Help! We got a runner!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Jinxy

Help! We got a runner!

Post by Jinxy »

We are clueless as to what to do at this point. We knew it was in his breed but we just want him to stay safe. We got him from a rescue about 3 weeks ago. Last night was the 2nd time he got loose. It was blizzard like conditions and he slipped out of my hand on the leash last night. Luckily, we were able to track and after 2 hours he was back home sleeping safe and warm. But the 1st time he was gone for 20 hours.

Both times it has happened he will just take off. He doesn't run full out, but more prances around going up to each and every house. We do have a fenced in yard but its been mishaps that has allowed him to get out. We also make sure he gets daily exercise, usually twice a day unless we are away.

What can we do other then tags, microchipping etc to ensure his safety if he does run?

And is there anything we can do to ensure he doesn't run?

Also, if he runs and we can find him how to we get him to come to us instead of thinking it is a game of cat and mouse?

He has been with us a short time but he is a part of this family.

Thank you!
emmabeth

Re: Help! We got a runner!

Post by emmabeth »

Get better at closing gates and doors to start with - sounds daft and obvious but the number of people I know who will do things like, let go of the dog lead whilst they walk up the front path to the door.... or stand around with the door wide open as they enter the house and NOT think that the dog might see something and dash off... astounds me!

Practice, using a long leash, the commands you use in the house and in the yard, out on the street. Practice them with him near you and with him 30ft away at the end of the leash. Practice them at first when theres no distractions around say early morning or late night, and build up to when there are distractions about.

When a dog has escaped and is running, DONT CHASE - thats a game and this is what hes doing, leading you a merry dance around beause its fun.

One of my dogs will do this if she escapes - we dont chase her. We take another dog lead (even if shes wearing one) and we head up to the fields where she likes to play. She follows us because thats a cool walk and she likes it, we play with her up there and then she will recall and have the lead back on and go home. (Shes 14... you would think by now... but no..:lol:)

Dogs running away from you, or chasing something, are MUCH more likely to respond to a stop or sit command... than a recall.

Recall involves stopping chasing/running away, turning around AND then coming back to you. Also a great many 'pre owned' dogs will have sadly learned to associate recall commands, especially in 'escape' situations with being punished when they come back. This leads to them either not coming at all or coming close but not near enough for you to catch them, playing 'keep away' and dancing out of your reach because they expect to get yelled at or hit. If you think this is your dog - change your recall command (consider a whistle as it will NEVER give away desperation, anger, fear, frustration etc like your voice will!) and practice that as a fun game.

Often instead of recalling, you can get a dog to sit and wait for you to come to them and get them - another of my dogs will do this where he wont recall because hes gotten silly. I have taught him sit and wait until they are ROCK solid, so that where 'come' is too difficult. he will now sit and wait and ill go get him.

In truly emergency situations you need to keep a clear head, not panick, not get angry - very very difficult. You are better off turning around going back in your house and getting the really good treats out, than you are chasing him around.

Then, YOU run around, away from him, play chase with your partner or a friend - squeal and be silly, basically have a game HE wants to take part in! If its safe, lie down on the floor and giggle, I have caught errant dogs by suddenly finding something REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY interesting to investigate (OOh wahts THIS oh wow thats SO cool wow oh boy oh boy...') and they have GOT to come and see what i have found... Think outside the box, stay fun and use whatever you have to your advantage. If your dog likes to go in the car, get in the car, open the door, run the engine - I know a whole bunch of dogs would come running from quite a distance to get in the car.

A word of warning though - if you use the car or a leash or food or a game to 'trick' a dog back to you - you MUST NOT LIE. If he comes back to dive in the car you GO for a short drive. If he comes back to play a game you play that game, if he comes back as you have the leash and that means walkies you Go for a walk...

