six month old puppy that bite's very hard

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

debitot

six month old puppy that bite's very hard

Post by debitot »

My Puppy Tristan is six month's old, He hates brushing and I cannot even get a leash or anything without being bitten.He bit so hard yesterday he brought blood bad.I really wanted to give him up.I really need help. I have had him since four week's old. HELP!! Please.I cannot walk him outdoor's yet, I've yet to get a leash on him. He bite's too hard. Thank You.
whenhoundsfly

Re: six month old puppy that bite's very hard

Post by whenhoundsfly »

When did you acquire this puppy? Do you know its early (month 1-3 history). Bite inhibition is first taught by the mother and when humans "get" the puppy typically at week 8-16 it is critical that handling paired with a positive reinforcer (i.e. food) is done regularly so the dog is used to being handled.

At 6 months old (24 weeks) if it cannot accept handling, there is considerably more work to be done.
I am working on a 5 year old beagle that bites when handled roughly and he has bitten me hard enough to require stitches. When that I happened, I was extremely angry AT MYSELF for pushing him over threshold by accident.

You should consult a behaviorist of trainer that can work with you on a program of Desensitization and Classical Counter Conditioning.
The way to address this issue now is through remedial work that should have been done weeks 8-16. Now it's like juggling chainsaws since jaw strength is strong enough to cause harm.

In your left hand carry a piece of food that is highly rewarding. Say a pea sized piece of cheese or meat. Hide it behind your back.
Approach your dog and gently, slowly place your right hand near your dog's collar. Don't even touch him yet. As your right hand approaches the dog's collar (not touching, just near), take your left hand and feed your dog.

Repeat this process dozens of times and you will start to notice your dog exhibiting signs of anticipation and pleasure as your right hand approaches.
At that point, proceed to gently touch your dog's neck, and repeat the process again. Look for signs of happiness, and slowly increase the intensity in which you touch.

Over days, weeks, etc. you will make progress where you can now touch your dog's collar/neck area and illicit what is called a conditioned emotional response (of happiness) since your touch is a predictor of a primary reinforcer.

I would also have to ask whether or not anyone has hit your dog in any way shape or form. It seems extremely odd to me that a dog would be so fearful of even the proximity of your hands to bite, vs. a firm collar crab etc.

Best of luck,

Andre
When Hounds Fly
Tailwags and Clicks,

http://www.whenhoundsfly.com
whenhoundsfly

Post by whenhoundsfly »

N.B
Sometimes a picture paints a thousand words. Or a video a million. Here is a video of how I began counter conditioning that 5 year old beagle to accept paw cleaning. It was summer at the time. It's winter now and the sidewalks are slushy and covered in salt and dirt, so I had to make sure for the sake of my floors I could clean his paws without getting my arms turned into ground beef.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWD3nCeiiPA
Tailwags and Clicks,

http://www.whenhoundsfly.com
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Great post whenhoundsfly thanks!

Debitot - what have you tried to combat Tristans biting? Its important we know this as then we can figure out where to start.

Also how much exercise does he get each day and in what form, whats his usual day like? And, what is he fed and when.

Can you take a look at viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513&sid=a1fec617ca ... 3f570b3fb8 and familiarise yourself with clicker training if you don't already know about it as this will help loads, both with addressing the specific problem and in working on the bond between you so that you can address the problem.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
pat

Post by pat »

At four weeks this puppy was much too young to leave his mother and this could be part of the problem. If you are unable to make any progress I would consider consulting a dog behaviourist who can see the problem first hand and advise on how to help you and your dog.
Getting eliminated is all part of the fun, or so I was told
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Mmm... actually at four weeks old a lot of bitches will have relatively little to do with a pup... but... leaving the littermates at this age is a BIG deal, its really they who will do the bulk of the teaching as to what is and isnt acceptable, biting wise. Mum would (and does) just up and leave.

Anyway - we need a bit more information really.

As for getting a leash on - wait until pup is asleep and is tired out, and attach a length of washing line or similar (without a loop at the end) to pups collar and then this can be left trailing for a while so there is a leash already there to grab when needs be.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant