wanting is four feet on the ground.

Kim143

Post by Kim143 »

Thank you so much, I will keep you posted. :D