Dogs learn damn fast that some people tell lies and cant be trusted so if you lie to your dog in a situation like this - you will be extremely unlikely to earn his trust that way again.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Esprit64

Post by Esprit64 »

My two-year-old lab mix, who is high-energy, will still take off on occasion. However, my problem got better, I sense --because I stepped-up meeting her energy needs by walking --and exercising her diligently with stimulating, favorite-fun games. My dog is walked one-hour daily, sometimes more, and I meet her need to chase/fetch--or whatever her interests are. Nonetheless, with the right stimulation to run (who knows what causes it), you can see something click in her head, then ("oh, gee, I think I'll run away today"). Maybe aging helps, too, I notice that she's not doing it as often as before. When she returns, no matter how frustrated I am, I make sure that I'm warm/positive, happy she came back to me. Here's something else I'm doing--she likes to run?? Well, I put on roller-skates or stand on a snowboard--and I have her pull me. It's fun for her and me (she's 60 lbs.--any dogs over 30 lbs. are best). When she returns home, she's too tired to run. I'd like to say that I trained her successfully to return on cue--since I cannot seem to cause her to do that--I settle for tiring her out instead. She associates me with fun, which also helps the problem.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I used to have a Whippet/Labrador, Tommy was a wonderful lady but impossible to keep in, she would jump 6ft 7ins to get out after a 2 hour run off lead so lack of exercise wasn't her problem. The only way to keep a dog in is good fencing, 6ft with the last 18/24ins sloping inwards to make it difficult for your dog to get over. If your dog is escaping because of carelessness, then make sure that doesn't happen again. Anyone can make one mistake and not close the gate properly, but to do it again after your dog has escaped is carelessness and neglect.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

My boy slips out on occassion but the technique I now use is to open my van door, I say "go car" & in he goes. If you can take him for a short ride then do it. But if you can't , give him a treat, lots of praise then bring him back inside. I do this b/c sometimes he escapes when I'm leaving for work & can not go for a ride with him. He gets rewarded for going into the car. So I don't think he will mistrust you b/c he thinks going into the car ALWAYS means a ride. It hasn't happened to me. It's a gamble like anything else for a dog, For Ex: one day he finds chicken in the garbage, the next day nothing--but he will still raid the garbage every chance he gets. Max gets into the car each & every time. In fact when he does escape he looks first to see if car door is open. If not he'll start to run, I'll open the door and he comes back to get in. Before I would call him, get treats & eventually while he stopped to sniff something I'd get him. Getting into the car is so much easier.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Depends on the dog. Many types you would only ever lie to once. These would be the same dogs that don't raid the garbage unless there is something good in there! :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

My horse was very good at getting out of fields and stables, he could undo bolts etc. the only way to get him was to put some food in a bucket and offer it to him as he ran past, he always stopped and put his head in the bucket, one horse caught.

One day he escaped and some idiot, knowing that he had to have food in his bucket couldn't be bothered to put any in, his head went in the buckety, no food, he never forgot it. 25 years later he was still checking the bucket as he ran past to make sure there was food in before putting his head in.

You may get away with lying to some dogs, but the majority you won't, I wouldn't be able to with my dogs.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Maximoo, maybe just being in the car is reward enough for your dog, mine loves the car enough that he once ended up on a strangers lap when they opened their car door as we walked past :oops: If you wanted Shadow to come back when he got out then he wanted proof that you had something better than a handful of dog biscuits before he'd get within reach.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Each dog is different. Telling Max to "go car" works for us. I always have treats in the car so in any event he knows he gets something, a ride or treats. It's all good to him. As long as it works I'll keep doing it, but the main thing is that I have to keep him from slipping out in the 1st place. He usually gets out under the kids legs & sometimes mine--usually b/c I'll forget to tell him to sit/stay so it's my bad. lol...
OP you know your dog best, try everyone's suggestion to see what works best for you & your boy GOOD LUCK!
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

Obedience training will teach you how to get this dog to come back to you, it's called Recall training. Maia use to do this and it did the trick. I would chase her and she thought it was a game, one that could have had deadly consiquences for her. The only way I could get her to come back was to run in the oppisite direction, that worked but was not acceptable. So off to obedience training we went, problem solved. The boys will come to me any time I call them.

I cry "obedience training" all the time. I am sure some are sick to death of me saying this, BUT a well trained dog is a happy and safe dog" Happy because they are not getting into trouble. It might cost a bit but worth every cent. If you can't afford the class, try looking for DVD's online. I get many things like this from Half Priced Books or used one's on Amazon.com

After 61 years of having dogs either as house pets or working dogs, I still don't know everything and have forgotten training methods so I make a point to take a new dog to obedence class.
The best days are spent with my dogs.