peeing

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jeep62

peeing

Post by jeep62 »

We have a 6 month old Yorkie, she on the average is a good dog. But she will play in the living room floor and run then squat and pee. She will not poop in the house and when we are not home we do keep her in a little area called her space. We are usually gone several hours a day. So therefor she has a puppy pad down on the floor. We need to know should we not put a pad down. And what can we do so she can play in the house and not pwee on the floor in the living room.
Thanks, MIke
Leigha

Re: peeing

Post by Leigha »

Interrupt her play, take her out potty, praise her for going, then let her come back in to play some more.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Many dogs have problems when these pads are used, you have taught her that it is ok to pee in the house by using them. I would take her right back to the beginning and retrain her, it will be much easier for you and her and she should get it quicker.

Get rid of those pads, they make it a lot more difficult to get your dog to toilet outside, many don’t never do.

Take her outside so you can give lots and lots and lots of praise when she goes.

Take her outside as soon as she wakes up

Take her outside before and after she has been fed, some prefer to go before, some after, and some dogs like to go both.

Take her outside after a training or play session, if the play session is going on and she is in danger of going on the floor, stop the game and take her outside.

As she is 6 months old, take her outside every 45 minutes in between.

Give her lots and lots and lots of praise when she goes outside, make her feel wonderful and if she is still doing the double pee, don’t bring her in as soon as she goes, let her walk round a little more to make sure her tank is empty.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

I have a method of toilet training a puppy. Since it is all in the nose, when I got my puppy from the breeder I took some of the newspaper she had put down for the pups home with me, I took it outside to one area where I wanted the pup to toilet all the time, put the paper on the grass so the pup could smell it. I did this for a couple of days and then removed the paper because the wee had soaked into the grass. It worked really well for me. I would never leave a puppy in the house to run free until that pup was older and could hold it for long periods of time. The pup was in a crate and as soon as I got home, picked it up and took it outside, I never let it walk around first. Pick it up and take it directly outside, put it down where you want it to go and wait until it does it's job.

I have 3 dogs, Maia was trained by my old dog to go outside, Maia trained Kai her mate and they trained their son Tre' to go outside, they have one spot in the yard that they go in, the "pee" paper trick worked very well for them. If you are using the wee pad, try this to see if you can train this puppy to go where You want it to go. Be consistant in whatever method you use.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

PS, I used this with poo as well, I put poo in that area and left it there for a couple days, picked it up after the puppy pood a new job and left the new job there until the next time. It's all in the nose.
The best days are spent with my dogs.